Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WCR 2014
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
JRust
All it takes realistically are 3 people to coordinate the event. With 3 good people it is pretty easy to do. Doesn't take that much time when you have things spread between people. Even more is great but it takes a coordinated effort. So if you have an idea for WCR. Say I want to have it here along with a general idea of what will happen. Most of us could care less where it is. A good drive, Some scenic views on the drive maybe confused24.gif Possibly an autoX but not necessary, Most our time is spent BS ing in the parking lot anyway. It's just nice to have a good schedule of event's. Leave time for the parking lot's. A list of things to do for spouse's or those that may want to branch out for something from the group. It's nice to bring family along so there does need to be some kind of draw besides our 914's. Shopping or just something plain cool. Hell I still want to do a repeat of Medford but we just had it in Oregon. So pick a place & a time. Hopefully it won't be the same as Porsche Parade in Monterey. I think it will affect our numbers if it is. I plan to go to parade this year for the first time
sgetsiv
I am happy to help organize. An official committee of at least 3 people should be formed and then we can set up a conference call to discuss options for locations and dates.
biosurfer1
How does May 15-18 work for everyone? Weekend before Memorial Day so it should be slow and snow should be gone by then, unless we have "opposite season" like this winter has been so far.

By the way, I will be in Tahoe this next Saturday and can check out places if needed.
ConeDodger
Steve and Brett, if that's a firm commitment to plan and execute this years WCR, PM me or Mark and I'll give you access to the already formed planning forum. Brett might a
Ready have access??
wes
I woud be happy to help out in any way that I can.
Mikey914
Happy to help anyway I can too. Whoever steps up gets to pick the time and place as they will be responsible to get it together. In all reality, it works best if it's in that person's "backyard", to help get it put together, but wouldn't have to be.

just my .02
boxstr
Hot August Nights in Reno and lake Tahoe is a blast.
Craig at CAMP
hot_shoe914
I say let Jamie plan it since he thinks it is so easy. I have headed up 3 of the MUSR events and I'm here to tell you it is not that easy. I was fortunate enough to have 4 or 5 people assisting that really made it work. Definitely needs to have people to help out and all must stay in touch with each other, even then, it is a hard, thankless job.

Shoe
beerchug.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(sgetsiv @ Feb 2 2014, 10:16 AM) *

I am happy to help organize. An official committee of at least 3 people should be formed and then we can set up a conference call to discuss options for locations and dates.

Those few of you who said you would help out, PM sgetsiv for the planning forum password.
rhodyguy
post a "where would you attend if...?" poll thread.
JRust
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Feb 2 2014, 03:12 PM) *

I say let Jamie plan it since he thinks it is so easy. I have headed up 3 of the MUSR events and I'm here to tell you it is not that easy. I was fortunate enough to have 4 or 5 people assisting that really made it work. Definitely needs to have people to help out and all must stay in touch with each other, even then, it is a hard, thankless job.

I have done 1 WCR Don. IT really wasn't that hard but there were 3 of us very involved. Drew was a straight up stud & our guy in town. He really made it pretty easy. I did not say it is no work. I'm just saying it is very doable with a little help. Best of luck to those this year planning. I'll do another down the road. Possibly next year
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 3 2014, 07:16 AM) *

post a "where would you attend if...?" poll thread.

No. Too late for that and too hard to please everyone.

WCR has never failed to draw less than 30 cars and more registered participants without catering to everyone's desires. Too hard to plan if you just open it up to free-association. "Let's have it in Medford, we have never done one in Salinas, I think there should be clowns, will there be track time?" All that is just distracting noise to the planners.

If people want input as to where it should be or hwat activities should be done, get on the committee and help plan it.

Mark and I will step back and let the people who stepped up go at it, we won't let it die though. If significant progress isn't made, we will jump back in. In which case it will be in South Lake in May at Harvey's...

Mark and I have planned and executed three of these. They were all fun and successful. One thing we have learned is that you can't do this by having a poll. Way too many opinions. Organizers have to be fairly local. What if I decide to plan WCR and the poll says it should be in Oceanside? It can't be done that way.

