Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help Identify These Combo Gauges
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jcd914
I have 2 different combo fuel/temp gauges and I don't what the 2 come from originally?

This first one looks older and has a light that can illuminate the far end of the temp red zone, never seen one with a warning light in it?
Click to view attachment

This second one looks newer and more what I expected, no warning light in the temp gauge.
Click to view attachment

I expect the first one is from a 911 but I don't recall any of the 911s having a warning light in the red zone of the temp gauge.

Jim
GulleyGulley
Top one looks like a 914-6 gauge. Check the part number on the top of the gauge face
type47
QUOTE(GulleyGulley @ Jan 8 2014, 04:06 AM) *

Top one looks like a 914-6 gauge.

agree.gif The one in the bottom pic is for a '73 with similar "silver button" gauges (speedo and tach). These were installed in 2L cars without a console. There are 2 more versions of the combo gauge with oil temp: one for '74 car (on "silver button") with a large red temp scale (large like the one in your pic) and '74-> with a small red temp, again, installed in cars w/o console. Pics of the gauges can be found under their part numbers in the Parts Vault on this site (The 914 Forums->Originality and History->Parts Vault). Each gauge has an oil pressure warning light, alternator light and brake light. I believe the extra "light" on the-6 gauge is for something to do with Sportomatic transmission and the extra on the -4 gauge is not used.
Cairo94507
The top one looks like the gauge in my Six. Assuming mine is original, and I believe it is, that is a Six gauge.
JStroud
Well that sucks Jim, if it would have been from a 911 it would be worth less beer.gif

Jeff
Dave_Darling
The 911 gauges are meant to be vertical, not horizontal. The printing shows that none of these are from a 911.

I doubt that the yellow at the right end of the top temp gauge is actually for a light--turn the gauge around and look. If there is no socket behind that section, there is no light there.

--DD
ConeDodger
The top one is indeed identical to McMark's 914-6 combo gauge that I have sitting on my desk.
jcd914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 8 2014, 07:49 AM) *

The 911 gauges are meant to be vertical, not horizontal. The printing shows that none of these are from a 911.

I doubt that the yellow at the right end of the top temp gauge is actually for a light--turn the gauge around and look. If there is no socket behind that section, there is no light there.

--DD

Actually there is a socket for a light for that yellow section, just like the sockets for the other warning lights but different than the illumination sockets.

Jim
jcd914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 8 2014, 07:58 AM) *

The top one is indeed identical to McMark's 914-6 combo gauge that I have sitting on my desk.

Does his 916/6 gauge have the warning light socket at the right end of the temp range?

Jim
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jan 8 2014, 08:03 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 8 2014, 07:58 AM) *

Does his 916/6 gauge have the warning light socket at the right end of the temp range?

Jim

Yes. I'm about to leave for work or I'd take a picture... At the top front of the gauge, under the glass it should have a part number. This one is 914 541 101 10 They are of course rare and valuable, though that one looks like it could use a little lovin'... sad.gif
toolguy
The yellow bulb socket on the right side of the 914-6 gage is for the Sportomatic warning light. . Yeah I know, never made but that is what was suppose to go in there. .
ConeDodger
QUOTE(toolguy @ Jan 8 2014, 08:20 AM) *

The yellow bulb socket on the right side of the 914-6 gage is for the Sportomatic warning light. . Yeah I know, never made but that is what was suppose to go in there. .

Yes, but you'd want to know if you were about to be attacked by a Sportomatic wouldn't you? lol-2.gif
type47
QUOTE(toolguy @ Jan 8 2014, 08:20 AM) *

..., never made .. .

made but never mass produced idea.gif
Dave_Darling
At least 25 regular series-production Sportos were made...

--DD
mrholland2
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 8 2014, 02:42 PM) *

--DD

Has anyone seen a real life sportomatic??
914Sixer
All you have to do is tilt the gauge down and read the part numbers in the 12 o'clock position. The part numbers will tell you all you need to know.
jcd914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 8 2014, 05:49 PM) *

All you have to do is tilt the gauge down and read the part numbers in the 12 o'clock position. The part numbers will tell you all you need to know.

Yes I figured that out but even tilted I can barely see the numbers on this, seems to be recessed farther that the other gauge I have.

It is a 914 641 101 10, so 70/71 914/6 gauge.

Did all of these have the warning light for the Sportomatic or just some?

The other I have is 914 641 101 30, so 73 914/4 without Center console.

Thanks
Jim
Steve
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Jan 8 2014, 04:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 8 2014, 02:42 PM) *

--DD

Has anyone seen a real life sportomatic??

Yes about 25 years ago for sale at the Parts Heaven swap meet for less than $20k. It's now part of George's collection at AA.
Dave_Darling
Is that what happened to that silver one? I wish I'd taken pictures of it...

--DD
Steve
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 8 2014, 09:49 PM) *

Is that what happened to that silver one? I wish I'd taken pictures of it...

--DD

http://www.autoatlanta.com/life/showcase/
It's the orange one in George's museum. See above link.
malcolm2
QUOTE(toolguy @ Jan 8 2014, 10:20 AM) *

I have one of these temp/fuel gauges in a box. It has been a while since I looked, but I don't remember seeing a place for the illumination bulb. I figured that yellow slot was for that, mine is red. If not, where does how does this gauge get back-light?

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.