Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What size trailers are guys using for 914s?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CptTripps
I'm searching Craigslist to find a trailer for my 914, and I'm wondering what others are using. What's the smallest I can go comfortably? Is there a reason to go a lot larger?

Just looking for opinions.
bulitt
Trailer Thread

Ask TC to measure his, it's about the smallest.
CptTripps
Yeah, I saw that thread, but not a lot of people list the sizes and such.

Are a lot of these home-made? I've been finding all kinds of different sizes/shapes, and didn't know if there was a benefit to one over another.
bulitt
Depends on your tow vehicle which dictates GVW, price you want to pay, storage space, other intended use, and re-sale down the line.

Also, sometimes used isn't always the best deal. New tires cost @60$ each. States have different lighting requirements. And some old trailers were built with house trailer axles. Illegal in most states but some are grandfathered in and some home builts sneak them in.

Trailers with two or more axles or over 1500lbs usually need brakes.

If you buy used, check the titling requirements with your DMV first. You don't want to end up with a used trailer with no title only to find out it was stolen...
MMW
I would go with a 15' or 16' tandem axle. Why? Because once you have it you will be hauling all kinds of stuff. Maybe something similar to this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-NEW-15-FT-4-B...Motors_Trailers
brant
Tandem is much safer in case you get a flat
carr914
QUOTE(bulitt @ Dec 2 2013, 07:25 PM) *

Trailer Thread

Mine is almost too small
messix
get a full flat bed with beaver tail 16' min.

you wont regret a longer heaver duty trailer as much as you would if you went too short and light.

bolting on a "truck box" on the front to secure and mount a winch and all the tie down stuff will take up the first 2 feet.

look around at the local track and check out what people are using and what setups you like and ask questions about them.
r_towle
Tandem only.
First, you can balance the tongue weight to be almost nothing.
Second, it handles much better on the highway
Third, flat tire
Fourth, you can move it, with a car on it and no tow vehicle....so you can leave the car on the trailer if required.

Get a locking pin for the tow vehicle
Get a locking ball insert for the trailer, or just have an extra ball and padlock to lock the trailer from being stolen.

I do agree with above, once you get it, you will tow all sorts of other stuff, for friends, family, etc.
Bulldog9
I've got 4 project cars/motorcycles and toyed with the idea of getting my own trailer, but when I looked at how much they were (what I wanted) and realized I could rent from uhaul, and after 100 days of renting, I would break even. I rented 4 times this year, total cost of about $145.00 +/- If you have a uhaoul near you, and unless you are racing every weekend, your money may be better spend. Just a thought. Its a bit of a pain to have to get the trailer, but usually I can go online, and pick up the trailer the next day.
messix
consider a enclosed car hauler.

lock it in side and don't worry about getting it broke into when parked over night or while stopped for dinner somewhere.

just some thoughts before you drop the coin.
r_towle
QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Dec 2 2013, 08:58 PM) *

I've got 4 project cars/motorcycles and toyed with the idea of getting my own trailer, but when I looked at how much they were (what I wanted) and realized I could rent from uhaul, and after 100 days of renting, I would break even. I rented 4 times this year, total cost of about $145.00 +/- If you have a uhaoul near you, and unless you are racing every weekend, your money may be better spend. Just a thought. Its a bit of a pain to have to get the trailer, but usually I can go online, and pick up the trailer the next day.

Agh yes, I too used that logic for years, then I found a trailer with a car, flipped the car and ended up with nothing into the trailer. Not the prettiest beast, but now I have towed loads more than before.....gotten ll sorts of junk and crap, dead cars, friends cars, kids, more than a few times....

With a trailer comes great responsibility.
r_towle
Doubly clicky
Mark Henry
My trailer is the first one in the trailer thread
I built it, it has a 12' deck, 3500lb drop axle and 14" tires. The axle sets back from the centre it's made for VW's if you load it correctly the weight is centre on the axle with a tongue weight of say 50lbs.
I built it in 1990, it's the same tires and I've never once had a flat tire. The 1967 bus in the picture I bought in Manassas, Va and it came back to Canada on that trailer, in fact at least two times a year i would bring back a car from the US. Manassas in the summer (BugOut) and one from Florida in the winter.
The only real downside is it won't carry anything heavier than a VW westy, but seeing as I have never owned a full size pick-up, (VW busses and a smaller Toyota P/U) it's never been an issue. Having the wheels set back makes it track real good.
I can measure all the dimensions if you want them.

