Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Watercooled VW / Audi motor swaps?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
2mAn
My searching hasnt gotten me very far. Im sure most of you hate the idea, and thats fine. I am in the research phase and havent done anything yet, but I am close to purchasing the 914 and want to have a solid gameplan prior to purchasing the vehicle.

SO whos done it, I know of a 20v turbo here on the board, but havent seen any others.

Thanks
-Simon
SirAndy
QUOTE(2mAn @ Nov 25 2013, 10:23 PM) *
it IS a VW afterall, right?

Actually no, the 914 was produced and sold by a independent company called the "VW Porsche Vertriebsgesellschaft".
shades.gif
jimkelly
most conversions here are either

Porsche 6 and 914 trans
chevy v8 and 914 trans
Subaru eng and trans

do what you want and have the skill for, but suby/suby is (on paper) hard to beat.

I think there is an ls1 conversion package in the classifieds right now.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=220685&hl=

jim
Mark Henry
IIRC the engine sits too high or is too long.
dlestep
There have been a few, here and there.
Only because they didn't pay attention to everyone's bitchin'.
http://youtu.be/AAP8BbKtSYg
Mike Bellis
I think it's a great idea to install a 20v turbo VW/Audi engine... Somebody should do that... happy11.gif
dlestep
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Nov 26 2013, 09:58 AM) *

I think it's a great idea to install a 20v turbo VW/Audi engine... Somebody should do that... happy11.gif

I know, Right !
Especially since it was sold through Porsche/Audi dealerships and
raced with Porsche/Audi all over everything during that time period.
Seems more correct than stuffing a Japanese whatever in it.
Cap'n Krusty
A late 90s TDi would make a nice swap ....................... More HP, a LOT more torque, stupendous fuel mileage.

The Cap'n
2mAn
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 26 2013, 12:18 AM) *

it IS a VW afterall, right?

Actually no, the 914 was produced and sold by a independent company called the "VW Porsche Vertriebsgesellschaft".
shades.gif

I was joking poke.gif

I like the 20v motor, because as you know 1.8t can nevar loooooosseeeee!!!!!!

I know a guy in Eastern Wa did an ABA -16v, but cant remember his SN right now.

I have a different setup that I plan on doing. I like the older, simpler motors. Probably because I come from the A1 chassis....

Now lets just see how long it takes Kennedy to get back to me

Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 26 2013, 07:51 AM) *

A late 90s TDi would make a nice swap ....................... More HP, a LOT more torque, stupendous fuel mileage.

agree.gif
championgt1
Not sure if he ever finished it.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...20914&st=20
2mAn
So Ive been chatting via PM with rohar who has done this swap before and he suggested something I was trying to avoid, but its a much more logical choice for those considering swapping this engine in the car; using a Passat/ Audi transmission VS a Kennedy adapter

The cost is very similar, where a Kennedy adapter is ~$400-$500. The Passat/ Audi FWD transmission can be found for around the same price. Also, because you can shop around and find the transmission in boneyards now, you can get one for less than the price of the adapter. My quick searching on car-part pulled up many in the $300-$500 range.

The transmission code to look for is one of the following DHW, DVX, EHV

Im sure there are plenty of other ones that will work, as Mike Bellis started with a Passat transmission IIRC and now is using a Boxster transmission

The part that confused me (and Im waiting for a clarification) is that rohar suggested using a transmission from a " 1.8t Variant (wagon) because the output flanges match up to 944 . Do a 5 lug conversion using 944 stubs and a pair of sway away half shafts and you're done. " This makes the conversion simpler in that there is no custom parts and forces you to convert to 5lug, which is not a bad thing.

I'd like to add more knowledge to this thread so when others decide they want to do something similar this can help guide them in the right direction.
rohar
QUOTE(2mAn @ Nov 29 2013, 11:04 AM) *

So Ive been chatting via PM with rohar who has done this swap before and he suggested something I was trying to avoid, but its a much more logical choice for those considering swapping this engine in the car; using a Passat/ Audi transmission VS a Kennedy adapter

The cost is very similar, where a Kennedy adapter is ~$400-$500. The Passat/ Audi FWD transmission can be found for around the same price. Also, because you can shop around and find the transmission in boneyards now, you can get one for less than the price of the adapter. My quick searching on car-part pulled up many in the $300-$500 range.

