Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: H.D. Oil Pump Drive
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
I have a new H.D. oil pump I want to use. I am wanting to reassemble the cases today but I forgot about the 1mm maching that needs to be done on the drive tang to prevent it from preloading the cam. It this something that can be done using a bench grinder or do I need to wait until next week IPB Image and find a machine shop?
Allan
IPB Image Anybody? Kinda like to do this today if possible. I'll even post pics.
Dominic
I've done this on the bench grinder before, just make sure you don't take off too much, best to accurately measure it with a mic or a caliper. Don't let it get too hot when your grinding, dip it in some oil or water.
No big deal.
Allan
Thanks. I'm goin in.....
dlee1967
I used a file for better control so that I could get a square edge. No overheating issues either. DLee
Allan
Okay, I might have screwed the pooch. Anyone know what the minimum height the tang has to be. I'm looking at approximately .275 after grinding.
KenH
I have put in 2 and had NO problem. Try and assemble before you grind it. Put some white gease on the tang or inside the slot to see if it rubs off on the matching part.

Ken
Allan
Already done. I am hoping I still have enough length on this thing to work. I don't know why they say to grind it down. I measured the stock pump from the case mating surface to the end of the tang was almost identical to the new one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.