There is a pathway to plan these events. Pick a team, pick a spot, pick the dates, then flesh out the event details. People who aren't planning the event aren't being helpful by making suggestions. Now watch, after I post this someone will suggest that we should... blink.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 3 2014, 07:28 AM) *

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Feb 2 2014, 03:12 PM) *

I have done 1 WCR Don. IT really wasn't that hard but there were 3 of us very involved. Drew was a straight up stud & our guy in town. He really made it pretty easy. I did not say it is no work. I'm just saying it is very doable with a little help. Best of luck to those this year planning. I'll do another down the road. Possibly next year

agree.gif with the right team and delegation of tasks, this isn't bad at all...
JeffBowlsby
OK, I'll step on this land mine wink.gif

I led up the first one in 2004, with gracious and invaluable help from several others, we had 75 cars that year, including introduction of Ricks Alien. I don't have the reources to lead up the WCR planning this year, although I really wanted to, given it is 2014 - the 40th anniversay of the 1974 LE cars. I will do my best to assist as I am able though. OkteenerFest (East Coast) http://okteenerfest.com/ in October will be also featuring the 1974 LE cars FWIW...it would be great if we could have a bi-coastal shootout to see who can attract the most 1974 and especially LE cars to each event. They have a good number of LE cars in the East so it will not be an easy competition.

My primary suggestion would be to piggyback onto another event if possible for mutual benefit and to generate the most excitement and turnout. If it were me, I would look seriously at the Werks Reunion in Monterey in August - its a Friday-only event, then the WCR could be that weekend. Its location could attrract attendees from all over - many 914 owners will be there already.
wes
good thoughts!
rhodyguy
please everyone? WTF.gif where did that come from? until the steering committee determines a location and the event dates people can't plan for it. figure out the specifics and then folks can make up their minds. holding it on/near the nev/cal border is pretty convenient for you. just sayin'…..
wes
One thing if it was to be in Monterey rooms are pretty much reserved only and of course on that week very likely already booked.
Mikey914
Rob, may want to set a drop dead date say Feb 14th? If someone steps up and leads, it's theirs.
If not Harvey's dates at your discretion. I would hate to see it come down to the wire and have to throw a bunch of work on you at the last minute. I did last years, and it was fun. I had plenty of help and it went pretty well. I also had 6 months to get it together.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 3 2014, 09:57 AM) *

please everyone? WTF.gif where did that come from? until the steering committee determines a location and the event dates people can't plan for it. figure out the specifics and then folks can make up their minds. holding it on/near the nev/cal border is pretty convenient for you. just sayin'…..

Kevin,
I don't think you understand. Until today, Mark and I were the 'steering committee.' We did determine a location and were very close to picking dates. We are happy to step back and let other people plan and execute this.(we don't have time, but no one else stepped up) Several people have stepped up in this thread and said that they would help. So far, only Steve has posted in the planning forum. So, there is no 'steering committee.' Unless you know of one I don't? If people want to plan it they can pick the location. If you don't like the location they pick - don't come. Either you are in on the planning (in the planning forum not here) or you are a potential participant. I doubt the SeaHawks coach was listening to the fans yell suggestions as to what to do. confused24.gif

As for it being pretty convenient for it to be near the California Nevada border, what do you expect? If this is left to Mark and I to plan, we will have it where we can control the variables. Wouldn't make much sense for me to plan an event in Seattle would it? I don't usually go to the events that aren't convenient to me either. I understand. But I also don't try to tell the people planning those events how they should do it and where they should have it. My choice is to go or not go. Last year the event was in the Dalles(?). I knew I couldn't go because I had to go to the Philippines. No choice. I still supported the event by registering and paying. I didn't try to get Mark Whitesell to change the dates so I could go, I didn't try to get him to move it to Reno so it would be closer to me.

Once again, thank you to those of you who have stepped up and said you would help. Contact Steve by PM and he will tell you the password to the Planning Forum so you can have input.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 3 2014, 10:22 AM) *

Rob, may want to set a drop dead date say Feb 14th? If someone steps up and leads, it's theirs.
If not Harvey's dates at your discretion. I would hate to see it come down to the wire and have to throw a bunch of work on you at the last minute. I did last years, and it was fun. I had plenty of help and it went pretty well. I also had 6 months to get it together.

Thanks Mark. I have a drop-dead date in mind. But I wouldn't impose that unilaterally. I'll talk to McMark about it.

There are good people, capable people saying they want to help. What needs to happen is for them to get together in the planning forum where they don't have all this 'noise' going on. I will be happy with whatever they decide. I am sure McMark will too. We just can't and won't allow the event to die.
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 3 2014, 10:30 AM) *

We just can't and won't allow the event to die.

first.gif beerchug.gif
JRust
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 3 2014, 10:30 AM) *

There are good people, capable people saying they want to help. What needs to happen is for them to get together in the planning forum where they don't have all this 'noise' going on. I will be happy with whatever they decide. I am sure McMark will too. We just can't and won't allow the event to die.

