Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is there a dummy's explanation to set flywheel offset
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rosenfe
Changing flywheel out for a good used one.
bdstone914
What do you mean my offset ? Crank end play?
That is controlled by the shim pack in back of the main seal. You need three shims that allow the correct amount of end play. I think it is about .004- .007".
rosenfe
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jan 4 2014, 09:10 AM) *

What do you mean my offset ? Crank end play?
That is controlled by the shim pack in back of the main seal. You need three shims that allow the correct amount of end play. I think it is about .004- .007".

Yes end play,how do I measure it .ive read info on pelican and auto Atlanta.i need a picture
rosenfe
QUOTE(rosenfe @ Jan 4 2014, 08:58 AM) *

Changing flywheel out for a good used one.

i have a dial indicator,just not sure where to put it? anyone?
stugray
http://www.ephotomotion.com/914engine/page15.html

IPB Image

checkout his entire build thread. That is jut a tiny part of his build
rosenfe
QUOTE(stugray @ Jan 4 2014, 11:38 AM) *

http://www.ephotomotion.com/914engine/page15.html

IPB Image

checkout his entire build thread. That is jut a tiny part of his build

thats what i neede,this forum is great,thanks.
stugray
Although I did it the other way around where my dial indicator was attached to the case and the tip was against the flywheel.

That way I was able to check the runout (out-of-flatness) of the flywheel too
rosenfe

finally pulled engine and trans,didnt break anything,not as hard as i feared.flywheel teeth are all chewed up,as well as teeth on new starter.i took drivetrain out to replace flywheel,as it was making a really bad screech on startup.what could account for such wear on teeth of flywheel.?
r_towle
Take out the spark plugs and see how freely the motor turns using a flywheel bolt to turn it, or even better, just turn it be hand via the flywheel.

Does it turn freely, all the way around 4 times?
Mark Henry
You can get one of these, once on you just use your feeler gauge to set the end play, I've checked mine with mitutoyo dial indicator it's dead nuts on.

IPB Image

Set endplay .003 to .006, I always aim for .003 but not a hair under.

QUOTE(rosenfe @ Jan 11 2014, 05:25 PM) *

finally pulled engine and trans,didnt break anything,not as hard as i feared.flywheel teeth are all chewed up,as well as teeth on new starter.i took drivetrain out to replace flywheel,as it was making a really bad screech on startup.what could account for such wear on teeth of flywheel.?

Is this a bosch starter? sounds like it's sitting in too deep, not deep enough when it engauges or the starter bearings are shot.
rosenfe
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 11 2014, 03:01 PM) *

You can get one of these, once on you just use your feeler gauge to set the end play, I've checked mine with mitutoyo dial indicator it's dead nuts on.

IPB Image

Set endplay .003 to .006, I always aim for .003 but not a hair under.

QUOTE(rosenfe @ Jan 11 2014, 05:25 PM) *

Is this a bosch starter? sounds like it's sitting in too deep, not deep enough when it engauges or the starter bearings are shot.

starter bearings were shot

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.