Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does this make my.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
J P Stein
Progress.
J P Stein
Now comes the miserable part. I wish all the paint came off this easy.
Aaron Cox
IPB Image

another one sacrificed to the F/G monster IPB Image

to each his own....

hope you like em IPB Image
Allan
It depends on the angle. Judging it solely by the picture I would have to say Yyyuuummm.
d7n7master
Looks great!!! Pop rivits ROCK!!!
Some folks like that J-Lo look IPB Image
John
Hey, I have an exhaust like that.

Something came loose inside it and it makes a clunking noise.....

I went with a sport muffler after that.
Jeroen
yes, it does... but on a car, that's not necesairily a bad thing IPB Image
got some pics from the side?
Bruce Allert
IPB Image Way to go JP

I see you got T I M E for Christmas.

Looks good. Will look even better when the F A T T I A R S S are under there IPB Image

.....b
URY914
Any/all 914's look better with flares.

IPB Image Paul
Trekkor
JP, that is so good. IPB Image

I like, I like!

More pics , please. IPB Image

KT
dlo914
what's this thing circled in the red? a coffee jar? a cookie jar? IPB Image IPB Image
joea9146
QUOTE (dlo914 @ Dec 27 2004, 12:08 AM)
what's this thing circled in the red? a coffee jar? a cookie jar? IPB Image IPB Image

Peanut jar....
Trekkor
what's this thing circled in the red?

Oil vapor catch tank or... IPB Image "puke tank".

KT
Joe Bob
Depends on how you shake it sweet cheeks..... IPB Image

BTW....a puke tank is standard equipment in NASCAR...it's hooked to the breather AND the driver's helmet....
dlo914
QUOTE (joea9146 @ Dec 26 2004, 08:14 PM)
QUOTE (dlo914 @ Dec 27 2004, 12:08 AM)
what's this thing circled in the red? a coffee jar? a cookie jar? IPB Image  :chow:

Peanut jar....

haha another good guess would've never thought that, but definitely not a Jiffy jar IPB Image
J P Stein
Mixed nuts......which seems appropraite for this crowd. IPB Image

Side view.
Trekkor
I just like them. Will you paint to match car or go all black?

May be me someday.

KT
dlo914
oOoOoOo... IPB Image ....riveted flares...they flow better than those fake tittie-LIKE flares....
J P Stein
I've pretty much decided on a color change......sumthin' faster..... IPB Image
nine14cats
JP,

I hear yellow is faster...

I can't decide on my car yet...either yellow, orange, or red....

And not Porsche colors....more like Plymouth Prowler Yellow....it will be bright on the track!

The fenders look good. I'll post some picks of the 61x10 wheels and slicks under those same fenders....I learned alot today farting around in the garage....

Bill P.
joea9146
looks good IPB Image
seanery
QUOTE (nine14cats @ Dec 27 2004, 02:21 AM)
I'll post some picks of the 61x10 wheels and slicks under those same fenders....

Holy $hit!!! IPB Image

Those are some BIG WHEELS!!!! IPB Image
maf914
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Dec 26 2004, 10:11 PM)
I've pretty much decided on a color change......sumthin' faster..... IPB Image

You must mean another color of primer! IPB Image

Looking good JP! How much fender did you cut away?
maf914
QUOTE (seanery @ Dec 27 2004, 06:48 AM)
QUOTE (nine14cats @ Dec 27 2004, 02:21 AM)
I'll post some picks of the 61x10 wheels and slicks under those same fenders....

Holy $hit!!! IPB Image

Those are some BIG WHEELS!!!! IPB Image

IPB Image

With 61" wheels I'd say Bill has really pimped that ride! IPB Image
Root_Werks
Looks great! I would love to see how much you cut away. I am betting you saved some wieght with those. IPB Image
drew365
Flares look good JP. I have a question concerning big tires and wheels on track cars. I know JP does AX so it wouldn't affect him, but at what point does larger tires and wheels become a disadvantage because of aerodynamics? I know a guy that races a 911 with huge wheels/tires and flares. He is fast on the short tight tracks but way off the pace on long tracks with long straights. I'm guessing his wheels and tires are working against him on the long tracks, especially with a narrow body car that just has the wheel wells flared out. I wonder if anyone has an educated opinion on this?
Mike T
Could I have a total width measurement from outer lip to outer lip, Please...

And maybe the return thickness(lip width)

Mike T
J P Stein
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Dec 27 2004, 08:12 AM)
Looks great! I would love to see how much you cut away. I am betting you saved some wieght with those. IPB Image

I posted this pic before, but here's a rerun. I don't think the weight savings is all that much....maybe a couple pounds per side.

Drew:

There is a rule of diminishing returns on width in AX. Wide cars are tougher to hustle thru the cones. I'm limited to 16 X 10 inch wheel width in F Prepared & there's room under those flares for 11 inch slicks. I'm pretty sure I can get 10 inchers in front. That said, I'll prolly go with 9.5 X 23 X 15 cantilever slicks. I have lots of 7 X 15 wheels......the CSOB in me strikes again IPB Image

Yellow, eh? What a plan..... IPB Image
Root_Werks
IPB Image Sweet JP! Yeah, yellow would be cool! IPB Image
J P Stein
Mike:
I'll get you those dimensions, but I can tell from your avatar that your ass is fatter than mine IPB Image
brant
NICE JOB JP...

wow you've done a great job.
me likes.....

