Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: seat belts question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
I see that there is a Driver's belt and a Passenger's belt. Has anyone tried to put the P on the D side and visa-versa?

My passenger belt is quick to retract, but my belt (driver, of course) needs lots of coaxing to retract. Before you suggest it, I have pulled the thing apart, re-tensioned the spring and re-installed. I DON'T RECOMMEND doing that, and will not do it again. blink.gif blink.gif

I also see from searching that several other Porsche model's belts work nicely in the 914. Has anyone assembled ,in one place, a listing of model to model cross-over ? Maybe have the mods included?

I also found a site that will make a new one. anyone ever use www.seatbeltplanet.com as a source for new? I need to get a few more measurements and bolt locations ironed out before is drop $80 on one, but it looks pretty good.

Clark
rjames
Lots and LOTS of posts covering all of your questions.

In brief- I don't know about the non-retractable versions, but you cannot swap the later model retractable types.

944 belts can be modded to fit but at last check, they weren't available new anymore so you're looking at buying used.

Seatbelt Planet makes two belts that will fit in the 914 and look pretty decent. One you can get from their web site which works OK (I bought one but didn't like it) and another model that supposedly works like the oem belts in that it must be mounted vertically to work correctly. That one isn't available on their web site, but I was told you can still order it by contacting them directly (and promising you will mount it correctly) I haven't had in my hands to test.

Contact info:

Steve Pekrul
Senior Sales Manger
SeatbeltPlanet.com
Toll Free 877-435-6363
Mon-Fri 8am-4:30 pm Central Time
Mblizzard
One thing that I did which helped but not fixed the retraction was applying scotch guard to the belt to make slide.
JawjaPorsche
My daughter gave me a brand new driver's side from Auto Atlanta last year for Christmas. Don't know if they have anymore.
SKL1
Had seatbeltplanet rebuild my belts in red to match the car- did a great job and they work like new. Look OEM except for colour... Using original female end.Click to view attachment
Harpo
What did they charge you to rebuild your belts?

Thanks

David
somd914
I just took a quick look at my old factory belts and don't see any apparent difference between driver and passenger. I also don't recall the new ones being marked for a specific side.

But new belts are cheap in all reality. I was able to use the original receivers with new belts so they look very close to the factory system.
rjames
QUOTE(somd914 @ Jan 21 2014, 05:47 PM) *

I just took a quick look at my old factory belts and don't see any apparent difference between driver and passenger. I also don't recall the new ones being marked for a specific side.

But new belts are cheap in all reality. I was able to use the original receivers with new belts so they look very close to the factory system.

Left and right have different model #s. The way they mount, the left takeup real won't fit on the right side, and visa-versa.
somd914
QUOTE(rjames @ Jan 22 2014, 03:51 PM) *

QUOTE(somd914 @ Jan 21 2014, 05:47 PM) *

Left and right have different model #s. The way they mount, the left takeup real won't fit on the right side, and visa-versa.

Concur after taking a closer look -part numbers were not legible but there is a difference in the case. Thanks for the catch.
gcrotvik
The L/R belt housing bases are different and are not interchangeable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.