Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best jack/lift for engine removal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
I know you can use a furniture dolly to remove the engine (I've used that method twice). However, I would prefer to have something a little better for the next time.

Last thread I could find was 2010 so figured was time to ask if anything new was available.

Harbor Freight (as well as Northern Tool and other vendors) has several different jacks that may work. Since I prefer to lift the car up in the air and lower the engine with a jack, one of these may work. Does anyone have experience with these?

Motorcycle lift:

1500 lb motorcycle lift

Lightweight Motorcycle lift:

Lightweight lift

Hydraulic Table:

Hydraulic Table

Transmission Jack:

Transmission Jack

Low Profile Transmission Jack:

Low Profile Transmission Jack

I'm leaning towards the table but wanted to know what others have experienced.
ww914
I have used the motorcycle lift. Works pretty good as it gets almost low enough to slide the engine out from underneath the car. I had to jack up the car a little to get the engine out. The table looks a little high and would have the same problem.

Click to view attachment
vintage914racer
I use a lift table like the one you linked to. It is quite sturdy but you really have to jack the car up to a ridiculous height to clear the halfshafts and carbs, at least on a six. I've done it this way half a dozen times but I'll probably use a motorcycle jack next time around.
vintage914racer
I use a lift table like the one you linked to. It is quite sturdy but you really have to jack the car up to a ridiculous height to clear the halfshafts and carbs, at least on a six. I've done it this way half a dozen times but I'll probably use a motorcycle jack next time around.
billh1963
I plan to get something this weekend so I'm reaching out for a consensus.

If I had a lift I think the table would be a certain winner. Since I don't, the car will go up on jack stands...so height is an issue
913B
+1 on the lift table, it was very stable with the engine and trans, but I don't have any experiences on the motorcycle lifts, they might do the job just fine too.

That 1000lb lift table is very HEAVY, I borrowed that from a friend, but I would buy the 500# one from HF when it goes on sale.
GaroldShaffer
Bill I used a transmission jack from HF. Works great, only need to remove air box to have enough room to slide engine out from under car. I would also suggest adding a piece of wood to the plate of the jack and cut a notch out of it for where the clutch cable wheel is on the trans.
bulitt
Time to get a lift Bill with all those cars you have...

Lift

Just sayin.
J P Stein
I dropped/installed the motor at least once a year.......it's worth taking the time to make a set up. ......
Click to view attachment
cgnj
I use Tangerine racing's adapter. Works good easy to store

Tangerine Racing
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(cgnj @ Dec 20 2013, 09:03 AM) *

Tangerine Racing

I have one on the shelf. Ships USPS Priority. smile.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Dec 20 2013, 09:09 AM) *

Tangerine Racing

Needs to be a BIG Christmas discount! smile.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(bulitt @ Dec 20 2013, 07:14 AM) *

Time to get a lift Bill with all those cars you have...

Lift

Just sayin.

I fully agree. I'm buying a farm in NC next spring...a LARGE shop (at least 40x60 or bigger) will be in the equation.

With my number of cars at around 10 (and probably growing next year) I need a real shop with a couple of lifts and plenty of room
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Dec 20 2013, 09:25 AM) *

same low price every day.
If you want discounts buy chinese.
poke.gif
mikesmith
I'm planning on using the threaded-rod method when I drop the SBC for the first time next year, so no jack required (I hope).

Not sure how far up I will have to lift the body though... going to be worse than for the boxer engines I'm sure...
billh1963
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Dec 20 2013, 11:11 AM) *

poke.gif

Yours is probably made from Chinese steel... biggrin.gif poke.gif
jimkelly
furniture dolly is totally fine.

the challenge is getting the car up high enough, safely.

boxsterfan
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Dec 20 2013, 06:09 AM) *

Tangerine Racing

Does that actually attach to the floor jack or just rest upon it?
rhodyguy
for carbs, remove them from the intakes leaving the linkage/package as is. for fi remove the air filter assem. furniture dolly, wheels off, a floor jack under each control arm as high as they will go, a little dunnage to approximate the angle of the car when it's in the down position, slightly loosen all fasteners, disconnect wiring/hoses, lower onto dolly, remove fasteners, raise back up to full height, roll engine out from behind. you never have to put yourself in harms way or worry about the engine crashing to the ground. you have COMPLETE control of the procedure.
iamchappy
Lift table doubles as a work area for your engine also.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Dec 20 2013, 11:27 AM) *

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Dec 20 2013, 11:11 AM) *

poke.gif

Yours is probably made from Chinese steel... biggrin.gif poke.gif

The only chinese here is my lunch. chowtime.gif
andys
That low profile transmission jack looks good to me. The adjustable tilt feature is something you'll use; it's a nice feature. Also, the wide stance helps with stability.

I made one specific to my engine/trans combo, but it was a lot of work. Used the heck out of it.

Andys
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Dec 20 2013, 11:51 AM) *

A large diameter pin on the underside of the lift plate drops into a hole found in most older full size jacks. If yours doesn'thave that feature, its simple to bolt a block of wood with a center hole onto the jack.

I modified the Sears jack shown by removing a long bolt that secured the jack top plate, and replaced it with two short bolts to keep the arms attached to the top plate. The center hole was just the right diameter.

Click to view attachment
r_towle
Does anyone know the outside width of an engine without the engine mounting bar?
I keep seeing a car show called wheeler dealers and he rolls a table under the car and lowers it from the lift.

I have a 4 post drive on lift and I am hoping I might be able to do his, once I remove the engine bar.....just lower the motor to the table and lift the car off.

rich
rhodyguy
i walked out and measured. 37 1/2" across the front of the engine tin.
mikesmith
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Dec 20 2013, 08:39 AM) *

Jim, thanks - that's a fairly terrifying picture given that I'm doing this inside, between another car and our two-wheelers.