!!!!!

brant
J P Stein
Mike:
The dimension is 71 inches. The fender lips are 5/8 in each.
Mike T
Thanks J.P. The rear on my car before the new flares was 69" wide. I'm pretty sure the flares were 9" GT style. After adding 4" per side to clear the new 14" wide wheels it measures a whopping 77". It is really too wide for the typical parking lot autocrosses held locally. The regions in this area seem to be stuck in the 1970's with 10ft gates. I collected a lot of pylons this summer... IPB Image

The 71" width is probably just about ideal. You can get plenty of tire under there.

Which front flares are you going with?

Mike T.
J P Stein
I'm leaving the front alone. With my cheater flares I went up & out....I raised the wheel arch in the front fenders bout 3/4 inch. I'm gonna need spacers(1/4 or 1/2") front & back with the cantilever slicks, tho.
datapace
J.P.,

Looks super!!! I like the look of the HPH flares much more so than the "factory" flares.

BTW, how'd you get the car that high up on those boxes?

-bryan
Sammy
YPAF!
rick 918-S
IPB Image IPB Image
morph
looks good jp IPB Image
are you going to do the finish work to them or you going to leave them rivited?
james
double-a
lookin good jp, i need to drop by sometime and see those in person. for new paint, i'd go with red i think...

~a
J P Stein
QUOTE (morphenspectra @ Dec 28 2004, 08:40 PM)
l
are you going to do the finish work to them or you going to leave them rivited?
james

They aren't riveted....yet.....they were screwed on....now they're off. I'm stripping paint....everything aft of the front fenders is coming off .....a miserable job. I am going to rivet them on.
Got me a gallon of Aircraft stripper and a shit load of abrasive
impliments of destruction. Gonna do something I've been thinking of IPB Image bout the Traga bar.
Now would be a gud time to run some tubes from the cage to the rear shock towers. There ain't no way I can get this done
for the all914 AX if it's held in March.

Aaron: I'm off wurk all week. Come on over....wear your grubbies & you can be a stripper. IPB Image
nine14cats
Hi JP,

The work looks good. Better than mine! IPB Image

I'll join you on the sidelines....I won't be making the All914 AutoX or the WCC. My project is now officially "open ended". So I'm making other plans for the coming spring.....

I've heard some people say that the targa bar weighs 40lbs+. However, I talked with Roger Sheridan who sells a f/g dupe of it and he says the targa bar that he hacked off of a car weighed in at 25lbs. Still alot of weight up high, but maybe worth it.

I'm debating on taking the targa bar off....now's the time, but I have a feeling that if I do it, I'll be down for all of 2005. That doesn't appeal to me....

But think of all the money I'd save... IPB Image

If you tear into that bar soon...post pics and weigh that thing...I wants to know!

Thanks,

Bill P.
J P Stein
Nothing that dramatic, Bill. When I get one side done, I'll post pics of that part of this clusterfuck. In the mean time, here's a shot of one side stripped/sanded.
Stephane
Looking good. PHAT it is! IPB Image

Stephane
J P Stein
More pics.....don't ya just love it?
First, the back end. The metal finishing attachment is VERY useful.
J P Stein
A pic of the setup.
J P Stein
One spot in the trunk.
Andyrew
Yum yum!! Need to get me one of those attachments..

Whats it called? Metal finishing?

Sand paper just doesnt do it for me....

Yup, I might just go with those flares..

Great pics JP!!

Andrew
J P Stein
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Dec 30 2004, 01:39 PM)
Yum yum!! Need to get me one of those attachments..

Whats it called? Metal finishing?

Well....I'm not sure exactly what they're called.
Thet come in various textures......kinda like compressed Scotchbrite. Diameters vary from 1 to 3 inches...each dia takes a different size mount. There are 2 different methods of attachment....one plastic, one metal....both need the mount with a 1/4 inch shank.....I use the metal jobbie.
The only place I can find em' is a tool supply house.
I gotta go get more tomorrow & I'll ak them the technical term
for em' .

Here's a pic of a fungial infection on my car......is it terminal?
boxstr
JP, Steve , who you met at Garys. Is a body guy, and he gave me a box of those "rice crackers", when you buy a case, like most bodyshops will do they come with a pneumatic die grinder setup for attaching the "rice cracker" to.
Let me know if you need more. Take a look at the Fuchs. There on the classifieds section.
CCLINPHATBOOTY
Bruce Allert
JP, yer camra's put'n out some psycodelic colours... artsy to say the least IPB Image how U do dat? I gotta look at'chur camra. I think sumpin psyentific is goin on IPB Image

I like da pics.. want sum 20x30's?? IPB Image

.....b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.