Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Running fuel and brake lines under the car...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
falcor75
I'm in the middle of restoring my shell and I dont think I want to run the fuel and brake lines down the center tunnel again but instead run them under the car.

Anyone else done it and if so what kind of mountings did you use?
mepstein
I wouldn't. One higher than average speed bump would wreck everything. Stock location is the way to go. Chris Foley at tangerine racing makes ss fuel lines that fit perfectly and eric shea at pmb performance does the same for the brake lines.

welcome.png
reharvey
[quote name='mepstein' date='Dec 26 2013, 09:19 AM' post='1975034']
I wouldn't. One higher than average speed bump would wreck everything. Stock location is the way to go. Chris Foley at tangerine racing makes ss fuel lines that fit perfectly and eric shea at pmb performance does the same for the brake lines.

welcome.png
[/quote agree.gif
TheCabinetmaker
esposed fuel lines under the car? Can you say death trap?
rick 918-S
Please don't do that. American cars that run fuel and brake lines under the car attach them to the side of a stout frame rail or can locate them up high enough in a section of the unit body that they can be crushed or damaged.
rhodyguy
very bad ideas. you'll spend 'more time' cobbling the lines in than doing it the right way.
falcor75
I know that Chris at Tangerine makes nice stuff as I have his rear suspension kit going onto the car. Shipping fuel lines across the atlantic feels like a bad idea tho, shipping costs would be huge due to the length of the package.

I'll think on your comments tho I've never scraped the underside of any car on a speedbump....
JawjaPorsche
To me the cost of doing the job right would out weigh the cost of doing it wrong.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Dec 26 2013, 08:41 AM) *

I'll think on your comments tho I've never scraped the underside of any car on a speedbump....

Famous last words...

What will you do when the car is dragging a fire ball and you can't stop??? confused24.gif

I guess you can try to drive faster so the fire can't catch you... evilgrin.gif
r_towle
Buy some bulk stainless steel brake lines and make your own lines, but run them THROUGH the tunnel so your restoration is done properly and you won't regret doing it the right way the first time.
gothspeed
I bought some bulk SS fuel line from Jegs, formed them and ran them through the tunnel. While I did save a little money .... looking back at the amount of work it was to measure, bend, cut and flare the line ..... if I were to do this again .... I would get the pre-formed lines from tangerine ..... I think they are a good value ... smile.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Dec 26 2013, 06:51 PM) *

I bought some bulk SS fuel line from Jegs, formed them and ran them through the tunnel. While I did save a little money .... looking back at the amount of work it was to measure, bend, cut and flare the line ..... if I were to do this again .... I would get the pre-formed lines from tangerine ..... I think they are a good value ... smile.gif

agree.gif Took me 5 minutes to run through the tunnel with my son helping me as a spotter.
worn
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Dec 26 2013, 03:51 PM) *

I bought he bulk tubing as well. Very inexpensive and compatble with an anodized bling. Didnt takeany work at all to thread through the tunnel. Brakes would be easier.
carr914
OP, this is the Worst Idea I have ever heard - Don't do it.

Do it right, your family will Thank you without even knowing it, just by still having you around
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Dec 26 2013, 11:41 AM) *

Shipping fuel lines across the atlantic feels like a bad idea tho, shipping costs would be huge due to the length of the package.

Actually its not as bad as you might think.
Typical length limitation to European countries is 60 inches, and my package is only 58" long.
There would be a substantial savings if one other person you know also bought a set at the same time.

Earlier this year I shipped 4 sets, one with hoses, etc. to The Netherlands.
Total shipping/handling cost was $80.
I'm guessing one or two sets of stainless lines only would cost around $60.
gothspeed
QUOTE(worn @ Dec 26 2013, 08:19 PM) *

I bought he bulk tubing as well. Very inexpensive and compatble with an anodized bling. Didnt takeany work at all to thread through the tunnel. Brakes would be easier.
Threading them through the tunnel was the easy part ....... getting them shaped 'just right' and creating a proper bead like the tangerine lines, was time consuming. Probably because I fabricated the bead tool from scratch ..... smile.gif

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 26 2013, 08:03 PM) *

agree.gif Took me 5 minutes to run through the tunnel with my son helping me as a spotter.
I think it took me about 5 minutes to thread them through the tunnel as well ...... all by myself ..... wink.gif

I still think the preformed and beaded lines from Chris are a good value ... beerchug.gif
wndsnd
The beaded line kit from Tangerine is a fantastic product. I fed them through the tunnel by myself and they probably took 5 minutes tops. They were not much money for the piece of mind I have.

Also make sure you use the proper soft lines these days as well that will stand up the the methynol. Chris will set you up with that as well.

John
r_towle
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Dec 27 2013, 09:11 AM) *

Typical length limitation to European countries is 60 inches, and my package is only 58" long.

I call BS on that statement.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 27 2013, 06:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Dec 27 2013, 09:11 AM) *

I call BS on that statement.

Order a set and I'll ship them to you so you can measure the box. bootyshake.gif
rhodyguy
ha. funny.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.