Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Do you like this name? - Part II
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
Same drill as before...
Steve Thacker
I have to agree with a fellow poster. The name should be attached to your name somehow. It speaks volumes about you and your work. For the sake of playing a little I have tried my hand at this game.

To be honest, I'm even critiquing my own ideas as I spell them out IPB Image

Bernardi Classics (Drab)

OR

Restorations Unlimited (ZZZZzzzzz)

OR

Rust-O-rations Unlimited (just kidding)

OR

DeBernardi's Vintage Restorations (better)

OR

DeBernardi AutoSports LLC. ( jury is still out)

OR

DeBernardi Ltd. ( Getting warmer )
"Purveyors of German Auto Classics"
or
"Purveyors of German Classic Restorations"

OR

Exklusiv Restorations Inc. ( Nah... )

OR

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image Klassisch Konnections LLC. IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
"Purveyors of German Classic Auto Restorations"

OK I'm tired..... IPB Image
spare time toys
QUOTE (McMark @ Jan 2 2005, 06:33 AM)
Same drill as before...

What about Saint Bernardis' Creations We do dog gone good work IPB Image
GWN7
Put Automoblie in front of engine building and move your name to just below Steel, but centered, highlight your name in a darker color
Jeroen
D e   B e r n a r d i
Classic Restorations and Customs

Your last name has a nice "exotic" ring to it, so exploit that IPB Image
jd74914
Your last name has a nice "exotic" ring to it, so exploit that biggrin.gif

IPB Image Your name does have a ring to it. IPB Image
skline
Yeah, good Italian name doing restorations on German cars. Go for it.
Rhodes71/914
IPB Image

I like the idea of using your name, it's unique and will look good along the lines of something like Jeroen said.
rick 918-S
QUOTE (Rhodes71/914 @ Jan 2 2005, 08:26 AM)
IPB Image

I like the idea of using your name, it's unique and will look good along the lines of something like Jeroen said.

IPB Image Memerable, easy to say, personal.

My first business venture out of my garage was when I was 19 yrs. old. Small venture with a name recognition and personal service. I had cards printed.

Rick's Custom Auto Body

I only did street machine stuff, drag cars, bracket and 60's thru 80's show cars. Only worked in the summer. Winters I worked a ship yard for real money. IPB Image After two summers I got the cease and desist letter from the city. I purchased a big building and renamed the place.

Northstarr Body & Paint

I don't have a name like Tuttle, or James, or DE Bernardi so I needed something else that would ring. My other thought on the name thing at that point was I could grow to the point where I had a manager run the place and I could move on to other ventures. (no personal name on the shingle) So there are two schools of thought here. Do what werks for you.
Allan
Yep, keep your name and work from there. IPB Image
Steve Thacker
QUOTE (Lawrence @ Jan 2 2005, 11:44 AM)
Vintage Dreams
Recrafting Automotive Excellence

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
airsix
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Jan 2 2005, 05:04 AM)
D e B e r n a r d i

I agree. In fact, if we were casting ballots that one right there gets my enthusiastic vote.

I like your name and you need people to recognize the name. I make custom folding pocketknives for fun but a lot of guys have a serious career in it. The one constant among all the most sucessfull custom folder makers is an easily recognizable name associated with their product. Not an ambiguous corporate name - their OWN name. Who the heck is going to remember or seek out "Blue Mountain Cuttlery"? Nobody. But if a guy has a name like Jason Cutter, Johnny Stout, or Bob Loveless (examples of actual well known custom makers) and puts that name on his product people begin to associate the product with the maker. This, IMHO is the only way to truely develop a reputation in your field. Mark De Bernardi needs a reputation, not a company owned by him. People don't pay much attention to companies - they pay attention to other people. Another example would be custom choppers since that's so 'in' right now. Who in the freaking world is NOT going to remember a guy like Indian Larry. I mean, I can't forget him and I'm not even into bikes. Every person in the free-world knows who Jesse James is. I bet only a small percentage could tell you the name of his company.

One last thing. When you put your name on your product, right then and there you move ahead of the competition because you say to the world "My name is Mark De Bernardi. This is my work, and I'm proud to put my name on it where you can all see it." To me it says that you are not afraid to be scrutinized which to me is a good indicator of a quality product.

-Ben M.
SirAndy
QUOTE (airsix @ Jan 2 2005, 01:29 PM)
D e   B e r n a r d i

I agree. In fact, if we were casting ballots that one right there gets my enthusiastic vote.

