Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Head Installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Ready to install the nos. 3 & 4 cylinder head and was wondering about putting a sealant of some type under the washers and nuts that sit inside the head. This seems like a spot where leaks could happen. Any words of wisdom?
Allan
IPB Image
Rhodes71/914
I'll give you my limited knowledge and put a disclaimer that I am not a type 4 pro but have had a few apart and back together.(not wanting to give bad advice)

That being said I have never seen or heard of sealant under those washers. There is some oil in the rocker arm area but I think the nut and washer do a good enough job.
McMark
nah. liquid teflon if ya want.
newdeal2
None required. But do consider sealant at the pushrod tubes, I used Hylomar on both ends around the seals. Dry as a bone so far IPB Image
Allan
Thanks guys. I think a little bit of teflon under the washers. What about permatex 3H on the push rod tube seals. Every thing I've seen so far says just to use a little oil.
newdeal2
QUOTE (Headrage @ Jan 9 2005, 03:12 PM)
Thanks guys.  I think a little bit of teflon under the washers.  What about permatex 3H on the push rod tube seals.  Every thing I've seen so far says just to use a little oil.

I have heard of using Permatex but in my [humble] opinion you need to keep things soft due to the expansion/contraction and I think Permatex will tend to harden too much. I went with the Hylomar.

Experts feel free to chime in.
Rhodes71/914
Seams like it's split on whether to use any sealant on the PR tube seals. I just went with a little oil. Won't know about leaks for awhile, gotta do some other stuff before I can run it.
newdeal2
I have about 4-6 hours of runnng time on my engine going thru the tuning process of the new rebuild and used Hylomar. Still no signs of a leak.
r_towle
No on the washers.
Yes most definetely on the pushrod tube seals.
they leak by design.

It is an easy fix if you choose to wait, you can fix it in the car.

Pelican has a great article on it.

Rich
Allan
QUOTE (r_towle @ Jan 9 2005, 05:43 PM)
No on the washers.

It's too late. I put just a little under the washers (Not even enough to push out under torque). We'll see I guess. IPB Image
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (Headrage @ Jan 9 2005, 05:50 PM)
QUOTE (r_towle @ Jan 9 2005, 05:43 PM)
No on the washers.

It's too late. I put just a little under the washers (Not even enough to push out under torque). We'll see I guess. IPB Image

You'll be fine with what you got.
????? Did you only do one head? Normally I do both heads at the same time torquing each down in the steps outlined in several technical manuals.
Allan
I only did the 3 & 4 side. I know that Tom Wilson's book says to do them together but then Jake's video shows them as seperate assemblies. I'm working on the 1 & 2 now.
Jake Raby
Liquid teflon cut a bit with some mineral spirits works well..

The best thing is Curil T
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.