Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: working the tub
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
worn
The project is moving now that the floors and back inside and outer firewall are replaced. I am primarily posting to show how cheap I am.

Click to view attachment
We sawed the hatch and welded about a dozen 8 mm nuts around the engine bay edge, bought a nice slice from the car that gave it's life so that a Ghia can tear up the highway - thanks. The green primer was temporary, cleaned it up and covered the whole inside with DP-50 epoxy.
Click to view attachment
I got a Caswell plating kit. Zinc followed by a cad-like bath. These were completely covered with rust. Phosphoric acid followed by the plating.

So now the cheap. I wanted a fancy bushing for the shift rod. When the linkage is solid the shifts actually are pretty good with a 901 box.
So I bought an $8 pillow block.
Click to view attachment
Of course it was 3/4 inch so I had to pull out the ball bearing and put it on the lathe to open it up. Since I had the lathe going I also put the casting on and took about half of the iron off as well. Lighter, eh?
Here it is in the car -
Click to view attachment
And of course when the lower firewall rusts out there is collateral damage. In my case I bought some stainless tubing for the e-brake tubes. Need that pricey orange covered silver braze, but it was fun
Click to view attachment

So I am trying. Too cold and salty to drive the 2056. hissyfit.gif
rick 918-S
They sell linear bearing that not only spin radial but also roll in and out. I have a couple someplace. idea.gif I purchased them for the same location you placed yours but never got around to installing them.

Oh and good to braze those tubes like that. Avoids burning through and leaving lumps inside. Nice
jimkelly
are you doing anything fancy at shifter mechanism at trans?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=225881
worn
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Dec 4 2013, 05:55 PM) *

are you doing anything fancy at shifter mechanism at trans?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=225881

Not that fancy. I hope. Yet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.