Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parting out 1980 911SC
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Series9
I'm considering parting out an '80 SC. It's a complete, running car right now, so I have everything. The engine has a fresh top end and runs perfectly.

Anyone want the engine? What else?
Brett W
Do you still have the fans used to blow the air into the thermal reactors? I don't know what years they came on.
Series9
QUOTE (Brett W @ Jan 7 2005, 07:57 PM)
Do you still have the fans used to blow the air into the thermal reactors? I don't know what years they came on.

This is a post-reactor car.
mharrison
Why are you wanting to part it out? Is it driveable?
markb
The rear reflecter? Does it have cruise control?
TimT
Ill take the rear trailing arms
Series9
Yes, it's drivable. It runs great and is a good, solid car.

The problem is that I've been trying to sell it for six months and can't seem to give it away. Yes, I would rather sell it to someone who would enjoy it. And no, I'm not excited about the prospect of parting out a decent, running car.

It's coming down to the fact that it's worth more as parts than it is as a running vehicle.

If anyone would like to buy it, it's $9900.00. Otherwise, I'm considering selling it in pieces.

The main part that needs to sell before anything else is the engine.

Does anyone want the engine?
markb
Don't I wish.
Aaron Cox
know anyone who needs a kidney?

id like to wish i could afford the motor/trans
r_towle
How much for the engine?
What has been done?
How many miles?
Leakdown test?

Rich
Series9
QUOTE (r_towle @ Jan 7 2005, 08:32 PM)
How much for the engine?
What has been done?
How many miles?
Leakdown test?

Rich

Engine is stock and is $3500. 110K on the bottom end and 6K on the top. The top end included a FULL head rebuild ($1700), rings and all new seals. Piston/Cylinders are Mahle and were in spec and reused.

I'd have to run leak down numbers, but like I said, there's only 6K on the top end.
BIGKAT_83
I'll take the front suspension. $$$$??????

IPB Image
Series9
Nothing goes until the engine sells. Then it's on!

I already have interest in the front struts/calipers/rotors/hubs. They'll go for $450 if I part the car.
GWN7
What's the rest of the car look like?
Series9
QUOTE (GWN7 @ Jan 7 2005, 08:51 PM)
What's the rest of the car look like?

Here:
GWN7
Too nice to part out... IPB Image
bernbomb914
could we see more pics? what size is the eng? I dont know and would like more info about the eng specs.

Bernie
jim912928
put it on ebay!
Series9
It's been on eBay four times. Max bid: $6100.00

Yes, it's too nice to part out, but it's becoming a simple matter of economics.

The engine is a 3.0 CIS. Stock 185hp. With headers, maybe 200hp.

Here's a few more pics:
Eric_Shea
The rear reflecter? Does it have cruise control?

I'm pretty sure the rear reflector doesn't have cruise control IPB Image

OK... Somebody buy the damn engine NOW. (I already have one.) Bernie... are you getting old? IPB Image It's a 3.0 IPB Image IPB Image

Find yourself a 3.0 w/6k on the top end for that price gang. Basically put carbs on it, retard the cams and put it in your teener. Joe that's WFC (way fuching cheap) for a rippin 200hp "Stock" motor (with carbs and headers you'll easily pull an additional 20hp over the stock 180).

I say "stock" because you don't have to do squat (other than what was mentioned). No high strung performance mods. No overheating issues.

Shit... if you're thinking "six" call Joe...
Series9
next:
Series9
next:
Eric_Shea
Joe,

If it's a matter of economics then part it out. You'll always make more parting it out. Hurts but it's true... If you have the time and extra knuckles, tear into it.
markb
D@mn I wish I had the money, that's a great lookin' SC.
Gint
I'd love to buy it. That's exactly what I'd be in the market for to replace my 2.0 in the /6. But the wife's pending layoff is the show stopper.
Series9
Like I said, this thread was intended to gauge interest.

I haven't made any final decisions yet. IPB Image

I need to get this car sold, no later than April 15th (if you know what I mean).

I just can't believe 914/4s are going for more than 10K and nobody wants this car. I'm just frustrated.
Eric_Shea
The price you want is right. Get those BFU wheels off it and it'll sell IPB Image

I like the RSR treatments. It would make a great club car. Somebody fork over the cash-ola IPB Image
Korijo
*if* it parts out, would you sell one seat harness ? for my wheelchair IPB Image

front oil cooler ? IPB Image
Series9
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Jan 7 2005, 10:32 PM)
Get those BFU wheels off it and it'll sell   IPB Image

Every place I've listed the car, I've offered to put some stock Fuchs on for the new owner if they didn't like the color of the wheels on the car.

