Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition wiring/plug
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
OU8AVW
So I bought a steering column with the ignition switch and associated wiring and turn signal. I went to install it on my 71 and the plug is different. My car's plug has a center rib that runs between the individual plugs but my "new" column and plug do not. It sucks because I spent money keying the switch as it did not come with a key.
I was too pissed at the time to get a photo dry.gif

Comments?

So I bought another column that I know is from a 1971 car, it doesn't f!#king fit either!
My car was built in 07/1971....

Column plug on the left, car on the right. How can I make this work? Can somebody sell me what I need?

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
70 & 71 have a unique steering column and ignition. I might have the ignition plug you need in a parts car. You would have to graft it into your harness. PM me if you want it.
OU8AVW
Let me see if I can find a column. Thanks
914Sixer
70,71 column were sourced from the VW Type 3 parts . When the 72 came along with the built in wiper switch they were sourced from the VW Type 1 Bug.
OU8AVW
Please see edit in first post blink.gif
JeffBowlsby
The best idea would be to keep looking for a 1971 steering column, that has the 14pin connector. The 12pin is a 1970 column, I tmay have come from a 1971 car, but it was not original to it. The 1971 chassis harness has a 13th wire in it that the 1970 does not have, and uses the 14pin connector with one empty cavity.
Cap'n Krusty
You'll want to be sure the replacement column bolts in, as well. That changed, too, but I'm not sure when.

The Cap'n
914werke
Mike Why not just change the connector?
PM me.
914itis
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Mar 29 2014, 11:26 PM) *

Mike Why not just change the connector?
PM me.

I worked on my som's 70 today with the same issue . I attempted to change the connector but 3 or 4 of the wire colors didn't match. I manage to make it work for the most part, after an hour of testing. I still have to do some more testing in the morning.
JeffBowlsby
Brad Mayeur has an NOS 1971 column on ebay right now...or contact him directly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-1971-S...4de&vxp=mtr
hndyhrr
I have a 70. bought one that was for 72. grrrrr Call Easy Porsche Parts in Emeryville, cali. and see if they have one.
mepstein
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Mar 30 2014, 12:58 AM) *

Brad Mayeur has an NOS 1971 column on ebay right now...or contact him directly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-1971-S...4de&vxp=mtr

agree.gif buy the one on ebay. sell the others.
ClayPerrine
Porsche sells both the male and female 14 pin connector shells brand new. Just buy two of them and replace the shells.
OU8AVW
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 30 2014, 06:36 AM) *

Porsche sells both the male and female 14 pin connector shells brand new. Just buy two of them and replace the shells.

That's a good idea, but what's that 13th wire for on the car and will that mess me up with a 12 wire column?
JeffBowlsby
Someone had contacted me recently about this...I did a study with the limited information I have. The major problem is that there is no 1970 chassis harness schematic available and I have not had an opportunity to completely wring out a 1970 harness to know what each circuit it. Based on wire color only:

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.