Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Left Door Jamb Paint Code Sticker, For Late 73's and Up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gcrotvik
I am trying to duplicate the paint code sticker that goes in the left door jamb for my 74 restoration project (paint code L80E). I am having a problem trying to determine the actual size of the sticker itself. Does anyone have a car that still has the paint code sticker in the left door jamb? If so, could you provide some measurements of the actual size of the sticker as well as the font height?

See the links below for reference.

https://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zPLM_B1C.jpg
https://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zPLM_B1D.jpg
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=227846

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,

Greg
rhodyguy
old aa catalog lists code L80E as "light ivory" for a 74'. another # is B8V9.
VoPo914
The left door jamb paint code sticker on my car is about 3" x 1". The code is
printed black on a foil covered paper sticker.
VoPo914
After checking the font size, the letters are about 20 point or capital letters about .20"
gcrotvik
QUOTE(VoPo914 @ Jan 2 2014, 02:34 PM) *

The left door jamb paint code sticker on my car is about 3" x 1". The code is
printed black on a foil covered paper sticker.

Thank you for the information. Is 1 x 3 a close estimation or did you measure it? If possible, could you use a ruler in millimeters? I'm trying to be precise. Sorry to be a pain!

Greg
pete000
Did all the 914's come with this decal or what years?

If someone has one carefully removed from a car I know I could probably replicate it exactly.
gcrotvik
QUOTE(pete000 @ Jan 2 2014, 04:04 PM) *

Did all the 914's come with this decal or what years?

If someone has one carefully removed from a car I know I could probably replicate it exactly.

Hi Pete,

I spoke to Jeff Bowlsby about these stickers. He said that they appeared on later 73's and were continued through 76. He also said that he has owned several new 73+ year cars and that neither car has the sticker. So, we can assume that they were placed on the cars randomly.

I have pretty much nailed down the font and size of the sticker. I have a sample to try on my car tonight. There is another thread in the Originality forum that I started. Here is the link: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=227846

I will keep you posted as to how it's going. I know you are the master when it comes to stickers! If I cannot get this over the goal line I will look to you for help.

Thanks!

Greg
bigkensteele
This might not be much help, but mine measures about 26 mm wide. I could not get an accurate length because it folds up over the ledge, but I believe that it is about 65 mm long. As you can see, it was also printed way off center.

Click to view attachment
gcrotvik
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Jan 3 2014, 07:56 AM) *

This might not be much help, but mine measures about 26 mm wide. I could not get an accurate length because it folds up over the ledge, but I believe that it is about 65 mm long. As you can see, it was also printed way off center.

Click to view attachment

Thank you. Every little bit of information helps!

Greg
tod914
Ken, to get an accurate length, use a piece of paper starting at it's base, press it along the contours, then mark it at the top. Then measure the paper as it lays flat. My silver 74 was the only one that had the label like Kens on it. Greg, like I mentioned, happy to get the font right for you if you can touch base with your printer and see what format they want the file in.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jan 3 2014, 09:19 PM) *

Ken, to get an accurate length, use a piece of paper starting at it's base, press it along the contours, then mark it at the top. Then measure the paper as it lays flat. My silver 74 was the only one that had the label like Kens on it. Greg, like I mentioned, happy to get the font right for you if you can touch base with your printer and see what format they want the file in.

Good idea! It is actually 70 mm long (for sure) and 27 mm (I think) tall. Hard to get an accurate reading on the height due to the curled edge.

What measurements would you need to nail down the font?
gcrotvik
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Jan 4 2014, 10:25 AM) *

QUOTE(tod914 @ Jan 3 2014, 09:19 PM) *

Good idea! It is actually 70 mm long (for sure) and 27 mm (I think) tall. Hard to get an accurate reading on the height due to the curled edge.

What measurements would you need to nail down the font?

Measure a letter that is capitalized if possible. If that's not possible, the tallest letter you can measure. Thanks for the label measurements. I figured, from measuring many pictures of labels and then taking an average, that the label was close to 28mm x 70mm. I have a stock label ordered that is 28x70. Once I get them, I will print one up and compare it to the samples. I will post a picture.

Thank you for your help!

Greg
pete000
My 74 1.8 does not have the decal, door jams were never painted but it could have been removed at some point? I am the third owner.

Porsche was quite random back then !
bigkensteele
QUOTE(gcrotvik @ Jan 4 2014, 11:58 AM) *

Measure a letter that is capitalized if possible. If that's not possible, the tallest letter you can measure. Thanks for the label measurements. I figured, from measuring many pictures of labels and then taking an average, that the label was close to 28mm x 70mm. I have a stock label ordered that is 28x70. Once I get them, I will print one up and compare it to the samples. I will post a picture.

Thank you for your help!

Greg

My pleasure!

The capital letters/numbers at the bottom are exactly 4 mm tall. I could not get my caliper in such a position to measure the width, but since that will obviously vary, I didn't think it too important.
gcrotvik
Updated label samples here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry1979644

Greg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.