Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flywheel Pilot Bearing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
I previously acquired all the parts for a clutch replacement: flywheel, pressure plate, clutch, throw out bearing, and the clips, seals, bolts, washers, and bushing that go along with the main parts.

Two questions:
1. I have two clutch disks, a 6 spring and a 4 spring. Which would be preferred for street driving ?

2. I do not have a new flywheel pilot bearing; should I buy one before I start. And, would a VW parts house carry them.

Car is going in next week to replace everything, just want to have all the parts on-hand
SLITS
Ok Jim,

The 4 spring was for the /4. Supposedly they don't make the 4 spring anymore and it was replaced by the 6 spring which was originally for the /6. The 6 spring gives a smoother take up (engagement) of the clutch. Use the 6 spring.

If the pilot bearing is still good there is no need to change it. It should run smoothly when a pilot shaft (or your finger if it's small enough) is used to rotate in it.
gunny
You need a new pilot bearing to go with your new flywheel. Don't skip the little things, it's not easy to get the old one out undammaged and then install in new flywheel.
Jon H.
I got a few engine parts from the local VW shop, they might have the pilot bearing.

Jon
Mark Henry
The pilot bearing is a pretty standard part, VW type 1 though 4, at least to '89 911 so any VW bug shop.

The 4 spring has clearance issues if the flywheel has been reground, but if it clears I'd use it if to just get rid of it. No real difference.
jim_hoyland
Thank's for the tips. All the parts are new; I'll pick up the new bearing.
bdstone914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jan 22 2014, 07:05 PM) *

Do not forget the flywheel o ring and crush washer.

Pelican shows them under flywheel parts.
Bruce
Mark Henry
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jan 22 2014, 10:30 PM) *

Bruce

There is also a felt seal that mounts between the pilot bearing and the flywheel bolt washer. smile.gif
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jan 22 2014, 07:30 PM) *

Bruce

I have all the small parts shown on:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca..._Tclutc_pg1.htm

The only one I didn't get was the Flywheel pilot bearing; the local VW shop has it.
OU8AVW
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jan 23 2014, 06:14 AM) *

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jan 22 2014, 07:30 PM) *

Bruce

I have all the small parts shown on:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca..._Tclutc_pg1.htm

The only one I didn't get was the Flywheel pilot bearing; the local VW shop has it.

Got any tips on installing the pilot bearing? I think I screwed mine up as it doesn't run free. Is there a heat/cold technique?
Dave_Darling
No heat needed, it should just slip in. I think it may go in from the back of the flywheel, though?

--DD
sean_v8_914
i see lots of cars missing the spacer that lives in teh crank end
jim_hoyland
Still need the M12 x 1.5 flywheel bolts, 25mm ? Autoparts store ?
bdstone914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jan 23 2014, 03:04 PM) *

Jim,

In another thread The Cap'n replied that they can be reused.

I have a used set you can have or they are available new.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...-014-336-1-M100

Bruce
Dave_Darling
The flywheel bolts are special parts, not standard hardware-store items. The back side of the head has teeth that bite into the lock plate.

I recommend replacing them, though I have ignored that recommendation in my own case more than once... With new bolts, you are much more certain that the teeth are in good shape, for one thing.

--DD
Bulldog9
QUOTE(OU8AVW @ Jan 23 2014, 09:49 AM) *

Got any tips on installing the pilot bearing? I think I screwed mine up as it doesn't run free. Is there a heat/cold technique?

I used a socket that was the same size as the outer race and tapped it into the flywheel with a small hammer.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jan 24 2014, 10:53 AM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jan 23 2014, 03:04 PM) *

Jim,

In another thread The Cap'n replied that they can be reused.

I have a used set you can have or they are available new.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...-014-336-1-M100

Bruce

Thanks Bruce smile.gif I went ahead and ordered new ones from Pelican. They are hard to find; even Hillco didn't have them.

What's the story on adjusting the crank end play with shims; where are shims available, and how people find replacing a flywheel also requires shims confused24.gif
reharvey
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Jan 23 2014, 01:13 PM) *

i see lots of cars missing the spacer that lives in teh crank end

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.