Full Version: DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS IS WORTH
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jamez
They should pay you to take it =)

Looks beat and repainted

its a 1.8 and with no battery, tray looks rewelded, common problem

who knows if it even runs, check that out first

More of a waste fo space than worth anything to me

unless you need parts like a tranny or center console (if they work that is)

shift knob is secured poorly by the looks of things

doesn't even have fuchs but after market rims

I'd also check the longitudinals

If body is solid $900US, if it runs 1500US

4 grand for a car like this is hysterical. A total rip off.

run don't walk away from this one LOL He couldn't give this one away to me
Mueller
depends on how solid the chassis really is and why the motor does not run...nothing wrong with the 1.8 motor, only ignorant people diss'n something they don't know anything about IPB Image

if the chassis is good and the paint job done half-way decent, then it is worth a few grand easily since finding cars in okay condition back East is getting harder and harder.....the bumpers look to be in great shape....motors are easy to fix/replace, it's all the other little things that can get real expensive, real fast....
IROCPORSCHE73
IPB Image IPB Image THANKS ,I DIDNT HAVE THE HEART TO TELL THE GUY HIS CAR IS WORTH MAYBE 2000 AT THE OUTSIDE .IT DOESNT RUN . THANKYOU KINDLY FOR YOUR INPUT IPB Image
rick 918-S
looks good to me. If your interested call the dealer or email for more photos. The battery tray rust looks normal. Have someone local check the hell hole. If it doesn't run you'd be pulling the motor anyway. While it's out blast the rust damage by the battery and clean it up.
MarkG
"No Reserve". No bids so far but an opening price $4100.00 = that IS a "reserve"....

I paid $2500 for a pretty fine car that ran (but doesn't now - my fault) and minimal rust in the battery tray, rebuilt 2.0 Euro engine and some other upgrades. $4100 opening bid on a 1.8 not running seems a bit high......
Qarl
My estimate (and I've owned 3 1.8s) is $2000 to $2500 max.

There are supposedly some NEW parts added on (windshield chrome, front lights and side marker lenses, new vented rocker panels, porsche letters, porsche numbers, new old stock rubber bumpers front and back, etc.) If they are really new, then those little parts are worth $750 new.

Even if the motor is a "core" at $400, and the body as a roller is worth $900 or $1000 ... You fall in this range.

It has stainless exaust... (that must be the exchangers)...
Root_Werks
It looks nice, but would want to check it out top to bottom before offering more than $1000 for it.
Gint
It's a great car for a grand. Not $4k though for sure.

IROCPORSCHE73, are you on you local mailing list? If so, who?
GWN7
The car looks great. From the photos shown it looks very clean. The only drawback is that it dosen't run. If it did, that car would bring 6K+ on ebay. That is if the rest of the car is as good as the pictures shown.

While everyone likes a deal, you could buy that car and stick a used engine in it (if the one in it can't be fixed easily) and be driving a nice car for under 5k.

Have someone who is closer take a look in person. (I'd like to see what is under all those tarps in the background) That way you would know what your buying.

Another way of valuing it is to take the value of the car in running condishion... say $6500 and deduct 1/3 the cost of what a rebuilt engine would cost (say $6000) so $6500 less $2000 and it's $4500 car. Why deduct? Because it's a used car and a rebuilt engine will give you 10 or more years driving time on it. A lot more than if the motor that is in it was running.
tracks914
BTW - I like those rims...not on that colour car but they look good on a black 914.
You have to ask too, why is the engine not running? FI, ignition, or mechanical? Types IV's are not know to grenade but just wear out. This means it should still run mechanically unless the rings are seized and there is no compression. Electrically and FI would be relatively cheap to repair (at least on 1.7 and 2.0's but I'm have no experience with 1.8's yet) Either way you should be able to get it running for less than 1K I would think. If all else is good shape then just read this thread and decide what you want to do.914 Value
The seller sounds honest-IE he's not trying to over-sell it (aside from the price) and there's 1500 or so in new parts you could easily sell...if the unibody is solid, and you're planning on doing the work your self, take a look at it. From what I see out East, that's a 2500 dollar car, if it looks good in person and runs, its a 4k car... If the engine is toasted, that its a different story...if you dont mind the idea of pulling the engine, and rebuild costs...figure in 3-5 k if you're going to have it re-built....
Trekkor
From the photos it looks better than most to me.
If the motor turns over and passes a comp test, I'd say it could be running in a couple of hours. F.I. problems can spoil the joy of these cars...I know this. ( 75 1.8 l-jet prior )

