Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Targa-to-window weatherstripping restraining piece curve
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stephestrad
Yesterday, I started installing new targa-to-window weatherstripping -- the pieces that run along each side of the roof and seal against the top of the windows. I noticed that the curvature of the restraining pieces, the parts into which the weatherstripping slide, do not follow the curve of the roof but instead, bow inward.

Is this normal? Should the curve of the weatherstripping match that of roof? Is there any chance these have been installed backwards and the curve should follow the roof? I'm guessing it's correct as-is, but I was hoping for some confirmation.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
cal914
I did the same thing today and when i saw the curve i thought it must have been wrong ,but seeing your post make's me think it's correct
Brian
stephestrad
That's comforting. Yeah, the odds of them both being wrong seem slim.
Thanks!
Stephen
Mikey914
You will notice the holes are slotted, so there is some adjustment, the metal is soft and is easily deformed, so you can "adjust" as necessary.
ned911
Any tips on the best way to remove the old strip and install the new ones?
nihil44
Yep. Just done mine and had to use immense patience.

The aluminium (that's the way we spell it downunder) strip originally was sealed with that sticky awful butyl rubber stuff to stop water entry under the metal strip. I was thinking of using silicone but used a strip of closed cell foam (plastic or rubber like the material Mark 914 rubber uses) to effect the seal.

I would say be careful placing the mitred end (the rear end) as it needs to meet the vertical targa seal to make a water tight seal but also needs not to be positioned too far back that it doesn't allow the targa to pull down.

I will see if I can add a little later,. Just heading out.

David
Brisbane, Australia
nihil44
if you find that the glass isn't touching the rubber and therefore not making a seal, you can adjust the inward tilt of the top of the window by adjusting the slotted screw at the bottom of the door.

I will try to add some photos to illustrate.

This may have been documented before I discovered these things by the painful method of trial and error.

David
nihil44
Internal view of adjustment screw
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.