Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NPC: But outragously Cool!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif

Click to view attachment
KELTY360
Incredible! How long did you have that on the rack/jack stands? Seems like it's been a permanent fixture. Can't imagine how many hours you have in that one. Customer must be pretty excited to see it at this stage.
rick 918-S
Oh ya! It was here longer than I want to admit but only because I had a full time job working 24-7-365. blink.gif

My friend is loading it now and bringing home until I finish Ben's 6 and the 911 Targa I have here. Then it comes back. I am painting the shell. He will assemble it when I'm done.
rick 918-S
Couple more photos:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

balljoint
Very nice! smile.gif
Chris H.
Purty....what color is it going to be?
rick 918-S
I don't know what the color is called. I'm not the expert but it's kind of blue. Here's the car after all the welding was done just before it went in to be cooked at 800 deg.

7TPorsh
funny looking 914
Chris H.
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 13 2014, 12:11 PM) *

I don't know what the color is called. I'm not the expert but it's kind of blue. Here's the car after all the welding was done just before it went in to be cooked at 800 deg.

Great work man. Here's a site with the colors and codes:

w113 paint codes
bulitt
Whats the process? Etch bath, wash, Ecoat bath?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(bulitt @ Feb 13 2014, 12:58 PM) *

Whats the process? Etch bath, wash, Ecoat bath?

The shell gets cooked at 800 deg. then acid bath, rinse, then e-coat tank dipped so everything is coated inside and out.
McMark
Mind posting the cost? Looks amazing. Kinda wish we didn't have those stupid paper tubes in the longs. dry.gif
boxsterfan
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 13 2014, 11:22 AM) *

Mind posting the cost? Looks amazing. Kinda wish we didn't have those stupid paper tubes in the longs. dry.gif

I wonder if you could replace the paper tubes in the 914 longs with motorcycle muffler? Or just all steel tube?
ConeDodger
first.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 13 2014, 01:22 PM) *

$ 2700.00 cash only. agree.gif After seeing this I'm seriously thinking about how this can be done on our cars.

http://www.redi-coat.com/photos.html
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 13 2014, 03:00 PM) *

$ 2700.00 cash only. agree.gif After seeing this I'm seriously thinking about how this can be done on our cars.

http://www.redi-coat.com/photos.html

Thanks for sharing Rick. Only way I can think of is taking the tubes out and replacing with something that would survived the acid bath. Or, e-coat, then replace the tubes and leave only that section uncoated?
Zimms
Wasn't akellym doing this to his?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Zimms @ Feb 13 2014, 02:22 PM) *

Wasn't akellym doing this to his?

Another process. Not e-coated.
rick 918-S
Bumped for rich towle
SixerJ
Someone has fixed the heater tube issue with the acid dip / ecoat process.....seriously considering this when the time come

Picture from surface processing in the UK

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
Wow ! Beautiful job.
Does the process remove surface rust and paint ?
Is final bodywork done after Ecoat ?
Seems that the only questions are cost, skill and willingness to remove the paper mufflers as part of a total restoration.
The 113 looks like factory replacement body.
87m491
Seems that the only questions are cost, skill and willingness to remove the paper mufflers as part of a total restoration.

I'd guess baking at 800F takes care of the removal part, all except the ashes, no idea on the replacement side!

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 3 2016, 03:27 AM) *

Wow ! Beautiful job.
Does the process remove surface rust and paint ?
Is final bodywork done after Ecoat ?
The 113 looks like factory replacement body.

rgalla9146
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 13 2014, 02:11 PM) *

Rick does the process remove surface rust and paint ?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 4 2016, 07:19 AM) *

Yes, 800 degree oven turns paint, grease, and undercoating into ash, then the car is acid dipped then neutralized. Then the car is submerged in a vat of e-coat primer. the higher the voltage the thicker the coating.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jun 4 2016, 10:27 AM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 4 2016, 07:19 AM) *

Yes, 800 degree oven turns paint, grease, and undercoating into ash, then the car is acid dipped then neutralized. Then the car is submerged in a vat of e-coat primer. the higher the voltage the thicker the coating.

Just to be sure, the acid dip part removes the surface rust ?
SixerJ
In my research into this type of process, each vendor varies slightly

This is a fairly typical process to strip, repair and ecoat a shell (scroll down to the steps section); http://www.surfaceprocessing.co.uk/technical-process.html

Ricks vendors process definitely differs in the 1st stages and sounds similar to envirostips process https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o5kP5PKHfaE (about 25secs in is the shell coming out the oven)

My understanding is the oven process is more gentle on the shell as you are not using so harsh a set of chemicals, the issue with envirostrip method is that they just etch prime at the end. What about the box sections than are now bright steel inside? Framecoat in a rattle can, better than nothing but far from perfect

Sounds like Rick has found the best of both worlds, oven to strip, dip to eat the rust away, repair, re-strip again back to clean steel, then ecoat

I'm sure Rick will chip in and set me straight on his vendors process, but I really like the idea of ecoat

r_towle
What do the paper mufflers do?
Are they mainly designed to change the noise coming into the passenger compartment?
If so, I think maybe something could work in the front trunk to accomplish this.

Then replace the paper tubes with steel.
Dip away.
ben*james
Rick that is a beautiful car. Love it!

Thanks again BTW for your contributions to the WCR. I'm a little bummed I didn't win the long sleeve. If you ever get a bug to make more, count me in on the order piratenanner.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 4 2016, 10:33 PM) *

Are they mainly designed to change the noise coming into the passenger compartment?
If so, I think maybe something could work in the front trunk to accomplish this.

Dip away.

I think I will be getting a 914-6 later this summer that I would like to send through this process. I figured out a way to do it and restore the muffler after the work is completed. I'm sure the price is going up but even at 5k you can't do this clean of a job. You will never get the rust starting inside the longs.

Yes, the "muffler is exactly that. Detunes the exhaust sound from the H.E.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(ben*james @ Jun 4 2016, 10:42 PM) *

Rick that is a beautiful car. Love it!

Thanks again BTW for your contributions to the WCR. I'm a little bummed I didn't win the long sleeve. If you ever get a bug to make more, count me in on the order piratenanner.gif

Thanks,

No more like that one but I have another design in the works. assimilate.gif

I hope who ever won it wears it as much as I do mine. I like the long sleeves. Specially around here. The way things are going we may never get summer this year. dry.gif
rgalla9146
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 4 2016, 11:33 PM) *

Dip away.

I like it.
But with this twist.
Rather than fabricate a muffler to install somewhere else why not use a steel cherry bomb type muffler inside the long ? ( do they have fiberglass in them ?)
Or fab them from thin wall tubing and sheet metal, creating angled barriers to do the muffling.
Then dip away.

r_towle
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 5 2016, 06:09 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 4 2016, 11:33 PM) *

Dip away.

I like it.
But with this twist.
Rather than fabricate a muffler to install somewhere else why not use a steel cherry bomb type muffler inside the long ? ( do they have fiberglass in them ?)
Or fab them from thin wall tubing and sheet metal, creating angled barriers to do the muffling.
Then dip away.

Maybe after a lot of testing, sure.
For me, I will do all my testing outside the long, just makes it easier for me
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.