Do the test and spend the money.
$4k sounds reasonable on a recently repainted car.
If the motor needs replacing, offer $3k and see what happens.

KT
rick 918-S
Ok, someone post a picture of their $ 2000.00 914 with a fresh repaint with all the key parts that make the car look top shelf. It can be running badly or not running. The way this thread is going there must be a bunch of them out there for sale right now.

Other than the battery tray issue the car looks good. The owner states the 1.8 was a runner when he got it. His ad seems factual. I like the car. I think it deserves a closer look. Repaints can look good on ebay. But I don't think it's a beater.

BTW: anyone had a car painted lately? trunks included? What did that cost?
Gint
QUOTE (rick 918-S Posted on Dec 27 2004 @ 07:42 PM)
BTW: anyone had a car painted lately? trunks included? What did that cost?

Yes.

I still wouldn't pay $4k for that particular 914. If I were to see it and the it holds up to the seller's claims, and the paint job is actually nice (and not a $00 Maaco special), I might pay $3k for it.
John
From what is shown in the pics, the car actually doesn't look all that bad. I would have to say that ebay is a crappy way to buy a 914 any way you look at it. Unless I can see, feel, and poke around on one, I would definately NOT buy one on ebay.

The car looks to be fairly solid with the exception of the battery tray rust.

I would guess that the trunks were resprayed, but the engine compartment and under the cowl area were never resprayed. The front trunk seal is removed and the channel looks free of holes/rust.

I don't care for the wheels.

The engine not running... The owner never said that it didn't run, but said that it hasn't run in 2 1/2 years. It could be anything from being out of gas to electrical gremlins to a seized up motor......

That is my summary.

For the right buyer (not me) it may be worth that much. I think that if one were to look carefully, one could buy a running car for that price.
jim912928
Rick....my car was stripped down to bare metal and then repainted (trunks, jams etc.)...after stripping they found one area that had filler due to a fender bender and did some hammering on the metal...total was 6k.
SGB
IPB Image
What a variety of responses....
I initially thought $1500.
I hope it is worth more.
There is another thread about 914 pricing that makes valid points. I've put a boatload of $ into mine. It still is only a $5k car. Why? In some ways it is good. Value doesn't go down anyway- can't get much cheaoer and still be insurable, I guess Really, who would trust their transportation responsibilities to any car this cheap? IPB Image $3k will buy a ragged honda or toyota that will need as much $ to make semi-reliable, and will continue to devalue to the point of scrap. any 914 that is still in a single unit and not bent will have some value to someone someday. The newest Panorama includes 914s just like they were never bastard children, so maybe the prices will rise someday. IPB Image 356s weren't always as valued as they appear to be today. There do seem to be some pretty well sorted out cars here in the ads or at PP. I would rather buy one of those instead of one that has been parked two years- at least for 4K IPB Image
So I hope this car sells for big $. But I hope I find a better one for less $ when I'm lookin fer another, and I think that is likely. IPB Image
skline
The car is worth whatever someone will pay for it. We here are a bunch of cheap bastards so you really need to evaluate it for yourself and go from there.
Trekkor
worth whatever someone will pay for it

Exactly. IPB Image
I bought mine for $2200. I would of paid $5200 if it had new paint. IPB Image

I had a $6500 buy budget when I got back in...