The transmission code to look for is one of the following DHW, DVX, EHV

Im sure there are plenty of other ones that will work, as Mike Bellis started with a Passat transmission IIRC and now is using a Boxster transmission

The part that confused me (and Im waiting for a clarification) is that rohar suggested using a transmission from a " 1.8t Variant (wagon) because the output flanges match up to 944 . Do a 5 lug conversion using 944 stubs and a pair of sway away half shafts and you're done. " This makes the conversion simpler in that there is no custom parts and forces you to convert to 5lug, which is not a bad thing.

I'd like to add more knowledge to this thread so when others decide they want to do something similar this can help guide them in the right direction.

Sorry, slightly before morning coffee when I responded to you. I'm working too many cars and my brain doesn't work without caffeine. I was thinking 911 stubs not 944. My mistake. 944 half shafts may be just long enough. I haven't measured them. My mess is using the large output flanges with adapaters so I've got no choice but custom half shafts.

That said, I think there may be a way to use 944 stubs and flanges, but I haven't proven it yet. Just grabbed a new '44 parts car and haven't torn it down yet, stand by for more on that front.

Oh, and the other thing about the Audi/VW trannies, the boxster shifters/cables bolt right up for about $100 if you shop hard. No fabrication needed.
gothspeed
QUOTE(dlestep @ Nov 26 2013, 06:45 AM) *

There have been a few, here and there.
Only because they didn't pay attention to everyone's bitchin'.
http://youtu.be/AAP8BbKtSYg

Wow, they did a very good job on it ......... smile.gif

Mike Bellis
Some Audi transmissions have a 100mm flange the mate with a Porsche CV. Some have a 130mm tripoid flange that only fits an Audi/VW CV. 5 speed Boxster flanges pop right into the tranny to retrofit. My Cayman S tranny has 108mm flanges. If I were to machine spacers (doughnuts) to sit in place of the 100mm flange bearing, I could pop those into the Passat tranny too.

From my research, a DUK coded tranny would have the best gearing for our 2000lb car. If you were running low HP then a standard Passat EZG will work fine. I have used an EZG on mine and the gearing would be perfect for an autocross weapon.
rohar
Given the engine at play, you could go with the Audi 4000/Fox 5 speed. The flanges match up with the same diameter as the 901 flanges. Since it's a low displacement turbo lump, the torque should be fairly low. The internals are similar to the 012 transverse tranny that I'm sure you're familiar with. Same advantages/disadvantages. Biggest problem is that limited slips just don't exist and you'd have to fab your own shifter/clutch solution. With a little ingenuity, I'd bet that you could even used the stock half shafts with bug CVs.
2mAn
I think Im going to have to go with the 4000 transmission. I was looking at Mikes thread and the pattern looks different. I dont think they made a Fox transmission in 5 speed either so that just leaves a FWD 4000
rohar
QUOTE(2mAn @ Nov 29 2013, 01:44 PM) *

I think Im going to have to go with the 4000 transmission. I was looking at Mikes thread and the pattern looks different. I dont think they made a Fox transmission in 5 speed either so that just leaves a FWD 4000

The pattern on Mike's transmission doesn't match any motor exactly, it's an 012. It matches all VAG motors except the VR6 smile.gif No matter what you mate it to, it'll have holes that aren't used. It has both the I5/V6/V8 pattern as well as the I4 pattern.

The latter Foxes had 5 speeds, it's the same tranny that's in the 4000. I'd buy a few of them though. They're cheap now a days and I've got a feeling you're gonna go through a couple.
Mike Bellis
I always thought it was neat the way all the Audi based trannies look very similar at the bell housing. Looks like lots of interchangeability.

012 Passat on left, 466 Cayman S on right...

Click to view attachment

Audi 4000

Click to view attachment

Porsche 944

Click to view attachment

Audi 01E

IPB Image
rohar
THANKS MIKE! That was kinda what I was trying to explain. If you look at the Audi 4000 tranny, you'll notice it's I4 WC only bolt pattern. It's a bit hard to see as the tranny seems to be tilted a little.

Now, if you look at the top photo with the audi and Porsche units, you'll notice the exact same bolt pattern exists if you just slant the engine 15 degrees but it has a whole bunch of other bosses that aren't necessary.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(rohar @ Nov 29 2013, 03:28 PM) *

THANKS MIKE! That was kinda what I was trying to explain. If you look at the Audi 4000 tranny, you'll notice it's I4 WC only bolt pattern. It's a bit hard to see as the tranny seems to be tilted a little.

