Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1974 1.8 or 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bajafreaks
The 74 I just bought doesn't have the original engine, how do I know if this car came with a 1.8 or 2.0 ??? vin#4742906720
billh1963
QUOTE(bajafreaks @ Feb 12 2014, 10:35 PM) *

The 74 I just bought doesn't have the original engine, how do I know if this car came with a 1.8 or 2.0 ??? vin#4742906720

COA
bigkensteele
Is it close to factory correct show level, or do you plan to take it there? If not, it probably doesn't matter much.
jcd914
Porsche did not make a list public that has a connection between engine and VIN. And the emission information label in 74 was on the engine fan housing. I have heard you can call Porsche and they can look up info but you may have had to order a COA first, I don't know.

You say it has a non original engine, how do you know? What is in it now, engine, FI, Carbs?

This is a long shot but depending in what has been done in the engine compartment you may find a clue. The 1.8 engine came with L-jet FI and they had a bracket for the Air Filter/Air Flow Meter that attached to the driver side inner long, the bracket would likely have left marks on the long if it had been there. Of course if the engine compartment has been repainted or something, probably not.

Are you wanting to restore to original?
Any year/size 914-4 engine can be put in any year 914-4, they are essentially plug & play.

Good luck
Jim
bajafreaks
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Feb 12 2014, 08:07 PM) *

Porsche did not make a list public that has a connection between engine and VIN. And the emission information label in 74 was on the engine fan housing. I have heard you can call Porsche and they can look up info but you may have had to order a COA first, I don't know.

You say it has a non original engine, how do you know? What is in it now, engine, FI, Carbs?

This is a long shot but depending in what has been done in the engine compartment you may find a clue. The 1.8 engine came with L-jet FI and they had a bracket for the Air Filter/Air Flow Meter that attached to the driver side inner long, the bracket would likely have left marks on the long if it had been there. Of course if the engine compartment has been repainted or something, probably not.

Are you wanting to restore to original?
Any year/size 914-4 engine can be put in any year 914-4, they are essentially plug & play.

Good luck
Jim

I was told by the seller that it had a bus engine in it so I looked up the engine id and its for 80-83 vanagon. It has carbs now.
I'll really just curious which engine the car came with and yes I do realize their interchangeable.
Cap'n Krusty
The engine you think you have is substantially different from other Type 4 based engines, and it's unlikely to be in your car. Let's see a picture of the top of the engine .........

The Cap'n
bajafreaks
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 12 2014, 08:36 PM) *

The engine you think you have is substantially different from other Type 4 based engines, and it's unlikely to be in your car. Let's see a picture of the top of the engine .........

The Cap'n

The number on the engine is CV0444076 and when I looked it up it stated 80-83 vanagon 2.0Click to view attachment
JFJ914
QUOTE(bajafreaks @ Feb 13 2014, 12:08 AM) *

The Cap'n

The number on the engine is CV0444076 and when I looked it up it stated 80-83 vanagon 2.0Click to view attachment

See the red rectangle on the drivers sidewall? Is the emissions sticker under the red paint? Try to clean the sticker carefully, I used brake cleaner, and see what it says.
Spoke
Didn't they put a 1.8 or 2.0 emblem on the rear of the car in '74? Is the emblem still there?

BTW, what's up with that carb linkage? I think I see 2 bars leading to the left and right and an eye hook on the right side. The one to the right might be the return spring.
bajafreaks
QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 13 2014, 08:09 AM) *

Didn't they put a 1.8 or 2.0 emblem on the rear of the car in '74? Is the emblem still there?

BTW, what's up with that carb linkage? I think I see 2 bars leading to the left and right and an eye hook on the right side. The one to the right might be the return spring.

The previous owner did some weird stuff the linkage is a little strange I would like to convert it back to F.I. it didn't come with the rear emblems. Apparently the engine was just freshly rebuilt but the car hasn't ran in 10 years. It has later model 75-76 heat exchangers, not sure which transmission yet. Just a mix/match of different year parts and pieces the guy has 3 914's and made one good one out of the 3.
I'm thinking I will try and get it running and take it from there, not sure if I'll leave the bus engine in it or try and find a 2.0. I've defiantly got some work ahead of me but that's okay that's why I bought it. I also got a bunch of extra parts with the deal which I will sell off for cash flow.
dlkawashima
Do you know if your car has its original gas tank? If so, what is the tire size indicated on the label (see below)? 165 HR 15 was spec'd for 2-liter cars.

Click to view attachment
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(John Jentz @ Feb 13 2014, 07:34 AM) *

The Cap'n

See the red rectangle on the drivers sidewall? Is the emissions sticker under the red paint? Try to clean the sticker carefully, I used brake cleaner, and see what it says.

