Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: surface rust paint inhibitor question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rosenfe
ive done search for a product recommended in previous threads to spray on as a surface rust inhibitor.cant find it,?anyone know what it is,or their favorites?
malcolm2
QUOTE(rosenfe @ Dec 18 2013, 10:15 AM) *

ive done search for a product recommended in previous threads to spray on as a surface rust inhibitor.cant find it,?anyone know what it is,or their favorites?

Might not be your application, but I use POR-15. 3 step process of cleaning, etching and painting. You can thin it and spray it if you want.

Clark
wndsnd
Not so much a spray on but you could put it in a spray bottle.

I like a product called Rust Mort by SEM

Wire brush as clean as you can, wipe down and apply.

After it is dry you can etch prime or POR15

It kind of turns the rust to like a galvanized metal and I have never had a problem with primer adhering to it
malcolm2
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Dec 18 2013, 10:25 AM) *

QUOTE(rosenfe @ Dec 18 2013, 10:15 AM) *

Might not be your application, but I use POR-15. 3 step process of cleaning, etching and painting. You can thin it and spray it if you want.

Clark

My hell hole, after my ugly welding

Click to view attachment

And after the POR-15 process. It won't hurt it, but the sun will change the color. They recommend a light sanding and any top coat.

Click to view attachment
carr914
Eastwood makes one
rhodyguy
exisitng surface rust? a product named Mar-hyde is excellent. a convertor similar to ospho(sp?).
wndsnd
I used the POR15 on pans and trunks after the rust was neutralized and primed. It produces a very hard finish. Oh and I used it behind the bumpers on front and back of car.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
ellisor3
QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 18 2013, 08:38 PM) *

Eastwood makes one

I used the Eastwood product, and it is very easy to use and works very well. Not cheap though.
wndsnd

Here are a couple of more shots of how I used POR15

First after application:

Click to view attachment

Now After Sealer

Click to view attachment
ThePaintedMan
After using POR 15 on several projects, I think I'd switch to Eastwood as well in the future. I used POR on a beetle in college on clean metal and had no problems. Tried it with my car this time around again, on clean metal (scuffed it and even did the rest of the prep instructions including marine clean and "prep and ready") and all I got were fisheyes everywhere. I think they must have changed the formula, but I was not impressed.

Eastwood's product is apparently much easier to use, so that's what I would go with next time around.
rosenfe
it was the eastwood product i was looking for,thanks.anyone familiar with miracle pain from mercedessource?wonder if its por15 in disguise.?
LotusJoe
I have used corroseal in many applications with good results. Easy to apply and easy cleanup.
Click to view attachment
I have even used to to coat ballast tanks on some of my tugboats and it has held up under some very harsh conditions.
rosenfe
QUOTE(LotusJoe @ Dec 19 2013, 09:41 AM) *

I have used corroseal in many applications with good results. Easy to apply and easy cleanup.
Click to view attachment
I have even used to to coat ballast tanks on some of my tugboats and it has held up under some very harsh conditions.

you have tugboats?as in more than one?wow,any pics?
r_towle
phosphoric acid is the main ingredient that I found for most of the rust converting products.
I bought a gallon of that at Home depot for far less than all the magic juice sold by the pint.
It works find, just clean it with water afterwards, dry it out and paint.

rich
LotusJoe
QUOTE(rosenfe @ Dec 19 2013, 10:36 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Had a company here on the west coast with 9 tugs and barges transporting petroleum products from San Diego to Dutch Harbor. Sold the fleet in 2005.

Click to view attachment
This the tug Mister Fred; typical of our tugs. 4,000 hp.
rosenfe
QUOTE(LotusJoe @ Dec 19 2013, 02:09 PM) *

QUOTE(rosenfe @ Dec 19 2013, 10:36 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Had a company here on the west coast with 9 tugs and barges transporting petroleum products from San Diego to Dutch Harbor. Sold the fleet in 2005.

Click to view attachment
This the tug Mister Fred; typical of our tugs. 4,000 hp.

impressive,thanks for the pic
Bulldog9
I've used POR 15, and Eastwoods system, both work, but the best I've used is called miracle paint from a site called mercedessource . https://mercedessource.com/store/do-it-your...ng-kent-bergsma

This is definitely NOT POR 15 in disguise, if you get it on your hands and it dries, you are cutting it off or waiting for the skin to die and it falls off. POR 15 you can peel off scrape off acetone off. Not this stuff...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.