Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WCR 2014
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
sportlicherFahrer
Did a search and found nothing... confused24.gif
McMark
I've been thinking we might redo Tahoe, but if somebody else wants to step up and plan that would be fantastic.
Mikey914
Somewhere central would be great. I'd be willing to go further south. Seems like the LA guys have had to drive a long way. Maybe somewhere between LA and SFO, should have a good draw.

Remember if you do step up you can always pull in a few buddies to help out. I got help from no less than 6 other members.

r3dplanet
I'm game wherever we end up this year. My car actually drives now so I won't have to crash the event with my BMW motorcycle like 2013. *sigh*

Have we ever been to the Four Corners / NW New Mexico area? Where all those amazing Anasazi ruins are? Or is it usually more coastal?

-marcus
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 31 2014, 10:20 AM) *
Somewhere central would be great ... Maybe somewhere between LA and SFO

Between SFO and LA is not exactly "central" to the west coast... biggrin.gif

Tahoe was nice idea.gif
MartyYeoman
first.gif
Rand
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 31 2014, 12:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 31 2014, 10:20 AM) *
Somewhere central would be great ... Maybe somewhere between LA and SFO

Between SFO and LA is not exactly "central" to the west coast... biggrin.gif

Tahoe was nice idea.gif

I'd have to agree. That damn west coast is pretty tall. Tahoe is south of central, but not far from it. Definitely more central than between LA and SFO. We did that recently... It was great to be at Laguna Seca and tour Canepa.
ejm
QUOTE(r3dplanet @ Jan 31 2014, 01:54 PM) *

Have we ever been to the Four Corners / NW New Mexico area? Where all those amazing Anasazi ruins are? -marcus

Yes.. but it's called "Red Rocks" biggrin.gif
Andyrew
Tahoe was certainly nice. I'd redo that one in a heartbeat!
jim_hoyland
How about Cambria ? It's been the site of several 356 get-togethers where North and South could meet up. It's located right on Highway 1 just south of Big Sur and Monterey.

Tahoe was a great location for that WCR, we were lucky to schedule that one between the Winter ski season and the summer camping season. In any case, now is the time to plan so we can get time off
CptTripps
Can't wait to get this dialed in. Now, I just need to finish the car.
mstein95
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 31 2014, 11:29 AM) *

Tahoe was certainly nice. I'd redo that one in a heartbeat!

Ditto smilie_pokal.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jan 31 2014, 11:44 AM) *

How about Cambria ? It's been the site of several 356 get-togethers where North and South could meet up. It's located right on Highway 1 just south of Big Sur and Monterey.

Teener owners couldn't lift their pinky high enough for that one.
biosurfer1
QUOTE(Rand @ Jan 31 2014, 12:10 PM) *

That damn west coast is pretty tall. Tahoe is south of central, but not far from it. Definitely more central than between LA and SFO.

And more west than LA....that's a fun fact I just learned not long ago. Lake Tahoe is further west than LA. Check out a map if you don't believe me!

I'm always in for a Tahoe WCR but I try to attend regardless
Trekkor
If it ends up in Nor Cal, I can host the a/x event at Sonoma Raceway along with a parade lap session on the road course.

Available dates are:
May 31, Sept 20 and Nov 22
wes
sure hope my cars ready,,still in line hint hint!
Chris Pincetich
there was some rambling about how PCA Parade in Monterey 2014 could make a good launch point for WCR....just sayin beerchug.gif
ConeDodger
Still waiting to hear those words 'I'll do it.' evilgrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 31 2014, 02:19 PM) *

I think you need a pastor for that ... laugh.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 31 2014, 02:44 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 31 2014, 02:19 PM) *

I think you need a pastor for that ... laugh.gif

av-943.gif
rick 918-S
Ya, I thought it was going to be during parade.
r3dplanet
Hey, that's my baby! Easily the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned.

QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Jan 31 2014, 11:05 AM) *

first.gif

McMark
Yeah as much as I love and agree with the suggestions, unless someone else steps up, Rob and I will run it again which means Tahoe. Neither of us really has time to break new ground on a new location, so a Tahoe redo is what we'll do. It absolutely simple to replan that. Basically pick a date and run with it. wink.gif
jim_hoyland
Any possibility of having the HQ somewhere other than So Lake Tahoe. As we drove around the lake last time it seemed there were other accommodations that could work...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jan 31 2014, 06:01 PM) *

Any possibility of having the HQ somewhere other than So Lake Tahoe. As we drove around the lake last time it seemed there were other accommodations that could work...

Jim,
Good question. There are other possibilities. Nothing that is as plug-and-play as Harvey's though. I would love Incline Village as it is practically home. Problem is the Hyatt is the only show in town and they have no real off season. The rooms are $160 a night. I have thought of a couple other locations. North Star at Tahoe which is in fact, a good 10 miles off the lake. Squaw Valley which is again, a good 10 miles off the lake. There are others but nothing as accommodating as South Lake.

As Mark said, if someone doesn't step up, it will be Tahoe and it will be South Lake. I work 72 hours a week (not counting Red Cross volunteer time) and Mark probably more. It would likely be like but not exactly like the last event up there. Poker run instead of photo rally, different drive. Z wouldn't make a guest appearance as he no longer lives in the area.

As for the idea of having it during Parade, I want to attend Parade. I don't need the distraction of running a parallel event.

These events are not that hard to run. Pick a place, form a team, pick the dates, plan the fun... Simple rule is don't promise any numbers to hotels. Tahoe is great but if you guys want something else, step up...
jim_hoyland
I hear ya; I was thinking of one of those 50's looking motels rather than a major resort type.
Trekkor
There was a Groupon deal I just scored for Grand Sierra in Reno.

Two nights, two breakfast buffets for two, $59.

