Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ideas, suggestions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
Ever since I did my SBC conversion, I've never been happy with the sharp turn the 1 1/4 gate hose had to take from the water pump to follow the bottom of the car. When the hose is cold the turn actually causes the hose to kink, but once the pump pressurizes the system the hose fills out and unkinks.

Anyway, what I need to do is add a 90 degree turn either with some pipe or a formed piece of radiator hose. I would appreciate some ideas how you would approach this.

Ideally it would be nice to have a curved piece of pipe welded to outlet on the pump, but not even sure if you can. It's made of cast aluminum I believe. This would then only require one clamp where the pipe would join the hose.

Alternately, I could purchase a 90 degree radiator silicone elbow but then would also need a union tee and multiple places to clamp.

In an old posting, I saw that someone said that Renegade offered a 90 degree tee.

Ideas?
Click to view attachment

ThePaintedMan
Why not take the elbow off and bring it to a radiator shop to have them weld you a 90 degree extension? You could mock up the bend that you require with some electrical conduit... or get it at least close enough to demonstrate what you desire. Good luck!
wildman
Usually when I have that sort of problem I go to my local parts store and ask if I can go in the back and look at their formed hoses. Then I will buy one where at least some portion has the right bend (or very close to it) and I'll cut off the excess. It looks cleaner that way IMO and there are fewer connections to leak
JRust
I have done it a couple ways. The formed hoses are good they just mean you need a sleeve (pipe) to make the transition between the 2. I've use the muffler pieces as you can use them as a reducer if need be too. Getting a pipe with a 90 bend that you can attach to the mount is a decent idea too. You just have more short hoses to deal with.

Oh & if you haven't considered making the trip to NM for Route 66. You should evilgrin.gif
SLITS
The are hoses made with a wire spiral in them to keep from collapsing under suction. They should be available at your local FLAPS.

And there is industrial hose that is designed to withstand hi-viscosity liquids under suction without collapse.
partwerks
That's what I did when I re routed my radiator lines, I went up and down the isles at the auto parts store, till I found a suitable candidate, and cut off the useless part, to get the section that would work for the application needed.
bulitt
Jim Kelly used a 90degree. Think he got it off ebay???

IPB Image

yup-

IPB Image
Phoenix-MN
NAPA had an online catalog of their hoses. It listed them by size and had over-all dimensions along with a drawing showing the shape. I couldn't find my bookmark for it but a little searching you should be able to find it.
jimkelly
a better pic I just took.

computers4kids
Thanks all for your ideas. Jim, that's pretty much what I had in mind. The stainless tube that you purchased--seems to me to be the simplest, yet functional solution. I wasn't crazy about renegade's 90 degree fitting.

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to what types of metals can be welded to another. Is it possible to weld that 90 degree tube to the actual cast aluminum outlet that bolts to the water pump?

Those tubes can be purchased from Speedway http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Shop/Hoses-a...t-Pipes/12.html for $16.99
Thanks,
Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.