Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Show me your in dash radio installs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wndsnd
I'm craving better sounds.

Thanks
John
wndsnd
Oops posted in wrong area, have mercy on me.

saigon71
I wanted some better tunes as well, but didn't want anything to "flashy" in my teener. I don't need top notch sound...just wanted a decent system without a lot of modifications to my otherwise stock car. While not installed yet, I went with this receiver:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_023HSI220B/Bl...nki-220-BT.html

These speakers:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DXI651/Pol...dio-DXi651.html

And 6 1/2" speaker panels from here:

http://www.914ap.com/products.php
wndsnd
Will there only be a speaker in passenger well?
TheCabinetmaker
No picks, but I just went thru this. I had no tunes but exhaust for over a year. Finally got tired of it. Installed a new Pioneer receiver, 1000w Boss amp and 10 cd changer in the front trunk, 250w kicker 6X8's in the oem pods. I just ordered an 8" sub for the front of the console. Sounds great even at hiway speeds. Less than 300 bucks total. happy happy
saigon71
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Feb 6 2014, 11:16 AM) *

Will there only be a speaker in passenger well?

No...6 1/2" speakers on both sides where the cowl meets the front firewall. Those speaker panels allow you to upgrade from smaller factory speakers to 6 1/2" while using the factory speaker location.
LotusJoe
JVC NX-5000

IPB Image

IPB Image
wndsnd
QUOTE(LotusJoe @ Feb 6 2014, 03:00 PM) *

JVC NX-5000

IPB Image

IPB Image

That looks cool. Is the screen big enough to see and do you think it would fit in dash?
LotusJoe
I will fit in the dash. It is a standard single DIN. Probably will require enlarging the dash if you have not had a single DIN radio before. there is enough depth behind the dash so that should not be an issue.
orthobiz
I'm considering an upgrade this summer, also. Back in the day, I had a Nakamichi head unit, no amplifier, with a cassette deck (hey, it was the 80's). It fed a Harman Kardon power amp that supplied a pair of Dahlquist car speakers. It was great, but the speakers need a minimum of 30 watts RMS, better with a little more.

I have bought a vintage pair of the Dahlquists, they fit easily into the regular speaker pod area with minor modification. But I can't seem to locate a new head unit, or "dead head" as they are sometimes called. Everything seems to have a four channel amp built in.

These speakers need a fair amount of power and I'm concerned that the 42x4 or 50x4 "peak" wattage units that are the norm for today will not supply enough. For instance, a 50 watt peak unit could mean only 20 watt RMS. Can't believe they don't give the RMS ratings only!

So, who still sells a head unit without an amplifier?

Paul
orthobiz
QUOTE(LotusJoe @ Feb 7 2014, 06:56 PM) *

I will fit in the dash. It is a standard single DIN. Probably will require enlarging the dash if you have not had a single DIN radio before. there is enough depth behind the dash so that should not be an issue.

BTW Joe, that install looks great! Hope all is well with you!

Paul
Mike Bellis
If you do find something you like on Crutchfield, search the same model number on ebay and save money.

I just looked at a Kenwood KDC-655U. $149+ shipping on Crutchfield, $109+ free shipping on ebay. Both new in the box. Just found another on ebay for $97-free shipping...

Crutchfield is a good resource but expensive some times.
CptTripps
I do the same thing, but a different way.

Search Crutchfield for the best reviewed stuff. They are normally discontinued. Just got a JVC KW-NX7000 Nav system with Bluetooth for $250 shipped.

Crutchfield $229: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-kueVSpE1YUP/p...ker-KS65-2.html

Just got on eBay for $69: http://bit.ly/1o4PTWD

smilie_pokal.gif
wndsnd
How about this?

Click to view attachment

Bluetooth, and battery powered, good for 7 hours or can be hardwired.

Leave everything stock

Pair this with my smart phone, and add Pandora app.

Place on dash, or on console between seats.

John
wndsnd

Cover to Match Adriatic Blue Car!

Click to view attachment

piratenanner.gif
wndsnd
I am loving this little set up. Can't wait to try in the car. It has impressive big sound....
CptTripps
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Feb 8 2014, 08:48 PM) *

I am loving this little set up. Can't wait to try in the car. It has impressive big sound....

It'll never last. Going to be real wonky to use in a car.

I could be very wrong, but I've tried stuff like that in the past and it never works out.
wndsnd
Kill Joy ...

poke.gif

rocking nana.gif
CptTripps
Sorry. I just don't want you to get your hopes up. I have a Jawbone Jambox that I use every day. It'd never work in a car though.
ruby914
I just replaced the first 20 year old amp that I put in the door last year.
It had a loose connection. It may be from shutting the door but the amp is so close to the hing, I think an amp should be able to handle that with out too much problem.
Heat was another concern. If this one goes out maybe it is not a good place for the amp.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.