I should probably buy new tires for it some day.

IPB Image
mikelsr
I've got an 18' tandem to carry my 914. I got a larger trailer so I can use it to pull other cars/trucks/etc. I also went with an aluminum trailer because of the weight.

IPB Image
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 2 2013, 07:38 PM) *

QUOTE(bulitt @ Dec 2 2013, 07:25 PM) *

Trailer Thread

Mine is too small! sad.gif

Ummm, pretty sure they were talking about your TRAILER T.C. poke.gif

lol-2.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif
ellisor3
If you are not in a hurry, keep checking here. They have some great deals come up. Www.crankyape.com.
RickS
I would rather know What size trailers are gals using for 914s? Ladies?
Type 47
An enclosed trailer is nice but may be a little overkill for a 914. A nice open trailer with a dovetail back helps loading and unloading.

tandem axles is a must...trailer tires are not very good...tire pressure is critical to help keep them alive.

the good thing about the open trailer is the weight. My V nose 22' weighs about 3,500 lbs., about 7,500 with stuff and the Z06 in it. I get about 10 MPG when towing.

IPB Image
euro911
7 x 16 ft. box with 3 ft. v-nose. All the good things said above + it's a mobile garage/man cave and/or living quarters if need be. Can hauls a lot of cycles too smile.gif

Click to view attachment
GaroldShaffer
For 7 yrs I used this 16ft tandem axel steel deck dove tail to haul my car and the many parts cars I have picked up. It worked great, but was a little short me.

Click to view attachment

Finally this year I bought this 23 foot (deck is 20ft) tandem steel deck dove tail and I love it. I am able to haul many different size cars (and junk). I would recommend a tandem axle with brakes on both axels and get stake pockets. I like the ability to add sides (or a big box). A enclosed trailer would be nice, but for me at this time it doesn't fit my needs.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
CptTripps
This is one of those tools that I'm guessing I'll wonder how I survived without as soon as I have one. Like a good MIG welder.

I'm also thinking that once I have one, the number of cars I own will increase exponentially. Could be dangerous!

These are pretty close to me.

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/4218827390.html

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/grd/4206469237.html
brant
The first one looks like a steal
CptTripps
QUOTE(brant @ Dec 3 2013, 09:18 AM) *

The first one looks like a steal

...and I think $1,200 would take it.

I also found this on in Atlanta...which is where I would need it next week to bring a car home.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/4141069321.html
MMW
I would buy the first one for $1450 & check/repack the wheel bearings before your trip. New tires & wheels are $500 alone. The one in Atlanta has no brakes which in many states is illegal over 3000#. I don't like ones with sides as it limits side loading of heavy items.

If you don't like it after the trip then resell it to get your money back.
brant
trailer brakes are required in colorado too...

plus you honestly want them if you are ever towing with anything smallish...
the bigger the tow vehicle the better
we couldn't believe the improvement when we moved up from a 2500 chevy van to a 2500 dodge cummins

brakes are a safety item.. a good thing...
billh1963
I've been towing my whole driving career (started when I was 14 ...before I had a license.... towing boats) and I have driven tens of thousands of miles pulling trailers.

I can tell you the following:

1. Never skimp on tires...bad tires will wreck and/or kill you or someone else

2. Tandem is the only way to go. If you ever have a blowout on I-75 in downtown Atlanta at 1:00 am on a Sunday night you will appreciate the convenience and safety

3. Brakes are important...especially if you are towing with a lightweight tow vehicle. My tow vehicle is a 2006 Ford F-250 crew cab powerstroke. But, I still like trailer brakes. I prefer hydraulic surge brakes but electric is the next best choice.

4. Go aluminum if you can. The weight savings make a huge difference. Especially if you have a lightweight tow vehicle

5. Get long ramps. The longer the ramps the less clearance issues you have when loading and the easier it is to load non-runners.

