Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB: Fabricated -6 Headers and Heater Boxes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
earossi
Does anyone on this board fabricate or know of anyone that fabricates -6 headers with incorporated heater boxes? I am looking for a set of headers for a 3.2 Carerra motor. Tubing size should be 1-5/8". Headers should have a properly flanged heater box, preferably made from stainless.
bigkensteele
I know the answer to his question, but I want the same thing, damnit!!!
Mark Henry
I've been told the the B&B fit like stromberg.gif and throw less heat than a pile of stromberg.gif

What's you budget like?...or how bad do you want heat?

http://www.haywardandscott.com/porsche/914...exchangers.html

IPB Image
earossi
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 11 2014, 10:43 PM) *

I've been told the the B&B fit like stromberg.gif and throw less heat than a pile of stromberg.gif

What's you budget like?...or how bad do you want heat?

http://www.haywardandscott.com/porsche/914...exchangers.html

IPB Image

That would put the H&S heat exchangers at about $2500, which is way outside of any budget I would have. I believe that I can purchase Bursch headers for around $700. So, I was looking for someone that could fabricate heater boxes and infall them on the Bursch headers. I guess there is not enough demand to have anyone tool up for such a product.
rick 918-S
I could fabricate the heater boxes from stainless. I have a set of 914-6 heat exchangers to use as a basic design and to use to check clearance. Only problem is I have two cars ahead of anything else. I would not be available to take it on for 2-3 months. I'm only one guy.
ConeDodger
Mark might not know it yet (don't tell him), but he will be fabricating heater boxes for MSDS headers for me and Doug the guy who runs Trackmasters Racing... drooley.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 12 2014, 02:09 AM) *

Mark might not know it yet (don't tell him), but he will be fabricating heater boxes for MSDS headers for me and Doug the guy who runs Trackmasters Racing... drooley.gif

Rob - Let me know when that happens so a 3rd set might be made. I will probably use msds on my 3.2. Thanks
Mark Henry

I'm doing the same thing, Perry K will have a cow and tell us we're all going to die of CO poisoning. I'm going to run a CO detector just to be safe.
You can get little dot CO detectors for under $10 from Aircraft Spruce and they last 18 months.
Cairo94507
I have had my eye on the Hayward & Scott system for quite some time and would like to put those on my car. Has anyone actually got a pair they are running?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 12 2014, 07:32 AM) *

I'm doing the same thing, Perry K will have a cow and tell us we're all going to die of CO poisoning. I'm going to run a CO detector just to be safe.
You can get little dot CO detectors for under $10 from Aircraft Spruce and they last 18 months.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/categories/p...edetectors.html

In Canada:
http://www.aircraftspruce.ca/menus/ps/carb...ml?UCOUNTRY=CAN
JmuRiz
I'm glad others are looking for a solution...I'll keep my eye out for the MSDS header heater box version. I have those headers for my car too. Unfortunately mine have the ceramic coating, so that might not make as much heat transfer to the boxes.

I was always holding out hope SSI would make a 914/6 heat exchanger now that they are under new management, but no such luck.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 12 2014, 04:32 AM) *

Perhaps Perry would like to argue with Martin directly and tell him his headers leak?? confused24.gif

Mine are ceramic coated as well but I suspect they'll still produce enough heat to defrost the windows. rolleyes.gif
Mark Henry
WTF....using the kids machine , must have finger trouble.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 12 2014, 11:17 AM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 12 2014, 04:32 AM) *

Perhaps Perry would like to argue with Martin directly and tell him his headers leak?? confused24.gif

Mine are ceramic coated as well but I suspect they'll still produce enough heat to defrost the windows. rolleyes.gif

I think Perry's point is that they are not stainless and you could get a rust hole.
I'm going to try to build mine so that they can be taken apart and serviced once and a while. You also have to build them so that the box will not cut through the pipes, plus I do not want to weld onto the pipes.
I'm also going to run one of those cheap CO detectors as insurance.

My bet is the labour cost to figure this out all will be a lot higher than you expect. I'm imagining for a one (or two) off costs as high as the header itself or more.
BTW if it was a simple, no brainer, no liability job don't you think Marty would offer it? bye1.gif

I'll wait till I have a running engine in my car, no time now.
Mark Henry
DP
rick 918-S
So much about nothing. You wouldn't put a heater box on junk headers. If you run the flaps and the heater is off there is nothing coming through the ducts. When you turn the heater on the fan on there is pressure in the system. The pressure leaks out around the heater boxes at the pass through points blowing fresh air out around the pipes. If you install the heater system as Porsche did with a seal around the engine and pull air from the top of the engine bay as Porsche did you should have no worries.

I have seen 40 year old stainless heat exchangers with holes in the exhaust inside the clam shell covers. It even happens to them. Just be smart about it and don't let your car turn into crap.
bluhun
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 12 2014, 06:25 AM) *

I have had my eye on the Hayward & Scott system for quite some time and would like to put those on my car. Has anyone actually got a pair they are running?

I've been in contact with Hayward & Scott about buying a set for my 3.2 6-cylinder conversion car. I'm currently running the Billy Boat system and am very disappointed in the volume of air and the temperature of the air they deliver. If I go through with it I'll post a comparison of the performance of the two systems.
bigkensteele
I just bought a 2.7, so I am somewhat committed to the conversion now. However, I need heat, and I really don't want to rely on seat warmers and blow-dryer motors in the vents.

What I really, really want is to use Marty's MSDS headers, ceramic coated with a removable clamshell type exchanger housing. I will PAY for this solution!
Cairo94507
BluHun: I just sent you a PM.
mepstein
I was planning on MSDS to get the car running and then H&S later on when the reviews come in. I know one or 2 world members have bought H&S in the past but I'm not sure if they ever got them on their cars. I know the msds will fit perfectly.

Btw - Marty has responded to some random pm's from me from time to time. Truly someone I would buy from.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 13 2014, 10:20 AM) *

I was planning on MSDS to get the car running and then H&S later on when the reviews come in. I know one or 2 world members have bought H&S in the past but I'm not sure if they ever got them on their cars. I know the msds will fit perfectly.

Btw - Marty has responded to some random pm's from me from time to time. Truly someone I would buy from.

Marty even offered to send me the new laser etched manufacturers plates for mine and I got them 2nd hand. I didn't want to cost him the postage....
His headers are topnotch.

I'm going to see what I can do with my MSDS headers, I let peeps know, but it won't be till the summer at the earliest.
I'll see if I could made something to sell, (if it's feasible time and price wise) one thing going for me is Canadian law would make it very hard to sue me if you died of CO poisoning. biggrin.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 13 2014, 11:09 AM) *

Marty even offered to send me the new laser etched manufacturers plates for mine and I got them 2nd hand. I didn't want to cost him the postage....

I going to see what I can do with my MSDS headers, I let peeps know, but it won't be till the summer at the earliest.
I'll see if I could made something to sell, (if it's feasible time and price wise) one thing going for me is Canadian law would make it very hard to sue me if you died of CO poisoning. biggrin.gif

You won't have competition for the boxes from msds. Marty told me he will not make that product.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 13 2014, 11:13 AM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 13 2014, 11:09 AM) *

I going to see what I can do with my MSDS headers, I let peeps know, but it won't be till the summer at the earliest.

You won't have competition for the boxes from msds. Marty told me he will not make that product.

Yep I believe he has stated that before on one of these threads and I will have zero affiliation with him. I make no promises on this project other than I would share what I do.

BTW if you need heat now for sure find something else, I'll make no commitment to a time frame. My 2 projects, work and other commitments mean I won't even look at this till my car is done.... and I start freezing my ass off.
shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.