It is, indeed, a Vanagon motor. Prone to meltdowns when the EGR system is disabled. In this case, removed. Probably be OK with carbs, probably not with FI. How do you add oil? Vanagons used a lower block mounted oil filler unit, which would interfere with the alternator and the tin. I see they solved the dipstick issue with that contraption sticking way up in the middle of the engine compartment. Interesting ...................

The Cap'n
bajafreaks
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Feb 13 2014, 10:18 AM) *

Do you know if your car has its original gas tank? If so, what is the tire size indicated on the label (see below)? 165 HR 15 was spec'd for 2-liter cars.

Click to view attachment

Just went out and looked it says 165 R 15 so I guess its safe to assume it came with a 2.0 ?
bajafreaks
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 13 2014, 10:44 AM) *

QUOTE(John Jentz @ Feb 13 2014, 07:34 AM) *

The Cap'n

It is, indeed, a Vanagon motor. Prone to meltdowns when the EGR system is disabled. In this case, removed. Probably be OK with carbs, probably not with FI. How do you add oil? Vanagons used a lower block mounted oil filler unit, which would interfere with the alternator and the tin. I see they solved the dipstick issue with that contraption sticking way up in the middle of the engine compartment. Interesting ...................

The Cap'n

If you notice there is a rubber line about 1/2" in diameter near the coil, its screwed into to the top of the engine case I'm assuming that's where you could add oil...definitely strange. The more I investigate the more I think Id be better off trying to find the correct engine.
Dave_Darling
I believe that the 1.8s also came with that size. The 155s were only used on the "base model" 1.7s in the first couple of years, running on 4.5" steel wheels.

The over-painted sticker in the engine bay is the best way to tell without sending the VIN off to Porsche. (With some money, of course!)

The "1.8" and "2.0" emblems were used in 74, but they are trivially easy to remove and replace. I know more than one person who bought a 74 "2.0" that had a stock 1.8 liter motor...

--DD
bajafreaks

[/quote]

It reads engine size 120 CID
JeffBowlsby
120 CID = 2-oh!
dlkawashima
QUOTE(bajafreaks @ Feb 13 2014, 01:26 PM) *

In that case, your tire size should be 165 HR 15, like on the image below. If it says 165 SR 15, that would indicate the 1.8-liter.

2-liter:
Click to view attachment

1.7, 1.8-liter:
Click to view attachment
bajafreaks
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Feb 13 2014, 04:49 PM) *

QUOTE(bajafreaks @ Feb 13 2014, 01:26 PM) *

In that case, your tire size should be 165 HR 15, like on the image below. If it says 165 SR 15, that would indicate the 1.8-liter.

2-liter:
Click to view attachment

1.7, 1.8-liter:
Click to view attachment

its says 165 HR 15 so I guess we now can say its a 2.0 car.
Thanks for the help guys.
914_7T3
Great info on the expansion tank decals here. I am having Car Bone reproduce the HR decal for 2.0 Liter if anyone is looking for one. @bbrock

Also having them look into recreating the 1973 2.0 emmission decals in the engine bay off of these 2 examples

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

beerchug.gif
914Sixer
I thin AA has reproduced your labels already.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Aug 13 2019, 02:28 PM) *

Great info on the expansion tank decals here. I am having Car Bone reproduce the HR decal for 2.0 Liter if anyone is looking for one. @bbrock

Also having them look into recreating the 1973 2.0 emmission decals in the engine bay off of these 2 examples

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

beerchug.gif

I'd be interested if pricing isn't outrageous
914_7T3
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 13 2019, 11:33 AM) *

I thin AA has reproduced your labels already.

Expansion tank is the wrong color and they have no '73 emission decals.
bbrock
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Aug 13 2019, 12:28 PM) *

beerchug.gif

Good info, but I'm not really into stickers and markings lol-2.gif

Was that emission sticker on 49 state cars too? If so, I'll have to get one. My expansion tank sticker is in good shape if I can remove it cleanly. I've had good luck lifting decals with a little heat and dull razor blade. Good to know there will be a backup if it doesn't go well.

I just got this sticker from AA last week. I don't have an original to compare how good of a reproduction it is but is looks like it might be cut too tight to the ink.

Click to view attachment

914_7T3
QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 13 2019, 08:13 PM) *

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Aug 13 2019, 12:28 PM) *

beerchug.gif

Good info, but I'm not really into stickers and markings lol-2.gif

Was that emission sticker on 49 state cars too? If so, I'll have to get one. My expansion tank sticker is in good shape if I can remove it cleanly. I've had good luck lifting decals with a little heat and dull razor blade. Good to know there will be a backup if it doesn't go well.

I just got this sticker from AA last week. I don't have an original to compare how good of a reproduction it is but is looks like it might be cut too tight to the ink.

Click to view attachment

Originals are all posted on Bowlsby’s Classic Site!

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/PLM.htm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.