Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Note to Self
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LvSteveH
blink.gif

Note #1 In the future, remember to put a drain pan under the torque converter when pulling the engine on an American car with automatic trans to avoid having the shop look like something out of a cheap horror flick due to 8 quarts of ATF on the floor.

Note #2 In the future, remember to reset the air compressor to 90psi to run air tools, 150psi seems to do very bad things to the impact.

I'm hoping that by making a public spectacle of my stupidity I’ll remember not to make these mistakes again. Thank you for your help. Hey, this is a lot cheaper than real therapy.

biggrin.gif Steve
PatW
Yup, Been there did that. My old TH400 on my Chevy held a case of ATF and then some in the converter.

Hell of a thing when a cooler line decided to spring a leak and dump tranny fulid all over the road.
Seen my share of ballooned torque convereters exploding too

Sure glad I don't drive old detroit iron anymore. blink.gif
LvSteveH
It was a TH350 in a 78 Blazer. I almost forgot:

Note #3 When cleaning up the massive amounts of ATF and antifreeze remember to take off the mechanix gloves and put on latex gloves, apparently when the mechanix gloves reach their saturation point with the aforementioned mixture, the dye begins to run, and my hands are now black, and the five industrial hand cleaners I’ve tried have had no effect at all. Just another thing to remind me not to do that again I suppose.

:toilet:
kdfoust
heh heh. I once forgot to tighten the oil cooler lines on a diesel after doing some surgery. Do you know what diesel engine oil looks like? To quote the Beverly Hillbillies "Black gold, Texas T." I still get to look at the trail I left down the driveway and into the street and then the U-turn 1/2 block down the street and the trail back up the driveway and into the garage...dang.

Have fun,
Kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.