Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: shift rod tubing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
What is the I.D. of the shift rod tube, and the O.D. of the steering wheel shaft with the U Joints? I'm wondering about the fitment of the steering shaft with the splined ends and U Joints if they will fit into it??
Mike Bellis
When I built my shifter, I used 3/4" DOM tubing, .120 wall. Plenty strong. The OD of the front shift rod is close to 3/4". I bought some 3/4" U Joints from ebay and welded, drilled and tapped various connection points. I re-used the front splined piece from the front rod. I bought 2 bronze console bushings and built a carrier for the rear shift pivot. I also bought a spherical bulkhead bearing bearing for the firewall.
partwerks
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jan 16 2014, 09:50 PM) *

When I built my shifter, I used 3/4" DOM tubing, .120 wall. Plenty strong. The OD of the front shift rod is close to 3/4". I bought some 3/4" U Joints from ebay and welded, drilled and tapped various connection points. I re-used the front splined piece from the front rod. I bought 2 bronze console bushings and built a carrier for the rear shift pivot. I also bought a spherical bulkhead bearing bearing for the firewall.

Do you happen to have some pictures of the setup?
76-914
It's been done.I remember someone here posted pic's of their install with the steering u-joint. idea.gif
stownsen914
The stock shift rod is actually pretty thin wall stuff, like .060". Generally that's good enough, EXCEPT where you're going to bolt up a U joint. You actually don't want your shift rod too heavy as that can reduce feel and responsiveness in your shifting. I had to significantly reconfigure my shift linkage due to other mods on my racecar. I used thin wall stuff for the longer sections of the shift rod, and welded in short sections (1-2") of heavier wall tubing like .120" where the U joint bolts up.

Scott
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(partwerks @ Jan 17 2014, 04:26 AM) *

Its in one of my build threads. Part 1 or 2
partwerks
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jan 17 2014, 07:23 AM) *

QUOTE(partwerks @ Jan 17 2014, 04:26 AM) *

Its in one of my build threads. Part 1 or 2

Where do I find that at?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(partwerks @ Jan 17 2014, 04:40 PM) *

Where do I find that at?

Looks like I used 5/8"

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...3156&st=100

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.