Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Sender not working
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john77
Hi

I'm the proud new owner of a 73 914/6 conversion, with a handful of minor electrical gremlins that I need to track down - so firstly, hello. And secondly, HELP!

My knowledge of car electrics is somewhere between idiot and novice, so please bear with me. The OEM fuel sender gauge has been swapped out for a 911 oil temp/pressure gauge and an aftermarket fuel sender mounted on the dash. The needle raises about 4mm when the ignition is switched on, but won't go any further no matter the level of fuel in the tank.

I removed the sender unit from the gas tank and the float isn't stuck (I have no idea how to check the sender internal circuitry). Then I checked the voltage at the positive pin of the sender and it's only reading 5.5V.

I have a Haynes manual in the mail, and am struggling to read the wiring diagrams on Pelican because, unless I'm missing something, none of them appear to have key of what each of the numbered components are. So I thought I'd seek help here because maybe the cause is something really obvious and, well, I'm impatient. smile.gif

Thanks
John
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(john77 @ Feb 26 2014, 02:24 PM) *

Hi

I'm the proud new owner of a 73 914/6 conversion, with a handful of minor electrical gremlins that I need to track down - so firstly, hello. And secondly, HELP!

My knowledge of car electrics is somewhere between idiot and novice, so please bear with me. The OEM fuel sender gauge has been swapped out for a 911 oil temp/pressure gauge and an aftermarket fuel sender mounted on the dash. The needle raises about 4mm when the ignition is switched on, but won't go any further no matter the level of fuel in the tank.

I removed the sender unit from the gas tank and the float isn't stuck (I have no idea how to check the sender internal circuitry). Then I checked the voltage at the positive pin of the sender and it's only reading 5.5V.

I have a Haynes manual in the mail, and am struggling to read the wiring diagrams on Pelican because, unless I'm missing something, none of them appear to have key of what each of the numbered components are. So I thought I'd seek help here because maybe the cause is something really obvious and, well, I'm impatient. smile.gif

Thanks
John

Don't know if this previous forum will help, Terry

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...;hl=Fuel+sender

And we NEED pictures of your 914! smile.gif
Cap'n Krusty
It's important that the guage be matched to the sender, and it sounds as if yours isn't. There are folks here who have incorporated the original gauge into a multi-function instrument. North Hollywood Speedometer does the same thing, but quality and knowledge carry a pretty hefty price tag.

Welcome!

The Cap'n
john77
Thanks Terry, I'll give that a try tonight.

I actually got the car from SC (what's with the concentration of 914 guys in the south east? smile.gif) It has a 73 2.7RS spec engine, with the rear arches 'massaged' to fit 7" fuchs.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
john77
Thanks Cap'n

Good point, I have no idea if they are, I'll have to do some research. They're both definitely aftermarket though.

Click to view attachment
john77
I've confirmed the gauge and sender are compatible, so that's not the problem.

I pulled the 914 gauge cluster to check where the wires were routed and found that the live and ground wires from the aftermarket fuel gauge had been piggy backed onto the live and ground terminals of the new temp/pressure gauge.

Any idea if this could be the root of my problem?
r_towle
I thought the fuel sender was ohms, not volts.

See if it reads zero when down and something more when up...all in ohms.

there are a few guys who remember the correct range that live here, someone will chime in .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.