Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: best way to repair engine tin/sheet metal cracks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lonewolfe
I've searched around quite a bit on here and other sites about the best way to repair engine tin or sheetmetal cracks. I know this must have been covered before because every 914 or VW for that matter I've ever owned has had at least some cracks in the engine tin somewhere.

I'm wondering if I should try welding these cracks up with a mig welder, braising them with a torch or some other method would be better. Any suggestions? What have you all done to repair your engine tins? Do you have any pictures of your repairs?

Any information will be appreciated.

MMW
I would mig or tig weld them. Brazing will not hold up. Since the tins are very thin just use tack welds until a full weld is had. Like doing a body panel. Also a pc. of copper as a backer will help prevent blow through. Even a flattened copper pipe works.
lonewolfe
QUOTE(MMW @ Jan 22 2014, 04:07 AM) *

I would mig or tig weld them. Brazing will not hold up. Since the tins are very thin just use tack welds until a full weld is had. Like doing a body panel. Also a pc. of copper as a backer will help prevent blow through. Even a flattened copper pipe works.

Thanks for your suggestions. I have a mig welder and a copper spoon. This stuff is all new. I have some scrap tin pieces that I can do a little practicing on. I was just afraid the mig would be too much for that engine tin. I couldn't find any info on what other people had done.
MMW
You should be using .023/.025 wire on really thin stuff. You can get away with .030 or .035 but it makes it a little harder.
r_towle
QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Jan 22 2014, 08:12 AM) *

Thanks for your suggestions. I have a mig welder and a copper spoon. This stuff is all new. I have some scrap tin pieces that I can do a little practicing on. I was just afraid the mig would be too much for that engine tin. I couldn't find any info on what other people had done.

Its sheet metal.
Mig it, grind down your welds, prime it and either powder coat it or paint it.

Simple stuff to fix.

Rich
Mark Henry
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 22 2014, 10:55 AM) *

QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Jan 22 2014, 08:12 AM) *

Its sheet metal.
Mig it, grind down your welds, prime it and either powder coat it or paint it.

Simple stuff to fix.

Rich

agree.gif
Don't obsess about it too much, you can barely see it in the car. The exception is the /4 top cylinder/head tins but even they can be hard to see. I've brushed on DuPont nason black and you can't tell when in the car.
lonewolfe
QUOTE(MMW @ Jan 22 2014, 06:47 AM) *

You should be using .023/.025 wire on really thin stuff. You can get away with .030 or .035 but it makes it a little harder.

That's a great tip about the .023/.025 wire. That I do not have so will pick some up.

I really appreciate everyones great suggestions and quick response.

Thank you!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.