Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I need someone
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
Ok, I took out the rear shift rod and modified it again and I still cannot shift the car into reverse. In fact, I can barely get it into any gear now. I am ready to give up on it, so I need someone to ride in the trunk and shift it for me manually. We could cut a hole in the trunk and you can just reach your arm down and shift it each time you hear the clutch engage. Does that sound like something someone here wants to do? Other wise, I have another stock rod I will cut and modify to try to make this thing work. IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
Eric_Shea
I'm game... can I get a burger outta the deal? IPB Image
soloracer
Are you taking applicants for the job? In addition to the oil tank does your car have a beer tank? I have a feeling that if one of us was to "assume the position" you would be getting 1 beer per mile so it could make driving the teener a tad expensive. IPB Image
McMark
Whoa whoa whoa. There's burgers involved? Nobody told me that.
Aaron Cox
WTF did you do?????

why not take a stock rod, and ADD a length of rod EXACTLY the distance the trans was moved back.....

Easy IPB Image
ws91420
Why not get Britney? (had to say it)
skline
I did that already. Then when Jared and I pulled the trans out and put it back in, the distance changed. So I went back in and cut it again and set it to the exact length per Renegade instructions, It is now worse than it was before. So I guess I will start over with a fresh rod and make it 1.25 inches longer than stock.
ejm
Sounds like you could use a Trunk Monkey IPB Image
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (skline @ Jan 2 2005, 02:29 PM)
I did that already. Then when Jared and I pulled the trans out and put it back in, the distance changed. So I went back in and cut it again and set it to the exact length per Renegade instructions, It is now worse than it was before. So I guess I will start over with a fresh rod and make it 1.25 inches longer than stock.

you can make up for the change at the shifter console. it has a slip joint. Side to Side adjustment is done there, as is Front to Back adjustment IPB Image
read your haynes manual IPB Image

let me know if you need further clarification
Aaron Cox
is the rod not traveling far enough fore to aft? or not enough side to side to engage gears correctly?

ex: i can hit gears 1 , 3 , 5 and not R,2,4,

or i can hit R and 1
skline
I cant hit reverse, 2, 4. It doesnt feel right at all. I have limited movement of the shifter side to side and fore to aft. Has anyone ever just straightened out one of these rods? I think part of my problem is it is hitting on the engine mount bar. If I straighten it out, it will make it longer and it may not hit the bar. Doesnt look like it will be that easy to make it straight however. I was just wondering if anyone has done this.
iamchappy
Everyone seems to have there method of adjusting the shift rod, My method is I drive around with access to the shift rod coupler and a few wrenches. I drive around starting and stopping, and adjusting until everything feels perfect. When you have it right you will know. A good initial setting is put it into 3rd loosen up the coupler move the shift into the neutral area and over a little to the right and retighten.
You will be able to feel when the spring lockout into reverse is separating the reverse and 2nd gear selection.
Aaron Cox
scott... this is way easy.

make a bar that doesnt hit the engine bar.... then well go from there.

you can manually set the trans in 2nd gear, and with the rod loose at the shifter...set THE SHIFTER where you want 2nd gear to be. Tighten the clamp inthe tunnel. then go fore aft/ side side movements from there. if you cant hit a gear, roate the shift rod in the tunnel a tad until you can....

this aint rocket science, you should have it done in an hour or two IPB Image

once you get it there use the above imchappy method to check
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE (skline @ Jan 2 2005, 02:29 PM)

How can the distance change just by removing and replacing the transmission? I'll be home tomorrow afternoon I think and maybe can come over and help. Let me know if you are working on the car tomorrow.
Cheers, Elliot
skline
Yeah, I will be out here tomorrow afternoon. Got a few jobs in the morning first. I have to try to get the Christmas lights down now so I stopped working on the car.
rick 918-S
Broke a throttle cable once on a corvair. I had the wife drive while I sat under the engine lid and ran the throttle! IPB Image pretty dumb now that I think back on it.
skline
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Jan 2 2005, 05:17 PM)
Broke a throttle cable once on a corvair. I had the wife drive while I sat under the engine lid and ran the throttle! IPB Image pretty dumb now that I think back on it.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. It just shows that you are willing to do what it takes.
Joe Bob
You need a rack to put it up on while "Dumb" is in the driver seat....."Dumber" underneath....adjustments can be made whilst under the car.....

I have a rack...c'mon up, we'll fix it.

Signed Dumb.... IPB Image

PS Dumber is only a 1/2 mile away and works fer beer.... IPB Image
skline
I do need that trailer Mike, seems it will be the only way this car ever goes anywhere. I will send you a PM
DJsRepS
My car had simular shifting problems with these bushings in there in order pvc shifter ball, bushing by shifter, bushing in firewall, (I hope there never is a fire!) and the rear pvc bushing clamped to the bar. Reverse and 1,2,3rd all great but hard as hell to find 4th&5th. All better now thanks to Pelican. These were only 6yrs old. I think we are getting 30yr old new parts. My new set was so stiff and hard to get in, I even hard boiled them. How are all of yours?
skline
New, I replaced them when I started putting it all together. I did have a hard time getting the one into the firewall. I think it is still binding a little but that wouldnt cause it not to shift, just makes it harder to move the shifter front to rear.
DJsRepS
My front to rear was a little stiff as well, it will get better soon.
DJsRepS
Sounds like a 2man job or one man and a wife that can hold your stick in place! The clamped slip sleve will center your front to rear travel and your left to right position. My wife holds my stick in neutral and to the right as I lay undrer the tail shifter the adjust sleve loose and with chanel locks twist the main tube into the 4th/5th side of the fork and a cresent wrench on the trany fork to move foward and backward to feel my to an centered neutral position. My wife cant drive a stick but sure can ride one.
skline
Hey now, this is a family show here. I am going to give Joe Sharp a call, I hear he is a master at shifter adjustments. I think it would be helpful to have another mind to figure this out.
Joe Bob
Well haul yer butt up here and get it....

Anybody want those 964 wheels and tires?
Howard
Hey, Scott. Still have that extra towbar setup that bolts to the bumper mounts on a teener. Not as good as a trailer of course, but no storage issues. PM me if you want it. Did you ever get hitch for old yeller?
Joe Bob
Howie,,,,I'll take the tow bar.....
Reiche
QUOTE (skline @ Jan 2 2005, 01:19 PM)
I need someone to ride in the trunk and shift it for me manually. We could cut a hole in the trunk and you can just reach your arm down and shift it each time you hear the clutch engage. Does that sound like something someone here wants to do?

IPB Image
I think that's what R2D2 was really doing in the back of Luke's X-wing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.