Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cork over cardboard?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HalfMoon
So, what's everyone's experience with CV joint gaskets?
How have these two gasket materials performed for us?
toolguy
Seems to me cork would never work as it would squish out when the CV bolts are torqued. . I use the gray dense fiber material with a real light coating of silicon. . no seeping. .
Mikey914
Actually they are a material like cardboard that absorbs grease to create a "plug" .
Got them here if you want them-
http://shop.914rubber.com/Porsche-914-CV-j...m?categoryId=-1
The cork could be used but I don't know why factory didn't.
-Mark
Dr Evil
I dont use any anymore. I assemble, clean thoroughly, and put RTV on the outside. That way there is no squish and the bolts dont come loose.
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 23 2014, 08:39 PM) *

I dont use any anymore. I assemble, clean thoroughly, and put RTV on the outside. That way there is no squish and the bolts dont come loose.

Odd you should mention that. I'm thinking of this bizarre idea a good friend of mine came up with to prevent loosening of the bolts...
He thought using slightly longer bolts and nyloks would be a cheap and effective alternative to wiring them. Crazy huh?

Btw, you mean RTV on the outside of the assembled unit and not squished together right?
914_teener
WTF.gif

Ah no.

Between the CV and the stub axle and output flange on the tranny.

There are a ton of threads on using the silly cone and new washers with the bolts when you put the CV and half shafts back together.
Dr Evil
RTV around the OUTSIDE of the joint of the CV and flange.
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 23 2014, 10:51 PM) *

RTV around the OUTSIDE of the joint of the CV and flange.

Naturally I'll defer to the Dr :-)
Like a bead at the seams or rather like a layered smear?
Btw, what ya think of the crazy nylok idea?
Chuckle.
Thanx Mike
D
Dr Evil
Nyloc is fine tongue.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Jan 23 2014, 05:58 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 23 2014, 08:39 PM) *

Odd you should mention that. I'm thinking of this bizarre idea a good friend of mine came up with to prevent loosening of the bolts...
He thought using slightly longer bolts and nyloks would be a cheap and effective alternative to wiring them. Crazy huh?

Btw, you mean RTV on the outside of the assembled unit and not squished together right?

Nyloc nuts would be fine, IF they had a flat surface on which to seat, and IF the bolts were long enough to allow the plastic to grip the bolts, and IF the threads were REALLY clean, and IF there were enough clearance. IMO, one of the only applications on a 914 where RTV can safely be used is in place of a CV joint gasket.

The Cap'n
ChrisFoley
I'll continue using the stock gaskets.
Never had a failure, never had the bolts loosen when I torqued them properly.
I don't consider RTV a suitable gasket substitute for such applications.
vw505
So your saying bolt the CVs on and smear the RTV on the out side of the joint and flang?
Dave_Darling
I know a number of people (some pro mechanics) who don't use any gaskets on the CV joints.

I use the stock cardboard-ish ones.

Nylock nuts might work to keep the bolts tight. Safety wire definitely works, and provides a good visual cue that they are torqued. Someone on the board I think still sells bolts drilled for safety wire.

I have heard of people using slightly longer bolts and think jam nuts on the back side of the flange. You have to be able to get a wrench onto the jam nut, of course. And you probably need to get the back of the flange spot-faced in that area so the jam nut sits flat.

The stock setup, when used correctly, seems to work pretty well for many of us.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.