This would be why you just need a group of guys to step up & say they will do it. Rob & Mark were really doing it by default as nobody stepped up. Whoever plans it will most likely have it somewhere close to them. Or at least to one of them. It only makes sense as there is plenty to do in whatever location they decide on. It won't be planned on the open forum as you get way to many people chiming in with ideas & dates. Those who plan get the benefit of setting it up how they want. The rest of us get to come & enjoy it piratenanner.gif . If you come to WCR & don't like the way it was done sad.gif . Simple fix! You can plan it the next year. Just step up to the ball & say I WILL PLAN NEXT YEARS cheer.gif
sgetsiv
Please PM me if you want to be on the organizing committee. The sooner the better so we can get organized. Thank you.

Steve Getsiv
JRust
AS a matter of fact!

I WILL PLAN ON SETTING UP WCR 2015 (with help of course. Now accepting applications for volunteer work wink.gif ). It will be in Medford Oregon & be damn near carbon copy of the last time we had it there. Unless someone else steps up & plans it somewhere else evilgrin.gif
McMark
smilie_pokal.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 3 2014, 01:07 PM) *

AS a matter of fact!

I WILL PLAN ON SETTING UP WCR 2015 (with help of course. Now accepting applications for volunteer work wink.gif ). It will be in Medford Oregon & be damn near carbon copy of the last time we had it there. Unless someone else steps up & plans it somewhere else evilgrin.gif

I'll help, sent Steve a PM
jim_hoyland
The WCR at Medford was really great.
ben*james
I'd like to RSVP for the 2015 Medford event.
r3dplanet
Mr. Jrust,

I hereby agree to volunteer to assist you with WCR 2015, health permitting.

-marcus
sixnotfour
Where is Medford ???
KELTY360
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 4 2014, 03:59 PM) *

Where is Medford ???

About 2 hours south of Drain.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 4 2014, 03:59 PM) *

Where is Medford ???

Right next to White City... av-943.gif
sixnotfour
by Flush ???
ben*james
Very close to wonderfully artistic Ashland. My wifey goes often to the Shakespeare festival.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(ben*james @ Feb 5 2014, 05:58 PM) *

Very close to wonderfully artistic Ashland. My wifey goes often to the Shakespeare festival.

Ashland would be fantastic ! Instead of hanging out in a parking lot with a keg, we could take in King Lear. smile.gif
jcd914
This used to be a useful hread about planning WCR 2014 and now it has turned in to comic musings about WCR 2015. confused24.gif

Is anyone going to jump in and help Steve Getsiv with planning WCR 2014?
Therre were sever\ral member that spoke up about what we shouldor should not be doing for WCR 2014.

Steve stepped up and said he would spearhead the planning. cheer.gif smilie_pokal.gif cheer.gif

Now he just needs some help.

Jim
JStroud
Fear not, some of us have stepped up, there will be a WCR 2014, it will be great, and will not be planned here. lol-2.gif

Soooo go ahead trash this thread all you want...we will be planning elsewhere and will start a new thread when details are worked out.

Carry on....

Jeff
ConeDodger
Guys, go to it. Meet Steve in the planning forum and put it together. cheer.gif
ben*james
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 5 2014, 07:26 PM) *

Second that.

bootyshake.gif now let's get back to Medford 2015 stirthepot.gif
jcd914
QUOTE(ben*james @ Feb 5 2014, 07:30 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 5 2014, 07:26 PM) *

Second that.

bootyshake.gif now let's get back to Medford 2015 stirthepot.gif

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

I loved the event in Medford (white city) and look forward to going again beerchug.gif beerchug.gif

I had been to the planning form and there was not much going on there yet.

Jim
JStroud
Keep checking.....any day now it will be quite the read. happy11.gif

Jeff
sgetsiv
The first WCR 2014 Planning Meeting will be held next week. We've got a couple spots left on the committee so if anyone else wants to step up please PM me right away.

Stay tuned. We'll start a new thread once we have firmed up the place, dates and schedule of events.

Steve
rhodyguy
when you're near drain and one of your tires blow, and your spare has no air, you're pretty much fuched. btdt. carry a full spare.
JStroud
OK, those of you that said you would help need to start showing up in the planning thread.

So far only Steve and myself, with the old faithfuls standing by.......come on people...its getting kinda lonely in there. We need to make this happen!

If you don't know how to get in PM Steve, myself, Rob, Jim, Brett, or McMark for access.

Jeff
RoadGlue
PM'd Steve. Late to the game, but happy to help again.

It was great having the parking lot last time around. Cold, but it gave everyone a good place to commune, work on their cars, etc.

I MIGHT even have a running teener again by then. blink.gif
ConeDodger
Either way, it wouldn't be the same without you Randy...

Still, hope you do get it running! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.