Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Body Work Repair Advice Needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jkb944t
I am getting ready to install a used sail panel and lower fender section. It is in great shape except for some internal rust from the foam weather stripping. There are only a few minor holes that extent to the outside of the panel.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I need suggestions on repairing this before I install it. Should I weld or braze the minor pin holes shut and then use a fiberglass body filler to fill the rest of the imperfections?

The panel will then fill in the hole in the side of my 914 GT conversion project.

Click to view attachment

Jeff B
OllieG
Personally I would weld the pinholes on a 'low heat' from the inside of the panel. You could lightly grind them smooth on the outside with a flap disc.

I would also recommend you properly prime the panel before you apply any filler to prevent moisture getting to the bare metal.
scotty b
weld them up using a piece of copper as a backing plate. That will absorb a lot of the heat and help to prevent a blow through
rick 918-S
QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 4 2014, 07:54 AM) *

weld them up using a piece of copper as a backing plate. That will absorb a lot of the heat and help to prevent a blow through

agree.gif Copper on the outside, zap it then hit it with air lightly as it cools. You may only need to lightly sand the outer surface if you take your time. use an epoxy type primer on the inside. Don't worry about the small pits on the inside. Don't fill them with body filler. This area is highly susceptible to water. Filler will absorb it like a sponge and all your work will be a waste. Once the panel is reinstalled use a urethane seam sealer to hold out the moister.
jkb944t
Thanks for the advice everyone! That is exactly what I was looking for.

Jeff B
Eric_Shea
I was going to say exactly what Rick and Scotty said but they stole my words!! mad.gif

wink.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 5 2014, 06:59 AM) *

I was going to say exactly what Rick and Scotty said but they stole my words!! mad.gif

wink.gif

yappin.gif yappin.gif yappin.gif yappin.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 5 2014, 09:39 AM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 5 2014, 06:59 AM) *

wink.gif

yappin.gif yappin.gif yappin.gif yappin.gif

laugh.gif
r_towle
Copper, yes, copper, always copper on Wednesday...only copper
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.