Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A brand new MPS!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JawjaPorsche
Never seen a new one. I guess this is the going rate? Like how they spelled PROSCHE in the ad, not once but twice!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Prosche-914-Fuel-I...851&vxp=mtr
type47
Unless my eyes deceive me, aren't those cheesehead screws instead of rivets? Not even NOS for $610 ...
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(type47 @ Jan 15 2014, 05:15 AM) *

Unless my eyes deceive me, aren't those cheesehead screws instead of rivets? Not even NOS for $610 ...

It appears you are unaware of the fact many units, depending on application, or maybe production batch, came with screws instead of rivets. They had a paint patch on one or more screw heads to identify tampering. Consider yourself informed ....................

The Cap'n
SLITS
That unit has been "rebuilt" at some point in it's life. Since there are no ID Stickers shown, can't tell you by whom.

About $300 - $400 to high from my experience with rebuilders.
type47
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 15 2014, 07:44 AM) *

It appears you are unaware of the fact

Unaware of many facts and am so very happy you are always there with the correct facts ...
tod914
When still available, I recall they nearly doubled in price over the course of a year right after they went NLA. Last price I seen was in the $1,200 range from various resellers that still had them in stock. That was like 10 years ago. That's clearly not NOS. Nice that the repair kits are offered now.
turk22
$610 + 14.95 shipping.... WTF.gif

talk about gouging you on both ends... costs about $4 to ship that thing...should be free after paying $600+
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(turk22 @ Jan 15 2014, 08:33 PM) *

$610 + 14.95 shipping.... WTF.gif

talk about gouging you on both ends... costs about $4 to ship that thing...should be free after paying $600+

$4? Parcel Post?
Postal Priority Flat Rate will be more than $10.
FedEx won't be any cheaper.
I would think that after paying so much you'd want the shipment fully insured,
and I'm sure the seller expects delivery confirmation as well.

Why doesn't someone ask the seller to answer the New vs. rebuilt question?
ClayPerrine
That is for a 73-76 2.0L, so if it is NOS, it may be worth the money.

a914luvr
That's the sillyness that is now ebay. I've seen $1195.00 911 spark plug wires and many, many items at well above retail. Sellers are fishing for dumb and/or desperate buyers. I think just for fun I'm going to list a rubber grommet on ebay for $9800.00.
SLITS
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 15 2014, 07:44 AM) *

QUOTE(type47 @ Jan 15 2014, 05:15 AM) *

It appears you are unaware of the fact many units, depending on application, or maybe production batch, came with screws instead of rivets. They had a paint patch on one or more screw heads to identify tampering. Consider yourself informed ....................

The Cap'n

Ok John, I doubt Bosch made them with screws and the yellow paint on the screws. Most rebuilders like Python, FIC or whomever rebuilt the units do use an expoxy or yellow paint to mark the screws for warranty purposes.

I just love to argue with you.

I have 4 of these units in hand as I type ... two have screws and I know they have been rebuilt by the stickers on them and they both have yellow paint/epoxy over one of the screws.

They other two are OEM and have rivets.

My price just went from $50 - $75 to a discounted $515 each with Free Shipping.

Slits ... on his 4th cup of Louisiana Coffee with Chicory .... and ready for a fight!
rmdinmd
I did post the question.

he said it was NOS and he had the original box. dry.gif I wouldn't know either way, but it wouldn't be the first time I was lied too. laugh.gif
stugray
Just out of curiosity: How many would be interested in buying a modern electronic MPS for a couple hundred $$?

I did a little research into how these work from the pbanders site and I am fairly confident that I could make a direct plugin replacement that would simulate the original MPS.

It would even have a usb port that would allow the user to "tweak" the settings or configure the unit to be exactly the same as any stock unit.

I estimate the parts to cost ~$75 and the code would be under 100 lines (except for the drop in USB port support package)
Dave_Darling
You can set up something that will vary the inductive coupling on two pair of wires depending on a vacuum signal? For that cheap? Color me impressed; I wasn't able to come up with a decent way to do that, even just brainstorming.

If you can do it, I would love to see one!

--DD
mrholland2
QUOTE(stugray @ Jan 16 2014, 09:52 AM) *

Just out of curiosity: How many would be interested in buying a modern electronic MPS for a couple hundred $$?

I did a little research into how these work from the pbanders site and I am fairly confident that I could make a direct plugin replacement that would simulate the original MPS.

It would even have a usb port that would allow the user to "tweak" the settings or configure the unit to be exactly the same as any stock unit.

