Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone using a
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Randal

There is a Australian kit that converts them from 4 wheel to 2 wheel drive. I understand the shifting is super solid and fast, but would like to hear from anyone that has done one in a 914.
DBCooper
Yes, my car (and several others here), and all true.

Randal
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Dec 6 2013, 10:08 AM) *

So you can adapt an impreza transmission to a type iv?

76-914
No need to change trannies to get what you want. Just get a good 901 or have the Doc rebuild one for you then convert to cable shift. TAYQ, Renegade may start making the adp's if enough interest but I don't know why anyone would. The 901 will handle 99% of the type 4's.
DBCooper
QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 6 2013, 10:15 AM) *

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Dec 6 2013, 10:08 AM) *

So you can adapt an impreza transmission to a type iv?

No, mine's behind a Subaru engine. I had a 901 box there before, so a good A-B comparison, and the upgrade to the Subaru was three times better than night and day. But no, not behind a T4.

JRust
I would agree. I absolutely love my suby conversion with the suby trans. Shifts so smooth & easy. The cable shift setup so nice. I wouldn't go through the trouble of adapting one to a type 4 though confused24.gif .
jimkelly
randal

you can also get the awd to 2wd stuff from ian, cheaper.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=191930

a thread I recently started on this very topic.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=226268&hl=

be sure to consider all that might be involved.
I assume you are not running heat?
running headers?

contact KEP - Brett

KENNEDY ENGINEERED PRODUCTS
38822 17TH STREET EAST
PALMDALE CA. 93550
PH 661-272-1147
FAX 661-272-1575
BRETT BALTAU
Randal
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Dec 6 2013, 01:38 PM) *

randal

you can also get the awd to 2wd stuff from ian, cheaper.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=191930

a thread I recently started on this very topic.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=226268&hl=

be sure to consider all that might be involved.
I assume you are not running heat?
running headers?

contact KEP - Brett

KENNEDY ENGINEERED PRODUCTS
38822 17TH STREET EAST
PALMDALE CA. 93550
PH 661-272-1147
FAX 661-272-1575
BRETT BALTAU

Great information. Thanks Jim.

Heat (The only heat I have is provided by LL Bean!)
Headers, yes

If I build a turbo 4 I'm going to need another transmission. A well build 901 is good up to 250HP, but beyond that they are going to break. I'm looking for 300HP to the rear wheels, so will need a transmission. It's the same story with a turbo 6.

Of course the other issue is the LSD, or in my case a torque bias differential, which for my racing venues is a must.

As long as I have to do the transmission I'd sure like to find something that shifts faster and better. You can laugh, but the first to second shift and the third to fourth shifts are slow. Doesn't seem like such a big deal, but make four/five shifts on a 50 second course and it costs you time.

Looked at the sequential boxes, but they are big time expensive. Nice way to go however.
jeff
How about one behind a 3.2-6 ? I'm getting close on my engine rebuild and I'm thinking 901 with limited slip? 915? Are the Subaru transmissions limited slip?
strawman
I have an OBX torque-biasing LSD in my Suby trans. I have only driven my turbo Suby-engined 914 in my cul-de-sac a few times, so I cannot give firsthand experience with its long-term pluses/minuses... but the OBX unit gets good reviews on NASIOC. They're available on eBay for ~$450 shipped.
McMark
The same adapter plate that will allow a Subaru motor to mount to a 901 will work 'backwards' to allow a Subaru trans to mate to a T4. The troublesome bit will be the clutch/flywheel. Normally you buy a special flywheel with an extended mounting flange to account for the thickness of the adapter plate. You would need a Subaru flywheel with a T4 mounting flange. I doubt this piece exists. One possibility to pursue would be an adapter 'puck' that would mount to the T4 crank and have holes for the Subaru flywheel pattern. Of course that's one more piece to break.

In short:
Mounting - Easy
Axles - Easy
Flywheel - Hard
Shifting - Not Easy
Clutch - Not Too Hard
CptTripps
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 9 2013, 05:13 PM) *

In short:
Mounting - Easy
Axles - Easy
Flywheel - Hard
Shifting - Not Easy
Clutch - Not Too Hard

That's pretty-much the perfect synopsis.
Randal
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 9 2013, 02:13 PM) *

The same adapter plate that will allow a Subaru motor to mount to a 901 will work 'backwards' to allow a Subaru trans to mate to a T4. The troublesome bit will be the clutch/flywheel. Normally you buy a special flywheel with an extended mounting flange to account for the thickness of the adapter plate. You would need a Subaru flywheel with a T4 mounting flange. I doubt this piece exists. One possibility to pursue would be an adapter 'puck' that would mount to the T4 crank and have holes for the Subaru flywheel pattern. Of course that's one more piece to break.

In short:
Mounting - Easy
Axles - Easy
Flywheel - Hard
Shifting - Not Easy
Clutch - Not Too Hard

So a flywheel would have to be machined?

When you say shifting would be difficult, do you mean it'd just take a bunch of time to sort out a cable shifter, correct?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.