Deals can be had.
CptTripps
I'll happily attend and support whatever/wherever. I organize 2-3 events a year and they always end up more work than I remember. Thank-less job.

Can't wait to see what/where/when.
biosurfer1
Harvey's was easy because they didn't require any certain number of rooms to have the group rate, plus they gave us the back parking lot with security, who ended up just sitting out there most of the time anyways.

I don't mind working on the hotel arrangements again, I'm pretty sure I have McMark's credit card number around here somewhere biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Trekkor @ Jan 31 2014, 08:29 PM) *

Deals can be had.

Reno's not Tahoe though. Grand Sierra is 45 miles from Tahoe. Cool idea though.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jan 31 2014, 07:47 PM) *

I hear ya; I was thinking of one of those 50's looking motels rather than a major resort type.

Hmmm.... Problem is, we pulled 35 or 40 people, maybe more. Not sure we can fit that many in one of the little hotels...
JeffBowlsby
Check out Granlibakken Resort, North Shore near Tahoe City. They have accommodations conducive to a group like this and last I recall are not too pricey.
sgetsiv
Do we have a designated weekend yet? Really looking forward to attending again...
jim_hoyland
This place is in Tahoe City as we'll and a lot cheaper

Stevenson's Inn
N Lake Blvd Kings Beach CA 1-866-599-6674
$80
Best Price Guarantee

JRust
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Jan 31 2014, 02:00 PM) *

there was some rambling about how PCA Parade in Monterey 2014 could make a good launch point for WCR....just sayin beerchug.gif

Yeah I had mentioned maybe trying to do them together? I just can't see myself making WCR if it is close to the time of the Parade. Parade will be one spendy trip for me. So financially not sure I could swing another event so close. Of course WCR is usually a pretty reasonable weekend idea.gif . I'm probably game for Tahoe if it isn't to close date wise to Parade. Maybe a summer date?
Mikey914
I like that thought.
PanelBilly
I'm working to get my car there this year.
biosurfer1
Usually WCR is in late April/May to try an avoid summer craziness. Hopefully we can continue that
McMark
Anyone who wants to take over a portion of the planning is welcome to. I know it sounds like a broken record, but Jim, if you can find, contact and work with another hotel, then Rob or I can make a run to check it out in person for 'final' approval. I agree that a smaller hotel would be better, but I'm not able to make phone calls and arrangements.
jim_hoyland
I can do some shopping; but the dates gotta be firmed up 1st. I agree that we have a narrow window" The last Tahoe WCR was held right after ski season ended and before the summer madness.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 1 2014, 07:34 PM) *

Anyone who wants to take over a portion of the planning is welcome to. I know it sounds like a broken record, but Jim, if you can find, contact and work with another hotel, then Rob or I can make a run to check it out in person for 'final' approval. I agree that a smaller hotel would be better, but I'm not able to make phone calls and arrangements.

agree.gif It's a 30 minute drive to the lake for me but finding that 30 minutes is pretty tough. I hear the concerns, but if this is all on Mark and me, it's at Harvey's...
Mikey914
Sounds pretty straight forward. If you want to step up and organize great, If not Harveys'
So, give it a week, if no one wants to step up. Just give us a date.
palmer_md
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Feb 1 2014, 07:47 PM) *

I can do some shopping; but the dates gotta be firmed up 1st. I agree that we have a narrow window" The last Tahoe WCR was held right after ski season ended and before the summer madness.

well this year ski season has ended and summer has arrived just after new year. haha.
Rand
QUOTE(palmer_md @ Feb 2 2014, 12:06 AM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Feb 1 2014, 07:47 PM) *

well this year ski season has ended and summer has arrived just after new year. haha.

I hear that. This season is baffling, but it could change tomorrow.
McMark and Conedodger, I don't have monetary offers this year, but I will help where I can.
rhodyguy
is there a ski season in california this year?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 2 2014, 05:03 AM) *

is there a ski season in california this year?

My assistant at work skis just about every day he's off. His wife and kids, every single day. Yes there is a ski season this year. They just got two feet on Thursday...
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Trekkor @ Jan 31 2014, 08:29 PM) *

Deals can be had.

How about using Reno as the HQ and make One of the drives to the Lake ?
JStroud
Seems like it should be somewhere you would want to go on vacation, or somewhere new, definitely not Reno, not exactly a vacation spot unless you gamble, wouldn't want it in Sacramento or Vallejo or....boring towns

Everyone's talking central coast, or Tahoe, both have been done. Why not somewhere new, doesn't have to be a big town....Just near fun drives, like Sonora, Sonora pass nearby, pinecrest lake, Yosemite. I'm sure there are many others.

Maybe this should be discussed at WCR each year so we aren't trying to figure out what we're doing a couple months ahead.

And I'll put my time behind my ideas....I'd be willing to help however I can.

Just my thought....feel free to criticize all you want.

Jeff
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(JStroud @ Feb 2 2014, 07:42 AM) *

Seems like it should be somewhere you would want to go on vacation, or somewhere new, definitely not Reno, not exactly a vacation spot unless you gamble.

Everyone's talking central coast, or Tahoe, both have been done. Why not somewhere new, doesn't have to be a big town....Just near fun drives, like Sonora, Sonora pass nearby, pinecrest lake, Yosemite.

Maybe this should be discussed at WCR each year so we aren't trying to figure out what we're doing a couple months ahead.

And I'll put my time behind my ideas....I'd be willing to help however I can.

Just my thought....feel free to criticize all you want.

Jeff

Good thought ! There are a lot of scenic places in California, Nevada, Oregon that could work.
ConeDodger
Reminding you all once again that all this free association about what we 'could' do is pointless unless someone steps up and plans it. Mark and I will not let the tradition die, but we just don't have time to change from what we have already outlined...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.