Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlight switch removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
I am ready to wire my fogs... early fogs on a late car that did not come with fogs, I don't want to remove my knee pad and seat and twist and turn on my head under the dash. So I figured I would take the HL switch loose and let it hang. Then wire the fog switch and re-install the HL and install the Fog switch.

Does the pull portion come off? There is a collar on the dash side of the switch that threads in to tighten up, but does not seem to be much help in removing the switch. What's the trick?

Clark
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jan 3 2014, 03:21 PM) *

I am ready to wire my fogs... early fogs on a late car that did not come with fogs, I don't want to remove my knee pad and seat and twist and turn on my head under the dash. So I figured I would take the HL switch loose and let it hang. Then wire the fog switch and re-install the HL and install the Fog switch.

Does the pull portion come off? There is a collar on the dash side of the switch that threads in to tighten up, but does not seem to be much help in removing the switch. What's the trick?

Clark

Unscrew the knob. It will come off with the shaft.

Then remove the little ring with the slots in it. It unscrews too.

malcolm2
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 3 2014, 03:25 PM) *

Clark

I figured it un-screwed, but did not want to force it. Let me try very lightly. I guess the procedure might be to turn the lights on (pull shaft out) and use some needle nose pliers to hold the shaft.
gcrotvik
In cars later than 72 (I think) the fog light loom is installed (at the factory) even if the fog lights themselves were not installed. Its under the cable hold down clip right below (or just to the left of) the hole where the fog light switch goes. No need to remove the headlight switch.

The fog lamp switch is third in from the headlight switch, to the right of the emergency flasher fob.

You may need to remove the knee pad to gain access to that area.
malcolm2
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jan 3 2014, 03:29 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 3 2014, 03:25 PM) *

Clark

I figured it un-screwed, but did not want to force it. Let me try very lightly. I guess the procedure might be to turn the lights on (pull shaft out) and use some needle nose pliers to hold the shaft.

OK, I am just too easy on this car. I have broken some stuff, so I have learned to be careful and ask... blink.gif That was easy! Sorry for the stupid question.

Click to view attachment
malcolm2
QUOTE(gcrotvik @ Jan 3 2014, 03:31 PM) *

In cars later than 72 (I think) the fog light loom is installed (at the factory) even if the fog lights themselves were not installed. Its under the cable hold down clip right below (or just to the left of) the hole where the fog light switch goes. No need to remove the headlight switch.

The fog lamp switch is third in from the headlight switch, to the right of the emergency flasher fob.

I found the FL wires in the front trunk so I am sure they will be under the dash. I saw the hole in the dash (covered by the vinyl) so I can install my new switch after it is connected. Maybe you will be right and I won't mess with the HL switch except for the tie-in to term. 15. I just want them working for now. I will do the "on without headlight" wiring at another time.
gcrotvik
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jan 3 2014, 01:44 PM) *

QUOTE(gcrotvik @ Jan 3 2014, 03:31 PM) *

I found the FL wires in the front trunk so I am sure they will be under the dash. I saw the hole in the dash (covered by the vinyl) so I can install my new switch after it is connected. Maybe you will be right and I won't mess with the HL switch except for the tie-in to term. 15. I just want them working for now. I will do the "on without headlight" wiring at another time.

The fog light leads are tied down to the L/R horn leads behind the front bumper. The switch leads are under dash, below the switch. There is no need to tie to terminal 15. The only other thing you may need to do is add a relay on the back side of the fuse panel. Without a relay, there is no power to the loom so they [the factory] can place the wire ends in a place that won't short out. It's a simple installation. No wiring needed on later cars.
toolguy
No.1 Disconnect battery. . .
I found it easier to loosen / remove headlight and hazard switches in order to pull the harness down. . .

Better yet, find someone with really small hands. .
bdstone914
QUOTE(toolguy @ Jan 3 2014, 08:06 PM) *

No.1 Disconnect battery. . .
I found it easier to loosen / remove headlight and hazard switches in order to pull the harness down. . .

Better yet, find someone with really small hands. .

I would pull the tach out and reach in from the top.

Much easier.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.