Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 904 Mainshaft
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yeahmag
Might this be the elusive 904 mainshaft? i just picked up about 7 901 cores and this was in one of the boxes of random parts.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
tscrihfield
Yes, that appears to be a 904 main shaft.
tscrihfield
But it looks to be a little rough!
yeahmag
It's quite dirty. Other than that it looks passable to me. I'd have to have Dr. Evil to look at it to know for sure.
Qarl
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Mar 17 2014, 06:07 PM) *

It's quite dirty. Other than that it looks passable to me. I'd have to have Dr. Evil to look at it to know for sure.

Looks like the one I had...

IPB Image
yeahmag
I'm probably not gonna use this thing as I can't afford to build a box of the caliber.
Cap'n Krusty
I was wondering where I left that thing .........................

The Cap'n
Woody
I'll give you $50 to send it to me so I can verify. happy11.gif
toolguy
put it on a lathe a turn slowly and see if it has any runout. . since these were used on 'performance' motors, I've seen more than a few that have bow in the gear stack area. . just a smidge will make the gears mesh too tight on one side and loose on the other. . If it's straight you hit the jackpot, plus see what the gears were in the transmission it came out of. . you might have a nice setup ready to go. .
boxsterfan
How much do these 904 mainshafts go for?
jaxdream
About a 915 ???!!!! confused24.gif confused24.gif stirthepot.gif stirthepot.gif

Jack
Qarl

I think I sold my NOS 3 years ago for $1350
Qarl
QUOTE(Qarl @ Mar 18 2014, 12:33 AM) *

I think I sold my NOS 3 years ago for $1350

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-COMPETITIO...=item3cdb7b6429
yeahmag
So, I'll be eyeballing this thing on the lathe in the next few days to see how the runout is. After that it goes up for sale. Daddy needs a new set of tires... ;-)
Katmanken
Straightening a shaft ain't no big thing. I used to get large quantities of precision diameter steel shafts (centerless ground) and straight to half a thousandths.

Watched the ladies do it too. They slapped a shaft on a fixture, spun the shaft while looking at the dial indicator and whammed the shaft with the press when the high side was under the press.

Some fixtures had 1 press at the center, and some 2 presses at the 1/3 and the 2/3 points on the shaft. They could straighten a shaft in under 30 seconds. Wham, wham, wham.....
Dr Evil
Dang, wish I found a 904 shaft in the pile. Shit, I wish I had a pile. West PA is a suck pocket for cores and 914 stuff.
stownsen914
Got any 2nd gearsets to go with that thing? They're valuable too. I got a couple sets in a lot of 901 gearsets I bought a few years ago. We get lucky every once in a while ...
ldsgeek
QUOTE(Katmanken @ Mar 18 2014, 06:40 PM) *

Straightening a shaft ain't no big thing. I used to get large quantities of precision diameter steel shafts (centerless ground) and straight to half a thousandths.

Watched the ladies do it too. They slapped a shaft on a fixture, spun the shaft while looking at the dial indicator and whammed the shaft with the press when the high side was under the press.

Some fixtures had 1 press at the center, and some 2 presses at the 1/3 and the 2/3 points on the shaft. They could straighen a shaft in under 30 seconds. Wham, wham, wham.....

They straighten gun barrels the same way, only they don't use the dial indicator. They look through the bore to find a shadow and use that to figure out where to straighten.
yeahmag
She's straight! Over the entire length we measured no more than .0015"

Click to view attachment
yeahmag
We measured in 5 spots along the shaft and all look great. Gave the journals a bit of a polish and put her away.
Click to view attachment
r_towle
spray wd40 all over it before you put it away.
Good for keeping surface rust from forming.

rich
Cap'n Krusty
Better yet, use LPS3, it's made for that purpose. -1 and -2 would be good, too. WD40 is a second rate product for any use it's put to. If there's already some corrosion, use Evaporust. It's a truly amazing product, even if they do sell it at HF. It removes rust and "pickles" the surfaces so they don't rust again.

The Cap'n
bdstone914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 14 2014, 09:02 PM) *

Better yet, use LPS3, it's made for that purpose. -1 and -2 would be good, too. WD40 is a second rate product for any use it's put to. If there's already some corrosion, use Evaporust. It's a truly amazing product, even if they do sell it at HF. It removes rust and "pickles" the surfaces so they don't rust again.

The Cap'n

Agreed on the Evaporust. You can buy it a O'Reillys for $22 per gallon which is less then HF sells it for.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/R...ap?keyword=rust
Dr Evil
Man, these things used to be rare and expensive, but a quick search on Ebay shows 3, 2 under $1200 and one for about $900, all BIN. I just bought one to sell.....I thought I got a better deal wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.