Now, if you look at the top photo with the audi and Porsche units, you'll notice the exact same bolt pattern exists if you just slant the engine 15 degrees but it has a whole bunch of other bosses that aren't necessary.

Also notice the Audi 4000 & Porsche 944 share the same transmission case...
rohar
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Nov 29 2013, 03:31 PM) *

QUOTE(rohar @ Nov 29 2013, 03:28 PM) *

Also notice the Audi 4000 & Porsche 944 share the same transmission case...

And some of the Audi units even have 90mm flanges which makes them ideal targets for this type of swap, but the 944 diffs won fit in that "same case" headbang.gif
2mAn
bumping this back up since it looks like the Rabbit will finally be sold and the garage spot will be open for my project...

2mAn
BUMP

Im with you on the bellhousing side, just curious what flywheel/clutch/PP setup Id have to use. Im assuming it depends on the transmission I use, yes?

You lost me on the flanges, I know you are referring to the size that attaches to the CVs, but what size flange do the 914s have? 108mm? or 90mm?? something else??
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(2mAn @ Dec 16 2013, 11:01 AM) *

BUMP

Im with you on the bellhousing side, just curious what flywheel/clutch/PP setup Id have to use. Im assuming it depends on the transmission I use, yes?

You lost me on the flanges, I know you are referring to the size that attaches to the CVs, but what size flange do the 914s have? 108mm? or 90mm?? something else??

I believe the stock size is 94mm. Early 911 outer stub flanges will fit in either a 100mm or 108mm flange size. it's a bolt on swap if you get the right ones. if you get the wrong ones, you need a 5mm spacer ring.

I just made some 108mm flanges for my Boxster/Passat 5 speed tranny. I chocked up the flanges in my lathe, machined off the 100mm bolt pattern and carefully welded a 108mm adapter onto the flange. I then spun it in the lathe again to check it for true. I welded it like a structural double pass weld. Good heat. Good penetration. Came out pretty god and better than expected. picture will show up in my build thread soon.

BTW, I have a set of 100mm outer flanges for sale if anyone needs them.
2mAn
I'll be in San Jose next week. I might even own a 914 by then. I'll PM you when Im in town
larryM
depends on your objective - PCA frowns on hybrids - so your PCA venue options are limited

“A Porsche is defined as an automobile body and suspension which is, basically, as manufactured by or designated as a Porsche automobile by Porsche KG, Porsche AG or its successor, which is powered by an engine which is basically one which was installed in such bodies by the manufacturer of such automobiles, although not necessarily in the body concerned,” except that any Porsche engine may be installed in any Porsche-built automobile."

jeffdon
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 26 2013, 07:51 AM) *

The Cap'n

agree.gif

I have a 76 that I need to restore someday. The stock FI does not excite me. How hard would it be to use a modern TDI and retain all the TDI emissions equipment? I believe if you could do this, you could get it passed at a referee station. But once thats done, would you still need to smog every other year, and if so, how big of a pain would that be at your local smog shop?
damesandhotrods
QUOTE(larryM @ Dec 17 2013, 01:03 PM) *

depends on your objective - PCA frowns on hybrids - so your PCA venue options are limited

“A Porsche is defined as an automobile body and suspension which is, basically, as manufactured by or designated as a Porsche automobile by Porsche KG, Porsche AG or its successor, which is powered by an engine which is basically one which was installed in such bodies by the manufacturer of such automobiles, although not necessarily in the body concerned,” except that any Porsche engine may be installed in any Porsche-built automobile."

Is that the PCA definition? Because that would be really cool printed on some business cards…

2mAn
As far as a TDI goes it depends in which year. Technically it would never be California legal because you can't swap motors from different manufacturers and there was never a diesel Porsche made, so you're SOL with the 76. Sucks because it would be fun
Rotary'14
QUOTE(2mAn @ Dec 17 2013, 05:38 PM) *

As far as a TDI goes it depends in which year. Technically it would never be California legal because you can't swap motors from different manufacturers

I do think it's legal to have engines sourced from different mfg. Depending on which is newer,, engine or chassis determines the emission/evap equipment you would need, then you would need a referee to sign off on it. You can even do the diesel swap. It's a PITA,, but totally do-able.