How much of that height is actually required? It looks like you still have the carb / distributor on the block - would removing them have helped clearance much?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(mikesmith @ Dec 20 2013, 04:51 PM) *

QUOTE(jimkelly @ Dec 20 2013, 08:39 AM) *

Jim, thanks - that's a fairly terrifying picture given that I'm doing this inside, between another car and our two-wheelers.

How much of that height is actually required? It looks like you still have the carb / distributor on the block - would removing them have helped clearance much?

My car is lowered. I lift it slightly, slide furniture dollys under the bar. Lower the car on the dollys, support the tranny with a jack and unbolt everything. I then lift the car up with my cherry picker and slide the motor out. I hook the cherry picker on my cage inside the trunk. This method won't work on a stock car.
euro911
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Dec 20 2013, 10:42 AM) *
Lift table doubles as a work area for your engine also.

Click to view attachment
agree.gif

I've done the furniture dolly method, standard floor jacks, M/C jacks and hydraulic tables. I've currently got pretty much the same set up as Chappy and it's by far the best for a one man operation as far as I'm concerned shades.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(andys @ Dec 20 2013, 12:52 PM) *

That low profile transmission jack looks good to me. The adjustable tilt feature is something you'll use; it's a nice feature. Also, the wide stance helps with stability.

I made one specific to my engine/trans combo, but it was a lot of work. Used the heck out of it.

Andys

That is a sweet looking rig
jimkelly
I think removing dist and carb would require 4" or so less lift.

be careful to unbolt trans first when uninstalling and bolt trans last when installing, to keep pressure off the trans ears, as they are know to break.

I think getting the front up a few inches would result in car being at less a precarious slant.

rhodyguy
especially on a sloped driveway! carbs and linkage off in one piece my way. no need to pull the distributor.
J P Stein
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Dec 20 2013, 04:52 AM) *

I dropped/installed the motor at least once a year.......it's worth taking the time to make a set up. ......
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
With that set up I could drop or install the motor in a couple hours *working alone*. That is starting out with the car setting on the tires. When you're working alone, stability is paramount & a good idea with help. biggrin.gif I did have a few years of practice. biggrin.gif Chinese ATV lifts are cheep now days.
brp986s
Save your back, your money, and your time by just going whole-hog now. Get a lift and a table. Use the table to lift your engine up to a workbench mounted vice/yolk. I did the furniture dolly/various floor jack/chunks o'wood thing for years, but just have no tolerance for that nonsense anymore.

I got a Mcmaster table. $1k - needed to look the other way when committing-to-buy, but is 1/3 larger than the comparable HF unit, and was delivered to my house. From reading, the HF unit will instantly snap off the handle, has hair-trigger hydraulic, and is disposable in the event of hydraulic problems due to unavailable parts and low quality.
mikesmith
Getting a lift involves about a US$1M investment (buy a house) and whilst I'm looking, it's not an immediate option. Hence being interested in the alternatives. 8)

Rhody - Jim is talking about the SBC, where the distributor sticks up a very long way...
r_towle
QUOTE(mikesmith @ Dec 21 2013, 05:15 PM) *

Getting a lift involves about a US$1M investment (buy a house) and whilst I'm looking, it's not an immediate option. Hence being interested in the alternatives. 8)

Rhody - Jim is talking about the SBC, where the distributor sticks up a very long way...

Two solid floor jacks, high lift, and a dolly.
I can still get it out in under and hour, and there is very little drama...

Though the part that is starting to suck is the up down up down to get all the tools I forgot to grab the first five times, and the concrete floor.
billh1963
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 21 2013, 05:27 PM) *

Though the part that is starting to suck is the up down up down to get all the tools I forgot to grab the first five times, and the concrete floor.

Amen! Pulled my passenger seat in the BMW to fix the power seat cables. I think I spent more time going back and forth for tools than doing the actual work. That will wear you out!
billh1963
QUOTE(brp986s @ Dec 21 2013, 03:34 PM) *

Save your back, your money, and your time by just going whole-hog now. Get a lift and a table. Use the table to lift your engine up to a workbench mounted vice/yolk.

The new garage (and two lifts) is coming in the spring. For now I have to use what I have. I like the idea of the table....the reviews on the HF table are bad. Northern Tools has one that has better ratings.
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Dec 20 2013, 09:56 AM) *

QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Dec 20 2013, 11:51 AM) *

A large diameter pin on the underside of the lift plate drops into a hole found in most older full size jacks. If yours doesn'thave that feature, its simple to bolt a block of wood with a center hole onto the jack.

I modified the Sears jack shown by removing a long bolt that secured the jack top plate, and replaced it with two short bolts to keep the arms attached to the top plate. The center hole was just the right diameter.

Click to view attachment

Chris,
Who sells these type 4 engine cradle depicted in your picture?
Thanks.
euro911
He does ... click here
QUOTE(euro911 @ Dec 21 2013, 04:31 PM) *

He does ... click here

Thanks! It's going to be an after Xmas item to secure.
Enjoy Ymir holidays drunk.gif
John
I'm biased. I think my lift/jack is the best.

Since getting the car high enough is no issue ....

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

It is home-made based on the pictures from the 911 workshop manuals. I made it about 15 years ago.
rhodyguy
by hf table do you mean a scissor style lift? they're prone to failure? i had no idea mcmaster 'tables'. scissor yes?
euro911
Kevin, the ones I have are yellow, but this is similar to what I have (500 # capacity)

These ones are nicer because it looks like you don't have to unbolt the handle - it folds down smile.gif

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.