Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Helper Spring - Floater/Slider Use
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
tomeric914
Finally got all of my parts together for the new coilover setup and ran into a little snag. For giggles, I purchased a floater/slider to go with each helper spring to keep everything aligned, but on trial fitment, I notice that the slider hits the adjustment collar before the helper is fully compressed dry.gif . There is no way that is correct (see below) and this will fail over time.

A floater isn't really needed, so it could be run without one or part of the floater sleeve could be removed to eliminate the interference. Anyone else run into this?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Matt Romanowski
The zero rate helper spring goes on top of the regular spring with the divider in the middle. It won't ever reach the perch.
tomeric914
QUOTE(Matt Romanowski @ Jan 18 2014, 09:24 PM) *

The zero rate helper spring goes on top of the regular spring with the divider in the middle. It won't ever reach the perch.

Then it will conflict with the upper perch and potentially move all over the place. I'll shave off part of the floater/slider.

If this were a tender spring, the slider would never touch. Reality is that the slider really isn't needed with a helper spring. It was suggested by the supplier I bought the coilover parts from. I'll shave it and put together an assembly thread, FWIW.
tomeric914
I called Hypercoil today to see what their suggestion was for helper spring couplers and was able to talk with their Product Development Manager. He said that a divider was always necessary when 2 springs are stacked on top of each other and suggested their 18DS100 which is a plastic stacked spring divider. He said that even though the spring divider will hit the perch before the helper spring fully compresses, a 200 lb spring (in my case) would work fine with it. He also mentioned that Hypercoil will be coming out with a new thicker helper spring (CS650) in about 6 weeks. This helper spring will address the divider problem that I illustrated above.

I shaved the red dividers down shown above, but they still contact the threaded collars before the helpers are fully compressed. Shaved down. they also don't slide as well, but their movement should only be at the extreme limits of suspension travel. It's well below zero and will be snowy for at least the next 6 weeks anyway. Maybe I'll just wait...
914werke
I made a pair of these these today. smile.gif The center opening easily clears the top mount when compressed. Recessed both sides.
tomeric914
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Jan 24 2014, 07:14 PM) *

I made a pair of these these today. smile.gif The center opening easily clears the top mount when compressed. Recessed both sides.

Now you're just teasing me... Are these in your garage sale??? beerchug.gif
tomeric914
Link to my "How To" video and parts list:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=229288
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.