6. Rent a U-Haul or Penske trailer if you can't afford to buy a decent trailer. The cost is reasonable (always get the insurance) and you can drop it off anywhere

7. Trailers require maintenance....tires, brakes, hubs, axles, lights, etc. all require regular maintenance. You can't simply buy it and forget it.

8. Be honest in your intended trailer use. Enclosed trailers are cool looking and nice for keeping things dry but are a pain in the ass to get around the car once it's loaded plus you need a lot of space to store it. Landscape trailers are great for hauling furniture and your riding mower but not as great hauling cars. Car trailers are awesome for hauling cars. But, unless they have a full deck, you can't easily haul much else.

9. Like everything in life, buy the best you can afford. If you can't buy a safe trailer, rent one!

Click to view attachment
GaroldShaffer
I would also recommend that if you get a tandem axle to also get on of these trailer aids and buy a socket that fits the trailer lug nuts and a big breaker bar.
Click to view attachment

Also spend the $$ and get a spare tire. I can't tell you how many times I have seen trailers also side the road with someone waiting with while their "buddy" went to buy a spare. slap.gif

I also bought a #3500 winch and I mounted to the front of the trailer. I added a plug to it so I can just plug into the trailer light plug on my hitch. .
URY914
Why not just buy a Mustang and flat tow it??? stirthepot.gif
brant
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Dec 3 2013, 02:45 PM) *

I've been towing my whole driving career (started when I was 14 ...before I had a license.... towing boats) and I have driven tens of thousands of miles pulling trailers.

I can tell you the following:

1. Never skimp on tires...bad tires will wreck and/or kill you or someone else

2. Tandem is the only way to go. If you ever have a blowout on I-75 in downtown Atlanta at 1:00 am on a Sunday night you will appreciate the convenience and safety

3. Brakes are important...especially if you are towing with a lightweight tow vehicle. My tow vehicle is a 2006 Ford F-250 crew cab powerstroke. But, I still like trailer brakes. I prefer hydraulic surge brakes but electric is the next best choice.

4. Go aluminum if you can. The weight savings make a huge difference. Especially if you have a lightweight tow vehicle

5. Get long ramps. The longer the ramps the less clearance issues you have when loading and the easier it is to load non-runners.

6. Rent a U-Haul or Penske trailer if you can't afford to buy a decent trailer. The cost is reasonable (always get the insurance) and you can drop it off anywhere

7. Trailers require maintenance....tires, brakes, hubs, axles, lights, etc. all require regular maintenance. You can't simply buy it and forget it.

8. Be honest in your intended trailer use. Enclosed trailers are cool looking and nice for keeping things dry but are a pain in the ass to get around the car once it's loaded plus you need a lot of space to store it. Landscape trailers are great for hauling furniture and your riding mower but not as great hauling cars. Car trailers are awesome for hauling cars. But, unless they have a full deck, you can't easily haul much else.

9. Like everything in life, buy the best you can afford. If you can't buy a safe trailer, rent one!

Click to view attachment

agree.gif
well said
CptTripps
So I'm all ready to transport my 914 to the sand-blaster, and I go to rent a trailer.

$225 for the weekend...and I'd need to do it again in a few weeks.

Started looking on Craigslist, and found this gem for $500:

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/4284917575.html

I'm going to leave it with the car, and have them sand-blast it too. I'll have another $200 into a new light kit for it and new tires. But then I'll own a beast of a trailer and be able to transport whatever, whenever.

smilie_pokal.gif
GaroldShaffer
That will work. I would recommend that you enclose the wheel wells on the back side. It will help keep all the road crap from flying up and hitting your car.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Dec 2 2013, 04:15 PM) *

I'm searching Craigslist to find a trailer for my 914, and I'm wondering what others are using. What's the smallest I can go comfortably? Is there a reason to go a lot larger?

Just looking for opinions.

