Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: kennedy engineering is considering an LS motor to suby trans kit.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
Jim

We have not looked at a Subaru trans as of yet. (to type 4 engine)

We have had inquiry about Chevy LS to Subaru but never a type 4 engine...

Brett

KENNEDY ENGINEERED PRODUCTS

38822 17TH STREET EAST

PALMDALE CA. 93550

PH 661-272-1147

FAX 661-272-1575

BRETT BALTAU
r_towle
look up the subaru gears guys that convert the transmissions from 4wd to 2wd.
They should know all the specs, and I believe one of the guys lurks here from time to time.

rich
jimkelly
ok - suby trans is 26.25"

thus a suby trans behind a type4 engine in a 914 would require...

1- kennedy engineering products kit (about $500)
2- trans mount/s (about $100)
3- a custom muffler (about $500)
4- shift cable linkage
5- speedo solution
6- clutch solution for hydraulic clutch style suby trans
7- axles/cvs (Dutchman respline a set of 914 axles is $135)
8- one suby awd trans ($300)

just thinking out loud and guesstimating costs popcorn[1].gif

jim
jimkelly
seems like brett only would need a suby trans to get measurements, to move forward on producing a kit.

there may be no interest in such a thing, just trying to think outside the box like so many of you do smile.gif

"When someone wants to supply us with a Subaru trans so we can get the info we need to make kits for it. Brett"
jimkelly
suby trans info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Subar...ns#Five_Speed_2

it appears that up to 1995, only turbo cars has hydraulic clutches.

I think a cable actuated clutch style trans would help keep costs down.

so it appears that awd transaxles from non turbo subaru imprezas and legacys from 1992 and 1993 would be the target donor cars for transaxles?

PS: for those that have been wanting to by Ian's (COLDWATER) suby conversion parts - it seems he is back in action. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=191930
76-914
I think I have somewhat of a feel for this conversion. That being said, I would stay with a "good" 901 and convert it to cable shift for the T4. The T4 doesn't need a beefier trans. If your headed north of 300hp you might consider the Suby 6sp which is pretty stout.
jimkelly
I wasn't thinking about this for the BEEFY

I was thinking about this for smoother/quicker shifts.

here is a, cable shift on 901, thread...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...;hl=cable+shift
Chris H.
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Dec 3 2013, 09:30 AM) *

suby trans info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Subar...ns#Five_Speed_2

it appears that up to 1995, only turbo cars has hydraulic clutches.

I think a cable actuated clutch style trans would help keep costs down.

so it appears that awd transaxles from non turbo subaru imprezas and legacys from 1992 and 1993 would be the target donor cars for transaxles?

PS: for those that have been wanting to by Ian's (COLDWATER) suby conversion parts - it seems he is back in action. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=191930

There's a way to "back date" many of the subie transes to use a cable clutch if you want to. Ian and I discussed doing it on my 2006 WRX trans. I don't know the process but apparently it's very easy. Probably just find the mechanism from an older box. Maybe he will chime in. Having said that, it's also fairly easy to install a hydraulic clutch. I'm even gonna try it!
jimkelly
thanks for this info.

I did pm with ian a bit earlier today.

this is good to know for a variety of reasons.

i'd prefer cable to keep costs and difficulty down and availability up.

effutuo101
no engineer here, but a bell crank with a cable pull would seem to fit the bill.
converting the speedo to electronic and a hall sensor doesn't seem like much either. but, hey, with money everything is possible.
Chris H.
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Dec 3 2013, 02:37 PM) *

no engineer here, but a bell crank with a cable pull would seem to fit the bill.
converting the speedo to electronic and a hall sensor doesn't seem like much either. but, hey, with money everything is possible.

Don't want to turn this into a speedo thread but I have done a ton of research on that topic....lemme know if you need info Chris or jim....
Dr Evil
Just MHO, but why spend so much just to get this transmission to work? For much less than that you can get a kick ass 901 and be done with it. Seems like a ton of $$, but always glad to see innovation.

A suby behind a /6 makes some sense smile.gif
76-914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 3 2013, 09:00 PM) *

Just MHO, but why spend so much just to get this transmission to work? For much less than that you can get a kick ass 901 and be done with it. Seems like a ton of $$, but always glad to see innovation.

agree.gif That's what I'm saying. If you want smooth shifting just convert your "good" 901 to cable shift. Side shift or tail shift.
CptTripps
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 4 2013, 12:00 AM) *

That's where I was going to go with it too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.