Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What the heck is it?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
-JR-
I'm trying to figure out the specs on a VW cam part number 021.109.111B. A search of the net has drawn nothing but blanks.

I would really appreicate it if someone has a book they could look up this information in.

Specifically the duration and lift would be REALLY nice to know!

Thanks for any help.

James
SLITS
PET6 nor VW/AUDI EKTA recognize that part number. 021.109.015/017/019/021/023/025/027 are valid for a Type 4........the last three digits denote the cam gear installed.

With a set of "V" blocks, a degree wheel and a dial indicator, you can degree the cam yourself.
Carlitos Way
Ingwish, pwease?
SLITS
QUOTE (cmolina @ Jan 7 2005, 10:17 AM)
Ingwish, pwease?

What part of the Ingwish would you like explained?
-JR-
Well here is a pic of the only markings on the cam assembly....
(Only thing to note is that is "looks" like there is a casting imperfection on the second digits which appears to be a 9 or maybe a 3)
IPB Image
SLITS
That, my friend, is the part number for the gear only.

You have a stock Type 4 D-Jet cam. All Type 4 cams are the same. The Haynes Manual gives the specifications as I remember.

At 0.04" lash

Intake Opens 12 degrees BTDC
Intake Closes 42 degrees ABDC
Exh Opens 43 degrees BTDC
Exh Closes 4 degrees ATDC

No figures given for cam lobe lift.....
-JR-
I see.... So all this jazz about cams for fuel injected cars to carburated cars being different is bunk?

One last thing, I was told this was out of a VW BUS engine. Will it still be the same?

Thanks!
SLITS
914 carbed cams may be slightly different( I have no knowledge), but they weren't sold in the US.

To run carbs effectively, requires the cam be changed. Do a search and there is much discussion on the subject of Carbs VS DJet and the cams associated with each.
-JR-
Sounds good. I see PET says there are 6 different ones. But the difference just seems to be the gear is mounted ahead or behind TDC.

Someone put dual webbers on my engine at some point in the past so now that I'm tearing down the motor I'd like to make sure it's got an appropriate cam.

James
SLITS
QUOTE (-JR- @ Jan 7 2005, 05:41 PM)
Sounds good. I see PET says there are 6 different ones. But the difference just seems to be the gear is mounted ahead or behind TDC.

Someone put dual webbers on my engine at some point in the past so now that I'm tearing down the motor I'd like to make sure it's got an appropriate cam.

James

The different part numbers deal with the gear only and it's mating to the crankshaft gear. It was explained what a -2 or +2 actually meant, but I forgot. You just use the gear that came with your crank.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.