Hmmmmm.....I'm going to guess that you are thinking of trailering to track events....think ahead to the possibility of the car not being able to drive up on it at some point.......that's the reason I went with an 18' tandem and mounted a good winch I found on craigslist. Works great, haven't needed the winch yet! w00t.gif
CptTripps
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Jan 30 2014, 11:09 AM) *

Hmmmmm.....I'm going to guess that you are thinking of trailering to track events....think ahead to the possibility of the car not being able to drive up on it at some point.......that's the reason I went with an 18' tandem and mounted a good winch I found on craigslist. Works great, haven't needed the winch yet! w00t.gif

Actually, I was more thinking about using it for:

To/From Sandblasting
To/From Body Shop
To/From Painter
To/From Mechanic

I'm not a track guy, and really don't ever plan on being one. I need another competitive sport like I need a hole in the head.

BUT...the winch is a great idea and I was planning on picking one up anyway. Not having to push a car on a rotisserie up the ramps is a big plus.
chads74
I would definitily go with a longer tandem axle trailer. I have a 14' single axle with side rails, that I use to haul my dirt bikes. To get the 914 to balance right I had to load the car backwards and I still wasn't happy with it, but it worked for a 200+ miles trip. Just had to keep the speeds below 60 or it would start to sway. I also used a come-a-long to get the car on the trailer cause the car wouldn't start at the time.

If I could, I would go with a longer trailer, dual axle, winch, and storage box on front. Just like others have mentioned, but for now I'll just have to make friends with someone with a better trailer then me.
CptTripps
Just picked it up. It's got everything I need...and a few added bonuses too!

18'
Tool-box up front.
Dual Axels.
Aluminum ramps.
1000lb electric winch.

I definitely need new tires. Going to stop by the tire place on the way home and fix that.

The PO hadn't ever been able to open the tool box, so I worked on that when I got it home. What'd I find inside? 4 Tire tie-downs and the controls for the winch!

After the snow melts a little, I'm going to weld up some of the places that it needs some attention. I may put a wood deck on too. Who knows. One thing is for sure. For $400...I think I did OK!
r_towle
winch is too light weight, harbor freight.

I would suggest new straps, cause the do break.

I would also suggest you fill in the middle with pressure treated plywood (bolted so you can replace it every 5 years, so stainless bolts) to keep all the things that fall off cars from hitting the road...

I agree that you would want to fill in the back side of those fenders or all the hard work on your car will get dinged up with debris.
Try to make one of them quickly removable, so you can get out of the car....
never put a tarp or cover on the car when towing in the breeze, it will scratch the car a ton in a short time.

These are all just BTDT suggestions.

Rich
GaroldShaffer
Not bad. Since you have welding skills I would recommend that you make at least the drivers side fender removable. Nothing like trying to roll up/down the drivers side window or trying to get out the car only to find the door doesn't clear the fender. BTDT dry.gif

Like you said GET NEW TIRES! and make sure you get quality trailer rated tires, they are different than regular car tires.

I think the winch is fine as long as it works. Oil it up and check to make sure the cable doesn't have any kinked or broken strands in it. My HF 8K winch worked great for 6yrs, sold it along with the old trailer.
CptTripps
Yeah...already ahead of you on the winch. Just got a 3,500lb off of Amazon. I forgot I had $200 in credit I hadn't used yet, so it was an easy grab.

I'll fill in the back after I hammer out that fender. I have a bunch of rubber liner that I can rivet into place from the inside. That'll keep it from flipping up until I can weld something permanent.

You're 100% right on the wood too. I may actually do that sooner than expected. The wheels on my rotisserie may not be the same width as the ramps, so I'll have to do something about that.

At any rate...it's home and I can play from there.
r_towle
i got something similar...just the two ramps.
I ended up just using 3/4 pressure treated plywood over the whole thing.
Better for
Motorcycles
Tractor
Mover
4 wheels
Junk cars
etc etc etc

Rich
f1rocks
You did well for $400! If you do sandblast it, which I did on my first open trailer, I put POR Black (the UV stabilized version) and was very happy with how well it turned out and how durable it was.

Trailers are a slippery slope. Bought a trailer, and a cheap tow vehicle (2500 Chevy Van, the original Shagvan) then decide I need a better tow vehicle....get a bigger trailer....then decide that having a bigger trailer sucks around town so go back and buy another open trailer smile.gif

The latest will haul the 914 and a Formula Ford so I'll let my friend do all the driving to the track now!!

Nothing beats staying at the track for the weekend too!Click to view attachment
euro911
Nice score beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.