-Robert
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(2mAn @ Dec 17 2013, 04:38 PM) *

As far as a TDI goes it depends in which year. Technically it would never be California legal because you can't swap motors from different manufacturers and there was never a diesel Porsche made, so you're SOL with the 76. Sucks because it would be fun

Yes it is legal to swap an engine from any manufacturer.

It must be the same year as the car OR newer.

It must have ALL smog equipment from the model year engine

A smog referee station must inspect the car for compliance.

The car is issued a sticker from the Bureau of Automotive Repair stating the new engine and smog requirements.

If the car is 1975 or earlier, you will be exempt from periodic testing.

Sticker looks like this...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
914_teener
One caviat Mike:

74 and 75 had smog equipment so they would need inspection for that equipment if it has the original motor....but exempt from the periodic emissions testing.

If its a 73.......none of it applies...no inspection when the title is transferred or periodic emission testing. Correct?

I had to do nothing when I bought my car.

THIS IS IN CA only.

jeffdon
Holy shit....BOTH my PORSCHE 914's have VW engines! I am in trouble
!
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(914_teener @ Dec 17 2013, 07:36 PM) *

One caviat Mike:

74 and 75 had smog equipment so they would need inspection for that equipment if it has the original motor....but exempt from the periodic emissions testing.

If its a 73.......none of it applies...no inspection when the title is transferred or periodic emission testing. Correct?

THIS IS IN CA only.

All motor swaps require an initial smog inspection. 75 and older are exempt from future inspections.
ruby914
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Dec 17 2013, 08:51 PM) *

QUOTE(914_teener @ Dec 17 2013, 07:36 PM) *

One caviat Mike:

THIS IS IN CA only.

All motor swaps require an initial smog inspection. 75 and older are exempt from future inspections.

maf914

My searching hasnt gotten me very far. Im sure most of you hate the idea, and thats fine. I am in the research phase and havent done anything yet, but I am close to purchasing the 914 and want to have a solid gameplan prior to purchasing the vehicle.

SO whos done it, I know of a 20v turbo here on the board, but havent seen any others.

Thanks
-Simon

Fasthonda had a great thread concerning his Honda engine transplant. Looks like it fit pretty well. He did some great work.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=97897&st=0
2mAn
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Dec 17 2013, 05:53 PM) *

Yes it is legal to swap an engine from any manufacturer.

[b]It must be the same year as the car OR newer.

Thats great news! I have done one swap before, but it was a VR6 into a 89 GTi and it wasnt too hard to get it to pass since it was OBD1. Always nice having one of those stickers. Im going to have to deal with the BAR again when my E30 is finally done. Its an OBD2 motor, but everything on it is OBD1 so Im going to tell them its a 93 325i instead of a 97 Z3. Should be fun playing the game...
r_towle
QUOTE(jeffdon @ Dec 17 2013, 10:51 PM) *

Holy shit....BOTH my PORSCHE 914's have VW engines! I am in trouble
!

confused24.gif
garrettlee1
I'm doing the a g60 with vw Fox transmission in my 914. But to the clutch questions I'm just using the Fox stuff it bolts right to vw four banger. ¿Does anyone know if 944 shift linkage will work with the Fox transmission?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(garrettlee1 @ Dec 21 2013, 10:20 AM) *

I'm doing the a g60 with vw Fox transmission in my 914. But to the clutch questions I'm just using the Fox stuff it bolts right to vw four banger. ¿Does anyone know if 944 shift linkage will work with the Fox transmission?

There aren't too many fox tranny conversions out there. But if I can use Boxster shifter stuff on a Passat transmission, I'm sure 944 stuff can be fitted to a fox tranny. They are very similar in design.
paroxysm
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Nov 26 2013, 10:29 AM) *

I'm still working on the car. Just this weekend i pulled the axle stubs off a passat, cost me only $10, here they are next to a 911 cv 100mm
IPB Image
IPB Image
also I built a rough cable shifter out of boxster shift cables and some old mk3 vw linkage
IPB Image
I grabbed the flywheel, clutch pressure plate, and stater off that passat, It cost me only $60. I've been waiting years for a passat or audi manual 1.8t to come into the pick a part, so I'll be putting it all together at last.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.