I estimate the parts to cost ~$75 and the code would be under 100 lines (except for the drop in USB port support package)

Can you do such a thing that would work for an engine that has been rebuilt for carbs instead of FI?
stugray
You can set up something that will vary the inductive coupling on two pair of wires depending on a vacuum signal? For that cheap? Color me impressed; I wasn't able to come up with a decent way to do that, even just brainstorming.

I'll give up my secrets and work with anyone that wants to pitch in.
If you used a modern Manifold pressure sensor like McMark used with an arduino:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...amp;hl=manifold

Those sensors just put out a voltage that is proportional to Man. Press.
You could sense the voltage with a $7 microcontroller with Analog input to read it:
http://www.dfrobot.com/index.php?route=pro...product_id=1075
IPB Image

(Or McMark's Arduino would work just fine)

Here is the diagram of the MPS output signal wrt the input signal
courtesy of pbanders site(http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/ecu.htm#PL):

IPB Image

The microcontroller would sense the TL trigger signal (this falling edge identifies the start of a injector pulse), then the micro would have an output that simulates the secondary output signal.
The beauty is that the stock ECU system senses when this secondary signal recovers from a large negative voltage and reaches -0.7 volts and then stops the injection pulse.

The microcontroller could just use a digital signal output to simulate the secondary signal.
It would just need to go negative at the start of the TL trigger signal, then return to zero volts when it wants the injection pulse to end.
The ECU would sense this (essentially instantaneous) transition from -5.0 Volts to 0.0 volts as the transition across -0.7 Volts and it would end the injector pulse.

A second analog input to the micro could be a temp sensor.

The micro would use the Manifold pressure & the temp to adjust the injector pulse width.

Since the code on the micro can be changed via a basic USB connector, you would change the internal software parameters with any PC.

I am not sure of the amplitudes of the voltages in the signal diagram above, so the drive circuitry might require some external discrete components to generate those voltage levels.

McMarks gadget from the thread posted above gets you 90% of the way there.
stugray
Can you do such a thing that would work for an engine that has been rebuilt for carbs instead of FI?

You have a car with Carbs AND a manifold pressure sensor?

You might be interested in McMarks carb syncro gadget:

Mcmark's gadget

JeffBowlsby
Stop this hearsay nonsense and don't get our hopes up without at least a working prototype. Just like the other myth that you can't turbo a 914, the MPS cannot be functionally emulated with chip, its impossible. wink.gif

QUOTE(stugray @ Jan 16 2014, 09:52 AM) *

ChrisFoley
Its my understanding that BR has a working prototype.
At least that's what he posted on my facebook page when I posted about the MPS diaphragm kits coming soon.
KELTY360
QUOTE(stugray @ Jan 16 2014, 11:42 AM) *

Mcmark's gadget

I'm thinking he want's to go back to djet with an engine cammed for carbs.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(stugray @ Jan 16 2014, 11:41 AM) *

The beauty is that the stock ECU system senses when this secondary signal recovers from a large negative voltage and reaches -0.7 volts and then stops the injection pulse.

It just senses voltage? Heck, that's a ton and a half easier than I had been thinking!

When can we expect your prototype? wink.gif

--DD
stugray
When can we expect your prototype?

well I DID just order the little microcontroller I posted above and found out which MPS McMark was using. Now I just need to drop by the pick-u-part next time I drive down to denver.
Problem is that as of probably tomorrow I will no longer have a FI car to test.
JeffBowlsby
I am sure you can find a a test mule somewhere in our community. wavey.gif
saigon71
QUOTE(stugray @ Jan 16 2014, 12:52 PM) *

This would be an awesome development beerchug.gif and yes, I would be interested when my MPS fails.

brant
I have a running diet test mule about 5 blocks from your house?
mrholland2
QUOTE(stugray @ Jan 16 2014, 11:42 AM) *

Mcmark's gadget

I didn't make me question clear. I was wondering if a fuel injection controller could be made that would compensate for the "carb cam" but going back to fuel injection? Or am I lost on your original post? (which is likely)

Thanks

Sean
JamesM
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 16 2014, 08:11 AM) *

It would be worth a LOT of money given that the 73 2.0 used a different part then 74-76
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(JamesM @ Jan 16 2014, 10:48 PM) *

It would be worth a LOT of money given that the 73 2.0 used a different part then 74-76

Superseded over the years to one part number..........
JamesM
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 16 2014, 09:52 PM) *

QUOTE(JamesM @ Jan 16 2014, 10:48 PM) *

Superseded over the years to one part number..........

but still not correct. I have both, there is a difference, though it is minor.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.