Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Squealing in the Dizzy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lvnzdrm
Hey guys! I have a 1971 914-4. The motor was running fine and only needed a reseal. when the motor went back in it started and ran with no issue for 5 minutes. I shut it off to check oil level and when I started it back up I had a squealing noise. I checked the belt all ok, I felt the dizzy and it was getting hot, the coil (new) was leaking oil, replaced coil, lubed center shaft of dizzy (under felt pad) and greased the cam lob. Squealing noise still there. installed a new dizzy. ( W06 Chinese Knockoff) noise still there. Is there something I am missing? I have search all around and can not find a solution I have not already tried. Frustrated!! Jon see attached video
SLITS
Alternator bearing.

Old alternator belt (hardened from heat)

Cooling Impeller or Alternator pulley rubbing against tin.

Rear main seal lips pushed outward due to excessive pressure in crankcase (usually a chirping sound).

Hell of an vacuum leak somewhere.

Take a 2 ft section of 3/4" heater hose and put one end to your ear and move the other end around the engine to determine where the sound is coming from

or

buy a Harbor Freight Mechanic's Stethoscope and do the same.

I have no further ideas!
lvnzdrm
The belt is new, I started the motor without the belt and the noise is still there. I will check the fan hitting the engine tin. Thanks for the input. I'll try and see what I can find this evening and keep things posted.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(lvnzdrm @ Nov 23 2013, 12:01 PM) *

The belt is new, I started the motor without the belt and the noise is still there. I will check the fan hitting the engine tin. Thanks for the input. I'll try and see what I can find this evening and keep things posted.

Run it for a moment with the oil cap removed ......................................

The Cap'n
lvnzdrm
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 23 2013, 01:51 PM) *

QUOTE(lvnzdrm @ Nov 23 2013, 12:01 PM) *

Run it for a moment with the oil cap removed ......................................

The Cap'n

I ran it with out the oil cap off... what am I looking for the noise is still present. Thanks for the help.
lvnzdrm
I pulled the belt, pulled the cooling fan, noise still there. Ideas?? Thanks in advance.
r_towle
What did you do, specifically, when you had the motor resealed?

Rich
lvnzdrm
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 24 2013, 01:29 PM) *

What did you do, specifically, when you had the motor resealed?

Rich

Pulled the motor and trans, front main seal, oil cooler, valve adjustment, valve cover gaskets, rear main seal, rear oil galleries, tapped and yes they are flush, check end play in spec, front trans pump seal. clean and painted all hardware, new alternator. car had been setting in a car port for 21 years, ran and drove just leak oil. I have done the hose thing trying to pinpoint the noise and have nothing. Very frustrated. Is it possible a valve is tight? I drove the car 4 miles with the noise there. It has to be something simple. I also checked all the carb for vacuum leak. Current running a single carb. Thanks for any help.
davesprinkle
Put a couple of drops of oil on the felt for the points.
Rand
It ain't the dizzy.
r_towle
Front main seal requires you remove the hub for the fan.
How did that work out.
Did you have any issues?

You replaced the oil galley plugs?
How did you pull them and tap them without getting aluminum scraps into the oil galleys?
914_teener
This is a total shot in the dark.....

But I did almost all of the rear end of my car this Summer and had a funny squeeking squeel noise.

Sounded like a loose belt. After much aggravation it turned out to be a couple of loose bolts on the rear valance.

I advise what Slits said....get a hose and try to nail the location of the noise down.
old dog
QUOTE(lvnzdrm @ Nov 23 2013, 05:55 AM) *

Hey guys! I have a 1971 914-4. The motor was running fine and only needed a reseal. when the motor went back in it started and ran with no issue for 5 minutes. I shut it off to check oil level and when I started it back up I had a squealing noise. I checked the belt all ok, I felt the dizzy and it was getting hot, the coil (new) was leaking oil, replaced coil, lubed center shaft of dizzy (under felt pad) and greased the cam lob. Squealing noise still there. installed a new dizzy. ( W06 Chinese Knockoff) noise still there. Is there something I am missing? I have search all around and can not find a solution I have not already tried. Frustrated!! Jon see attached video

I build a fair amount of Alfa engines for a living and lately we've had a few rear main seals squeel just after start up and lasting for up to the first hour of break in. It's really un-nerving to hear, but eventually just goes away. Doesn't seem to matter what you put on them during installation. I think they were all Orange, possibly "Corteco" brand.Could that be what you are hearing ?
lvnzdrm
No valance on the car, I have used the hose and can not pinpoint the noise to any specific area, replacing the front seal went fine. checked all hardware tin for tightness, rear main seal could be an issue, when the motor stops it is a sudden squeak so I am sure it is motor related. In the process of pulling the hub to run the motor with out it and check the seal. Thanks for all the help. I'll keep you guys posted.
SLITS
Last two areas:

1.) Throw out bearing though noise might go away when stepping on the clutch.

2.) Pilot bearing in flywheel.

Just a couple more areas

The questions were never asked if the noise level varies with RPM or is the noise present only when driving?
lvnzdrm
The noise doesn't change when the clutch is pushed in. When the engine revs up the noise becomes more faint. It may be due to engine noise. I listen from under the car and you can not hear it. The pilot bearing makes sense to me. Am gong to pull the motor back out and check rear main seal and clutch. Thanks for the help. I'll keep you posted after the holidays.
lvnzdrm
I pulled the motor and replaced the pilot bearing, repaired the leaking main seal, attended the Dr. Evil clinic in Charles City at Scotty B's place. Motor and transmission are back in and running great. The noise is a vacuum leak at idle. I'll live with it until I can get a set of duals. Thanks for the help and input.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.