Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedometer works odometer does not
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wndsnd
Any ideas what might be up here? Obviously the cable is turning. Is there a little plastic gear inside the guage that connects the two that could be broken?

Thanks
John
r_towle
Yup, it's a gear on a shaft that is no longer spinning the shaft.

The fix is to open the gauge and re pinch the gear onto the shaft.

I believe there is a detailed tech article on pelican parts that describes the repair process with pictures
wndsnd
Thanks but that really looks like a pain in the ass.

Probably much easier to swap out the entire guage or just ignore it.
r_towle
Nah, it's a quiet evening.
The hardest part is opening the gauge.
Once you do that, you can get in there with a small set of needle nose pliers and crush the shoulder...it think I used pliers and small (really small) wire cutters and crushed the shoulder tight.....worked fine.

Use an assortment of screw drivers to peal back the lip of the gauge face.
You will never see that part of the gauge.
Put the gauge on a towel to keep from scratching it.

It's an evening in front of the TV, work on a cookie sheet...

toolguy
there is a plastic gear inside off the speedo that works the odometer. . my experience is it starts slipping on the shaft. . not a hard fix to do but you have to pull the case off the speedo assemble. . 2 screws in the rear after you pry off the bezel. . . .
or like you said ignore it or buy a different speedo [ and guess how long that one will last] as this is a common issue. .
r_towle
I did not take anything apart from what I recall...
Once I saw it, I just got in there with the tools and crushed the shoulder till it stopped spinning...

Keep track of the mileage before you start....it get moved around while you do the work....then you can reset it to the right mileage..there is a stopper in there, but you can see how it works when you are looking at it.

r_towle
QUOTE(toolguy @ Feb 4 2014, 11:08 PM) *

there is a plastic gear inside off the speedo that works the odometer. . my experience is it starts slipping on the shaft. . not a hard fix to do but you have to pull the case off the speedo assemble. . 2 screws in the rear after you pry off the bezel. . . .
or like you said ignore it or buy a different speedo [ and guess how long that one will last] as this is a common issue. .

It's a pot metal gear.....so it can be crushed to fit.
timothy_nd28
I repaired a few by injecting some locktite with a syringe on this gear
r_towle
John, dude....seriously...

Send you gauges to Tim and have him add the LED lights for you....and fix that gear.

You will love the gauges.
914itis
I agree

Send it to Tim. The pelican article is not precise . I broke my first gauge before figuring it out.
It's a bit confusing.
euro911
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Feb 4 2014, 09:20 PM) *
Did you do that to mine when you had it open? poke.gif

The first one I repaired, I scribed some splines onto the shaft and pressed the gear back on.
timothy_nd28
QUOTE(euro911 @ Feb 4 2014, 09:04 PM) *

QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Feb 4 2014, 09:20 PM) *
Did you do that to mine when you had it open? poke.gif

The first one I repaired, I scribed some splines onto the shaft and pressed the gear back on.

I don't remember hide.gif I do remember that you were my first customer for the led mod biggrin.gif Speaking of which, did you ever install those gauges yet? poke.gif
euro911
um, busted.gif ...

Hey, I did find the wiring harness a couple of weeks ago laugh.gif
Mblizzard
I have to say sending my gauges to Tim was the best thing I ever did! He fixed my odometer, changed out the crappy plastic lenses, repainted the needles, and installed the LED lights. Could I have figured out the odometer repair? Sure with lots of time and effort. Tim did so much more than I ever could have in a very short amount of time. I am cheap and it was hard to shell out the bucks but man it is worth the investment.
chads74
I know its a bit off topic, but what causes the speedometer neddle to bounce? Mine starts at about 60 mph and bounces like crazy till 90 mph.

BTW thanks for the info on the odometer I have been meaning to do that for some time.
Dave_Darling
Often, it's a speedo cable that is starting to die.

--DD
bdstone914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 4 2014, 09:20 PM) *

Yup, it's a gear on a shaft that is no longer spinning the shaft.

The fix is to open the gauge and re pinch the gear onto the shaft.

I believe there is a detailed tech article on pelican parts that describes the repair process with pictures

I read the article and can not see how it can be done as described. It says do not remove the face plate of needle but the gear and digit wheels can not come out with it on. No clearance to get in there to pinch it while it is together. Am I missing something ?

r_towle
Look for this pot metal gear.
This is the one that was loose on both of the ones I fixed.

The picture you posted is the plastic gear...not the pot metal one that spins on the shaft all by itself, if it's loose.
Dave_Darling
Here's another take on the odometer repair thing, from back in the 90s...

https://web.archive.org/web/19970606030646/...che/speedo.html

--DD
euro911
This is the gear

Click to view attachment
Bob L.
QUOTE(euro911 @ Feb 7 2014, 12:02 AM) *

This is the gear

Click to view attachment

That's the one that is slipping.

I just fixed mine today. I taped the rollers together securely. Pulled the outer gear by prying under the spacer carefully. My solution was to pound the end of the shaft to oval it out a little bit. I used the thin side of a bodywork dolly as an anvil and a few hammer taps to re-seat it in the inner gear but it works nice.
euro911
thumb3d.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.