Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 2.0 Master Cylinder Choice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LevisJeanz
I have a 1975 914 2.0 that I converted to carbs. The brake master cylinder dumps about 1-2 tablespoons of fluid when the brake pedal is pressed. I obviously need a new MC. I want to upgrade to the 19 mm MC and there are two options. I could spend $260+ and buy the porche OEM equivalent by ATE or spend $60 - $90 on a cheaper variant from URO. I don't know if I want to skimp out on the braking system because it could save my life and all.

What are your recommendations? Has anyone been using the URO equivalent?

Thanks,

-Levi-
GeorgeRud
It seems the URO ones may have issues with quality control. As the master cylinder should last you for years, I'd spend the extra and get the ATE one.
smveril
I put an OEM master cylinder in my 73 over 20 years ago and it still works fine so I would vote for the best quality part.
JFJ914
ATE !
flipb
The PO of my 914 put in a 19mm MC... I don't know the manufacturer, but it failed within 3 years (at which point I owned the car).
76-914
This is "the" area where you spend "TOP" dollar, not bottom dollar.
billh1963
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 16 2013, 03:21 PM) *

This is "the" area where you spend "TOP" dollar, not bottom dollar.

agree.gif

Never skimp on tires or brakes
dlee6204
I've used the URO MC for years without issue. I don't think I've ever heard of a failure first-hand, just rumors.
JamesM
Say you were being forced to jump out of an airplane but you have your choice of parachutes.

#1 is used by say, some special forces team

#2 is made in china using questionable methods and unknown materials.

Sure they both might do the job but...

its your life, you pick
boxsterfan
What are the different part#'s between the URO and ATE makers of the 19mm Master Cylinder?
gothspeed
Spending more money doesn't automatically get you the best of anything. I have seen plenty of expensive parts fail, no part is immune from that. Even 'name brand' components or sub-components (seals etc.), are being made in third world countries these days. Do your homework and inspect the parts before you put them on, no matter how much you paid for it.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Dec 16 2013, 07:28 PM) *

I've used the URO MC for years without issue. I don't think I've ever heard of a failure first-hand, just rumors.

I bought one. It failed in the first few months, before the car ever even got road time (lucky).

Replaced it with an ATE.

The Uro ended up being a really REALLY expensive MC....

Now they are not just rumors for you.

Zach
gothspeed
I've had an ATE MC fail within a few months ..... there was a defect in the casting that began leaking after seeing pressure ........ headbang.gif
76-914
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Dec 16 2013, 07:29 PM) *

Spending more money doesn't automatically get you the best of anything. I have seen plenty of expensive parts fail, no part is immune from that. Even 'name brand' components or sub-components (seals etc.), are being made in third world countries these days. Do your homework and inspect the parts before you put them on, no matter how much you paid for it.

Nope, but $5 will get you $10, that's where the "smart" money goes when shopping brakes. I take short cuts on this Frankenstein that I'm building that I would never take when building an airplane. Do you see the common thread here? Our butt's. lol-2.gif
gothspeed
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 17 2013, 04:28 PM) *

Nope, but $5 will get you $10, that's where the "smart" money goes when shopping brakes. I take short cuts on this Frankenstein that I'm building that I would never take when building an airplane. Do you see the common thread here? Our butt's.

lol-2.gif ........................ yellowsleep[1].gif
LevisJeanz
Thanks for the advice guys I just picked up the ATE 19mm MC from my local shop ~$285 after taxes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.