IPB Image use your name stupid!

IPB Image Andy
McMark
*sigh*

I've said my name all my life, so I've heard it a million times. I guess that's why I have been reluctant to use it.
Carl
D e   B e r n a r d i

This is very good but it doesn't say what classics are restored or customized. It could be homes, furniture, whatever.
Maybe change the bottom line to Auto Restorations and Customs? "Car" is shorter than "Auto" but it doesn't sound as elegant. To me, the word "Classic" isn't so necessary with "Restorations" there.

I like Lawrences' idea with Vintage but, in an area with a lot of wine production, that may be confused with something to do with the wine industry.

The use of your last name is a plus.
tiim5
Mark, forget my prior emails. I like Jeoren's suggestions. Like it or not, your name IS already "out there", it will only become more recognized as your business takes off, which it will in very short order.
McMark
I guess the question is, how dumbed down do I have to make it? I have to assume a certain level of previous information. If you have my card you probably know I work with cars. I don't plan on hiring a plane to drop them from the sky. Some people think, "the dumber the better". I feel that at a certain level I'll start to look stupid. I don't need to point out the obvious to people or I seem stupid.
spare time toys
The only bad thing about using your name is if you get big and the share holders kick you out you can lose the rights to your name. Remember back when Boyd Codington was fat. He went public and got kicked out by the board IPB Image . Probably for those dumb shirts he has on all the time. Thats why Boyds wheels had no conection with him for awhile. He may have bought his way back in but I think thats why its Codingtons garage now and not just Boyds.
Howard
D e   B e r n a r d i

IPB Image Absolutely!

You should always use your name. Unless your last name is Dranow (pronounced like the product). Then you use your first name IPB Image
Lou W
Carl Posted on Jan 2 2005, 02:33 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D e   B e r n a r d i

This is very good but it doesn't say what classics are restored or customized. It could be homes, furniture, whatever.
Maybe change the bottom line to Auto Restorations and Customs? "Car" is shorter than "Auto" but it doesn't sound as elegant. To me, the word "Classic" isn't so necessary with "Restorations" there.

I like Lawrences' idea with Vintage but, in an area with a lot of wine production, that may be confused with something to do with the wine industry.

The use of your last name is a plus.  
I agree, De Bernardi Classic Automobile Restorations and Customs. IPB Image
Pnambic
Sounding like a broken record....I like the sound and look of DeBernardi.
How 'bout:

D e B e r n a r d i
 Custom Auto Steelwerks

Or maybe:

D e B e r n a r d i
 Custom Auto Restorations

... I guess the question is, how dumbed down do I have to make it?

Well, that depends on your target audience. You're not really shooting for the soccer mom crowd, or the over sixty school librarian so you may have a bit more leeway here. You need creative and most importantly, memorable. Clever alternative spellings and alliteration can be very effective, but you can also easily go too far there. Its a tough balance. When you narrow it down, post a poll and I'm sure you'll get plenty of "expert opinions" from everyone here. IPB Image IPB Image
swood
What is your target market? What classics are you capable of restoring? I know what "Rabys Aircooled Technology" deals with (for example).

Just make sure you like the name you go with. You won't want to change it mid-stream. IPB Image
neo914-6
Mark,
I think you should include your first name. Your clients will always call/remember you by your first name. Maybe initials like "MdB" in a designed logo with your full name under it.

Definitely include "automotive" or "motor". Keep your services less specific unless you really only want to promote restorations, engine rebuilds, and only on German cars. Try words like "Werks", "European", "unique", or "vintage". I don't like "custom" but it is a common description.
Felix
airsix
QUOTE (Jaiderenegadesimpson V8 914 @ Jan 2 2005, 08:58 PM)
Mark,
I think you should include your first name.

Nah... Just go with De Bernardi. Then later, when you get big and design and build your own cars you can call the first one the "Mark I" and the next one the "Mark II" and so on. IPB Image

Seriously though, Yaroon nailed it.

Ben M.
Meredith
I haven't seen anyone mention it yet, but I would recommend using your last name. IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE (Meredith @ Jan 2 2005, 10:05 PM)
I haven't seen anyone mention it yet, but I would recommend using your last name. IPB Image

ah, another snot-nosed punk kid ...

IPB Image IPB Image Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.