Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where can I get tires now?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jonas
This may sound stupid, but I can't find any good tires anymore for my 15x7/15x8 (I think that is correct width) 5-lug wheels. I've checked all the tire shops around.
Unless I want to get cheap all-weather tires, I don't know what to get.
My last set were Dunlop SP8000's.

Any recommendations?
Andyrew
discounttiredirect.com
or Tirerack.com

I typically go through both and price compare similar tire.
r_towle
Please update this thread.....
I wanted to stick with 15 inch wheels for my flared car, but if I cannot get a decent tire, there is no point.
AfricanHijinx
americas tire has contis, I like them
Spoke
Tirerack and Discount tire usually have local installers and will drop ship the tires to that installer. Check their websites for installers close to you.

Discount Tire 225/50/15 for $79
ruby914
I had the same problem with my 16x7/16x8. Mostly the 8s.
Biggest problem was finding something in a low profile tire for the rear.
I ended up getting an old, unused set.
Don't know what I will do next time confused24.gif
Good luck.
SirAndy
All the bigger brands still have tires in 225/50x15:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchRe...amp;diameter=15

That's what i'm running for street tires ...
shades.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 9 2013, 08:02 PM) *

All the bigger brands still have tires in 225/50x15:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchRe...amp;diameter=15

That's what i'm running for street tires ...
shades.gif

Rim widths?
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 9 2013, 05:04 PM) *
Rim widths?

7 or 8 just as asked by the OP. The 225 will fit on both.
idea.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 9 2013, 08:07 PM) *

Rim widths?

idea.gif

Sorry, what rims are you running?
I recall you were running wider rims?
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 9 2013, 05:14 PM) *
Rim widths?

idea.gif

For the street, i run 7x15 cookie cutters with 225/50 tires.

Again, those tires fit both 7" and 8" rims and there is still a healthy choice of tires for that size. If i had to buy new ones right now, i would go with a set of Toyo R888 ...
shades.gif
Woody
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 9 2013, 07:17 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 9 2013, 05:14 PM) *
Rim widths?

idea.gif

For the street, i run 7x15 cookie cutters with 225/50 tires.

Again, those tires fit both 7" and 8" rims and there is still a healthy choice of tires for that size. If i had to buy new ones right now, i would go with a set of Toyo R888 ...
shades.gif

My street/track wheels are 888s on 15x7 and 15x8 Fuchs. 205/225. Great combo but may be a little more than needed for street use.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Woody @ Dec 9 2013, 05:28 PM) *
Great combo but may be a little more than needed for street use.

That's why i didn't recommend them to the OP, but Rich asked specifically.
For my car, those would be the ones i would buy right now if i needed new tires. My car. Not yours. Mine.
rolleyes.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 9 2013, 08:41 PM) *

QUOTE(Woody @ Dec 9 2013, 05:28 PM) *
Great combo but may be a little more than needed for street use.

That's why i didn't recommend them to the OP, but Rich asked specifically.
For my car, those would be the ones i would buy right now if i needed new tires. My car. Not yours. Mine.
rolleyes.gif

thank you, it was the answer to the question I asked.

I am considering having someone make a set of 4 bolt fuch wheels into 8 and 9 inch widths.
Seems to be a similar cost for the wheel, when you include all the other 5 bolt parts...

Never seen wide 4 bolt fuch wheels before...

Rich
jim_hoyland
Hi Jonus,

Try Grand Prix on Newport Blvd between 17th and 18th; ask for Berge, he's really helpful and can fix you up. Gonna put on some new shoes for the Christmas parade ?
Spoke
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 9 2013, 06:55 PM) *

Please update this thread.....
I wanted to stick with 15 inch wheels for my flared car, but if I cannot get a decent tire, there is no point.

I think this is a valid comment. It seems the 15in selection is dwindling. Not that you can't get them but there is less and less demand for them and less and less availability.

Consider the 225/50/15 that Sir Andy and I provided links. At Discount Tire there were only 3 hits. In Sir Andy's link the 3 lowest priced street tires were closeouts. The rest (except $281 Pirellis) are autocross/racing tires.

If you were to look for 225/50/16 tires for a 7/8 by 16 rim, Discount Tire's selection goes from 3 to 40. At Tirerack, the selection goes from 13 (3 closeouts, one $281 street, rest racing) to 69.

You can still get the 15 inch tires but their days are numbered. That's one reason I went with 6x16 and 7x16 on my 914.

beerchug.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 9 2013, 10:02 PM) *

I am considering having someone make a set of 4 bolt fuch wheels into 8 and 9 inch widths.
Seems to be a similar cost for the wheel, when you include all the other 5 bolt parts...

Never seen wide 4 bolt fuch wheels before...

Rich

I talked to harvey weidman about getting a set made in 7&8's. I never did follow through after he gave me an estimate. It was a fair price for his outstanding work but more than I felt comfortable spending on a set of wheels. And then I would be limited to small brakes on the front.
Jonas
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Dec 9 2013, 07:17 PM) *

Hi Jonus,

Try Grand Prix on Newport Blvd between 17th and 18th; ask for Berge, he's really helpful and can fix you up. Gonna put on some new shoes for the Christmas parade ?

Hey Jim!
Not for the Christmas Parade, but soon anyway! I haven't had any extra money to spend on my car for awhile, so it's pretty much been sitting. Just put in a new battery, still runs great, but it needs some clean up pretty bad. Starting to get some rust around the edges. Just not sure about how to find the time do do everything.

But i digress, the tire sizes I bought last time were 205/55-15 & 225/50-15 in Dunlop SP8000. I've just been looking around and can't find anything in that size in a matching set. No luck at Tire Rack, or Goodyear, Americas Tire, or others. I was just curious what the guys with flares are putting on their 15 inch rims these days?

I have definitely noticed that 10 years ago, I could find all kinds of 15" performance tires for that size range. Now, nothing! It's all 16, and mostly 17" in anything that isn't a 500 treadwear mud & snow tire.
Jonas
What about these? Sizes are close:
Dunlop Direzza DZ101, 195/55&205/55
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...2&tab=Sizes
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...romCompare1=yes
Spoke
The 195/55/15 should work ok on the 7x15 wheels but not the 8x15.

The 195 is only 7.7 inches wide (195mm/25.4mm-per-inch).

The 205 is 8.07 inches wide.
flipb
hijacked.gif

So let's just say that I want to replace my 185/70 tires with the same size. Tirerack's got nothing. A couple places have Vredensteins -- anybody vouch for these? Any other place to look for something in 185/70?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.