KT
Root_Werks
E-bay is tough to buy any complete car from. Hence my remark about not paying more than $1k on this 914 unless I saw it in person and had a chance to look it over really well. It LOOKS like a $4k car, but how do I know that? I don't and won't unless I go out and look at it. So I think it really has a value of undetermined right now. Whoever pays whatever, good luck and I hope the car turns out to be as good as it looks. If it was a good running/driving 914, I would be happy to own that one. IPB Image
cgnj
Am I the only one who noticed the huge hole in the firewall?

Carlos
Aaron Cox
i see a hole in the engine sound pad IPB Image
Mission Beach
We just bought a 1974 1.8 with a broken trans for $1200. The car had the 2 liter fuchs, a clean interior and appeared to be in pretty good shape. It is no where near as nice looking as the car in the photos. Ours runs great but needs some minor rust repair, a trans fix and paint. I had a local guy in SoCal quote me $2500 to $3000 for a quality paint job. If the car in the pics was done right..... that puts the car at or near value. On a 30 year old car, your going to have to deal with the mechanical side sooner than later anyway. It would make it much easier to swallow if the car looked great to start with.

Good luck.
Porsche Rescue
Well, stay tuned. The car may soon be coming to a Club member near you. One hint as to how much risk buying sight unseen is the background in the picture. Seller has a collection of about 100 cars in two heated steel buildings. What you see, mostly under cover except for a touring car, is some of his collection. Building has balconies on each side (you can see the support posts) with cars stacked on top of cars. He is in the process of thinning the herd. Car ran when work started 2.5 years ago. Individual who did the body/paint work was not able to finish the car for health reasons. Seller will get it running well enough to drive on a van for shipment.
The plan: use the engine, bumpers and a few other pieces to restore my phoenix red (avatar) '74 back to stock. Several of those attending WCC '04 questioned the 916 type bumpers on a car with only 33,000 total miles. The orange car will receive my carbed 2.0 and all the trick stuff from the p. red car and then become my autocrosser. I will then have a racer and a garage queen which I can dust (and drive to WCC if I get it done by April, which is a long shot).
Bleyseng
Don't look too bad to me at all but I would want to look deeper into the hell hole.
Looks pretty good at in all.

Geoff IPB Image
rick 918-S
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Dec 29 2004, 03:22 PM)
Well, stay tuned. The car may soon be coming to a Club member near you. One hint as to how much risk buying sight unseen is the background in the picture. Seller has a collection of about 100 cars in two heated steel buildings. What you see, mostly under cover except for a touring car, is some of his collection. Building has balconies on each side (you can see the support posts) with cars stacked on top of cars. He is in the process of thinning the herd. Car ran when work started 2.5 years ago. Individual who did the body/paint work was not able to finish the car for health reasons. Seller will get it running well enough to drive on a van for shipment.
The plan: use the engine, bumpers and a few other pieces to restore my phoenix red (avatar) '74 back to stock. Several of those attending WCC '04 questioned the 916 type bumpers on a car with only 33,000 total miles. The orange car will receive my carbed 2.0 and all the trick stuff from the p. red car and then become my autocrosser. I will then have a racer and a garage queen which I can dust (and drive to WCC if I get it done by April, which is a long shot).

IPB Image Like I said. I think the car deserves a second look. The P.O. has some of the right parts to make the car nice if you finish it. Hope it turns out great for you.
GWN7
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Dec 29 2004, 03:22 PM)
One hint as to how much risk buying sight unseen is the background in the picture. Seller has a collection of about 100 cars in two heated steel buildings. What you see, mostly under cover except for a touring car, is some of his collection. Building has balconies on each side (you can see the support posts) with cars stacked on top of cars.

Like I said in an earlier post, I'd like to see what else is in that garage. If you look at the first picture and the one of the rear of the car, you can count all (or part of them as we found out now) the toys in that garage.

I figured he wasn't selling junk.

Congrats to who ever gets it. IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.