Korijo, Yes, I'll sell you one of the harnesses for your wheel chair. How fast you goin' in that thing? IPB Image
aylanco
QUOTE (914RS @ Jan 7 2005, 09:44 PM)

Every place I've listed the car, I've offered to put some stock Fuchs on for the new owner if they didn't like the color of the wheels on the car.

Joe,

One reason could be that the car is a mish-mash of too many colors. Red/White/Tan...probably not attractive to a broad audience. The only color you can "remove" is the red. That gets it to two colors and that will make a BIG difference.

I've sold many, many cars over the years and I'd like to lend you my insight. Most people have no vision as to what a car could look like. If you want to sell that car, then put the stock Fuchs on it before you list it.

The other mish-mash is the nod to so many 911's. The RSR front with the mirrors of the post '73 911 doesn't flow. The 964 rear doesn't quite look right with the RSR front. Add the fact that it is a Targa (no RSR Targas were built) and it doesn't quite add up. I know there is not much you can change here. This all narrows down the number of people who will be interested, but as they say in the car business, "there's an ass for every seat"!

I hope this doesn't sound too harsh, just pointing out my thoughts about it.

One other tip: Lose the racing harness. Put in the stock seat belts and save the harness for your next car. You need to appeal to a wider audience (no pun intended) and only a small group of people want them in a street car.

Too nice to part out. You'll sell it if you can make it as "stock" as possible.

Best of luck
pete-stevers
I do think that 911 make great donor cars but that one is to damn nice to part out....Is It a new mexico car with no rust?? and only 6100 on ebay?
I would love to buy the engine but i hve a sc in the shop for that specific reason.... plus shipping to BC... IPB Image
temptation.... temptation.....
steve
Series9
QUOTE (aylanco @ Jan 7 2005, 11:11 PM)
[QUOTE=914RS,Jan 7 2005, 09:44 PM] [/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Joe,

One reason could be that the car is a mish-mash of too many colors. Red/White/Tan...probably not attractive to a broad audience. The only color you can "remove" is the red. That gets it to two colors and that will make a BIG difference.

I've sold many, many cars over the years and I'd like to lend you my insight. Most people have no vision as to what a car could look like. If you want to sell that car, then put the stock Fuchs on it before you list it.

The other mish-mash is the nod to so many 911's. The RSR front with the mirrors of the post '73 911 doesn't flow. The 964 rear doesn't quite look right with the RSR front. Add the fact that it is a Targa (no RSR Targas were built) and it doesn't quite add up. I know there is not much you can change here. This all narrows down the number of people who will be interested, but as they say in the car business, "there's an ass for every seat"!

I hope this doesn't sound too harsh, just pointing out my thoughts about it.

One other tip: Lose the racing harness. Put in the stock seat belts and save the harness for your next car. You need to appeal to a wider audience (no pun intended) and only a small group of people want them in a street car.

Too nice to part out. You'll sell it if you can make it as "stock" as possible.

Best of luck

You haven't said anything that I don't know, but I don't have a stock set of Fuchs around, so it's something I would have to do if it were necessary.

The bumpers actually go together. They're IROC bumpers that not only save 100#, but replaced trashed factory bumpers that were on the car when I got it.

As for the belts, I suppose I could source a stock set...
Series9
QUOTE (pete-stevers @ Jan 7 2005, 11:18 PM)
..Is It a new mexico car with no rust??

It's lived all over, but has no rust.
aylanco
QUOTE (914RS @ Jan 7 2005, 10:23 PM)
You haven't said anything that I don't know, but I don't have a stock set of Fuchs around, so it's something I would have to do if it were necessary.

The bumpers actually go together. They're IROC bumpers that not only save 100#, but replaced trashed factory bumpers that were on the car when I got it.

As for the belts, I suppose I could source a stock set...

Oops! you are so right about the bumpers--Sorry, at first glance they looked like 964's. IPB Image

Again, this was by no means a criticism, just some thoughts as to why it hasn't yet sold.

Anyway, the name of the game in selling a vintage car is "stock as possible" because everyone would customize their own car differently from the other guy.

Again, best of luck Joe.
bernbomb914
I might be interested in buying it before 4/15, I will let you know you could powder coat the wheels a netural color that might help

Bernie
VegasRacer
I hope you don't have to resort to parting it out.
If you do I am interested in the brake calipers from all 4 corners.
Root_Werks
Joe, if the car hasn't sold by the time I can get my taxes back, would you take $3k for the engine? I don't need the FI, exhuast or anything. Just shroud, alt, and dist. Let me know.
spare time toys
If you do by chance part it out I would like to be second in the front suspension line PLEASE. Larry
JWest
I saw your car advertized recently (autotrader?) and thought it was just what I was looking for, except I want a coupe, and I'm not quite ready to do it it yet.

Anyway, if you do part it out I might be interested in the bumpers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.