Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield frame replacement?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mwood
This is a foolish question but I figure that it wont hurt to

The previous owner of my car, as well as welding a cage bar directly behind the drivers seat that limited how far back it can go by about 8 inches, decided to chop and angle back the windshield frame of my car 10 degrees. Apparently this was for attempted gains in aerodynamics.
I have access to a parts car with a good windshield frame and I want to be able to run a roof.

What is the easiest way to replace the whole windshield frame on a 914? If the piece that includes the frame and cowl and wiper motor can be removed thats easiest.. If i would have to chop it and jig it and weld on a new one Ill just wait on the whole thing..

Ideas?

Also, if anyone has a link to a diy on removing the sleeve on the wiring harness that goes through the firewall behind the cabin that would be helpful im trying to pull the whole harness.

Thank you
Mitch
rick 918-S
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Let's see it.
Mwood
My bad man Ill take some when I get home. Its pretty bad, bondo everywhere. Not worth working with the existing frame with my tools and skillset.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Mwood @ Dec 3 2013, 08:35 PM) *

Also, if anyone has a link to a diy on removing the sleeve on the wiring harness that goes through the firewall behind the cabin that would be helpful im trying to pull the whole harness.

Thank you
Mitch

You leave it on the wires and pull the entire thing through into the cabin. Once in the cabin, you can carefully slide the rubber sleeve off.

It's not easy.
McMark
You don't need to remove the rubber sleeve to remove the harness. Pull everything into the cabin. I think it's easy. tongue.gif

Yes you can replace the windshield hoop. The lower 8-10" has an internal rib. If it was cut in that lower section you'll have to remove the exterior to access and weld the internal structure, before replacing the section you cut out.
Mwood
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 3 2013, 09:51 PM) *

Yes you can replace the windshield hoop. The lower 8-10" has an internal rib. If it was cut in that lower section you'll have to remove the exterior to access and weld the internal structure, before replacing the section you cut out.

sounds like some work I should have hypothetically traded you a transmission for awhile back haha 'poligize

anyway here are a couple pics of the frame.
the last one is where I've got the harness at this point after an ER visit and 8 stitches and all that. look at the angle of the windshield in the zoomed out picture, it looks as if the rear window frame would stick out above it and channel air into the cabin.. what a mess.. nice to see that spidery intake manifold sitting in the bay though finally.
brant
Wow
Mwood
QUOTE(brant @ Dec 3 2013, 10:34 PM) *

Wow

yup the goal with this car has always been to get it running and eventually transfer parts to a better shell so Im probably just going to live with it. even the cage is molded to the lines of the angled windshield.
brant
How about making a snap on vinyl tonneau?

r_towle
pie cut it, bend it back up using the dimensions listed up at the top of the site under 914info.

Use a roof to help you line it up
make sure the windshield fits after you tack it in place so you dont need a custom windshield....then weld it home.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.