Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stock windshield washer system
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
saigon71
I continue to address comfort/drivability projects on the teener. I plan on driving the car a lot this year and need operational windshield washers.

When I filled up the reservoir and connected the stock system to the spare tire, all the fluid leaked out below the gas tank and deflated the spare tire.

My question is...is the stock system worth sorting out and using for DD purposes or should I just go with a pump?

Thanks!
CptTripps
Go with a pump. The stock system is a no-win.

Scenario 1: You have a leak by the steering wheel that makes the system worthless because it would just drain the tire.

Scenario 2: You have a system that works well, and you forget about the tire pressure so when you need it, you have a flat spare tire.
GeorgeRud
You might find that replacing it with a simple pump may be the easiest route, but you will have to come up with a switch to control it.

There is supposed to be a limiter in the air line from the spare that limits how low the air pressure can get in the spare tire. If you replace that, you might find that there is simply a bad connection in a water line. Usually the problem is at the switch on the steering column, but the leakage would be into the interior if that was the case.
JmuRiz
I just got rid of my system, never had the need to use it anyway...
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Mar 12 2014, 10:03 AM) *

I just got rid of my system, never had the need to use it anyway...

agree.gif Stays in the garage on rainy days! biggrin.gif
VegasRacer
driving.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Mar 12 2014, 10:44 AM) *

driving.gif

agree.gif you beat me to it
walterolin
Here's an article from the Bird, it looks like the conversion would be a fair amount of work: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...tric_washer.htm

I spent some time trying to make my OEM system work many years ago when the check valve and the rubber hoses were still in good condition. I didn't have much success.
saigon71
Thanks for the responses. Great article on the Pelican site. beerchug.gif

Windshield washers would have been nice coming home from the tail late last year when I got caught in the snow...I ordered a pump and check valve today. I will probably install a push button switch under the dash.
pvollma
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Mar 12 2014, 04:30 PM) *

Windshield washers would have been nice coming home from the tail late last year when I got caught in the snow...I ordered a pump and check valve today. I will probably install a push button switch under the dash.

Tony at Translog replaced the one in my 76 in a way similar to the Pelican article (using a 924 column switch so that everything works normally). I see you're in Dillsburg, so his shop is not that far away, if you decide not to tackle the job yourself.
Spoke
Good write-up here in the classic threads:

Sir Andy Adding Electric Washer Pump
r_towle
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Mar 12 2014, 05:30 PM) *

feel around near the cigarette lighter, there is another hole for another switch.
I use an old fog light switch, looks correct, pull it out, sprays the windshield.

rich
nsr-jamie
I tried to make the stock system work as well and was always disapointed, changed everything so much work into it and it still leaked water everywhere....I eventually went with an aftermarket kit I bought here locally in Japan, wired in a switch under the dash and it works great, looks very clean, passed the road inspection test and only cost around 50 dollars or so....
balljoint
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 12 2014, 10:51 AM) *

QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Mar 12 2014, 10:44 AM) *

driving.gif

agree.gif you beat me to it

agree.gif

+ speed.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(walterolin @ Mar 12 2014, 10:58 AM) *

Here's an article from the Bird, it looks like the conversion would be a fair amount of work: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...tric_washer.htm

I spent some time trying to make my OEM system work many years ago when the check valve and the rubber hoses were still in good condition. I didn't have much success.

The only problem with a 924 switch is the angle of it brings the handle closer to the steering wheel. Not a real big deal, but if you have big hands you tend to hit the switch when making turns sometimes, or when auto-crossing.
cary
I did the 924 conversion on my white car many years ago.
It's works so well I don't even give it any thought.
luskesq
I used Sir Andy's thread as a guide and converted mine. Got a pump from FLAPS, used original reservoir and it works great. Total investment was slightly under $10.00 (for the pump, I had a push button switch).

Keith
ClayPerrine
The other problem with the stock setup is in some circumstances it can push washer fluid back into the spare tire. So you end up with a really unbalanced spare when you need it.

And you would regret having the system when the line under the dash splits and you end up with a whole washer bottle full of fluid sprayed on your crotch.

screwy.gif
Johny Blackstain
stromberg.gif stromberg.gif stromberg.gif
Anyone successfully repair/restore a stock spare tire powered system?
creamsicle914.jpg dry.gif
saigon71
Bit the bullet and installed a washer pump motor. Picked up a pump and a Volvo check valve from Ebay. Bought a push button switch from my local NAPA.

The Pelican article was a great resource.

Click to view attachment

My old rubber tubing was in various states of decay, so I removed all of it, including the stuff up under the dash. I only saved the original supply hose on the bottom so I could re-use it to supply the pump. I also saved the original T-fitting to split the hoses.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The pump needed to be out of the way enough to clear the washer bottle. I chose to mount it here with four sheet metal screws.

Click to view attachment

I didn't want to take anything apart for this project, so I ran a flex tool with retractable fingers to pull the hose and wire under the air box. Ran the wires through the factory cutout under the dash.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

orthobiz
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 16 2014, 04:19 PM) *

stromberg.gif stromberg.gif stromberg.gif
Anyone successfully repair/restore a stock spare tire powered system?
creamsicle914.jpg dry.gif

Brad Mayeur did mine on my original Phoenix Red car. The secret is silicone hose so it doesn't crack like rubber. The concours judges did not detect it this summer!

Paul
saigon71
Bent up a small bracket out of 20 GA sheet metal to mount the switch. Removed one screw from the lower dash so the bracket would slide in and be bolted with the dash screw:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Drilled out the cap so the bottle can vent:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The pump wired & plumbed. I used insulated spade connectors considering the proximity to the gas tank:

Click to view attachment

Ran the wires and hooked up the switch. Then used a straight pin to re-aim the nozzles. I am pleased with how it turned out:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Apr 2 2014, 06:18 PM) *

Brad Mayeur did mine on my original Phoenix Red car. The secret is silicone hose so it doesn't crack like rubber. The concours judges did not detect it this summer!

Paul

Very cool Paul & good to know. So I need to go out & get the right size silicone tubing & just replace it all then. PITA but it must be done- 1 of 2 things that are not working on my LE. Other one is the AAR, but I know what to do regarding that, however I've found operating it manually works really well so no incentive there yet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.