Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: muffler question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
double-a
despite the custom "folgers can" hole patch, i think the muffler on the '75 1.8 needs replacing. but before i go out and get one, i need a question answered.

i've heard on a couple occasions that "backdating" the entire exhaust system can add a nudge of hp to a 1.8. if this is true, what (if any) additional muffler options are opened up if i do this? and what roadblocks will i encounter? what component parts are necessary? thanks,

~a

p.s. restoring this car is turning out to be a lot of fun (aside from the persistent vacuum leak... grrrr), and i appreciate the mass knowledge of this forum, without which i would have learned and accomplished little. IPB Image
Bleyseng
The 75/76 HE's suck big time with the J tube set up. Find a set of 1.7 or 2.0l SSI stainless steel HE's, proper hanger bracket and the muffler (Bursch is nice). Locate a complete set of proper tin and heat guides and voila! killer heat and 'mo power! plus the HE's don't rust away on ya.

Geoff
Joe Bob
Backdating is mostly a 911 (engine) thing....it means using pre smog heat exchangers with equal lenght tues that use a dual in banana muffler.

Never heard it used on four bangers...but I assume that would mean the same....using the 73-74 style heat exchangers....either OEM or SSIs.....but you need the correct muffler hanger and muff....
double-a
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Jan 9 2005, 05:42 PM)
The 75/76 HE's suck big time with the J tube set up. Find a set of 1.7 or 2.0l SSI stainless steel HE's, proper hanger bracket and the muffler (Bursch is nice). Locate a complete set of proper tin and heat guides and voila! killer heat and 'mo power! plus the HE's don't rust away on ya.

Geoff

being a relative noob here, i'm gonna ask what is probably some really dumb questions.

the j-tube comes from where on the engine? do i need an entire set of different engine tin? and why is that necessary?

but you need the correct muffler hanger and muff....

that's why i wanted to figure out all this exchanger business first, don't want to have to get a new muffler later.

~a
Mueller
QUOTE (double-a @ Jan 9 2005, 06:21 PM)
despite the custom "folgers can" hole patch, i think the muffler on the '75 1.8 needs replacing. but before i go out and get one, i need a question answered.

i've heard on a couple occasions that "backdating" the entire exhaust system can add a nudge of hp to a 1.8. if this is true, what (if any) additional muffler options are opened up if i do this? and what roadblocks will i encounter? what component parts are necessary? thanks,

~a

p.s. restoring this car is turning out to be a lot of fun (aside from the persistent vacuum leak... grrrr), and i appreciate the mass knowledge of this forum, without which i would have learned and accomplished little. IPB Image

do a search for something along the lines of
"heat exchanger AND Dave Darling"

he lists all of the parts needed....

supposedly going from the restrictive '75/'76 exhaust to the earlier setup can gain you from 5 to 8 hp.....it also gives you more options for mufflers and such
Rhodes71/914
Locate a complete set of proper tin and heat guides and voila!

I will be using my 1.7 H/E on my 75 2.0 motor and was not aware that I needed different tin, is this true?
rhodyguy
the engine "tin" you will need are the pieces under the cylinders, on the drivers side the shifter will be below it. the earlier style (pre 75)attaches differently to the heat exchangers than the later. the j-tube connects to the s-shaped piece that runs from the fan shroud to the inlet of the h/e.
double-a
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jan 9 2005, 10:27 PM)
do a search for something along the lines of
"heat exchanger AND Dave Darling"

he lists all of the parts needed....

supposedly going from the restrictive '75/'76 exhaust to the earlier setup can gain you from 5 to 8 hp.....it also gives you more options for mufflers and such

how right you are, it's on this thread:

To use the 2.0 heat exchangers (or SSIs) on a 75-76 914 (either 1.8 or 2.0), you will need:

The 2.0 exchangers
The 2.0 muffler
The 2.0 muffler hanger
2 muffler gaskets
4 2.0 exhaust gaskets (the copper rings)
8 exhaust nuts (usually best to replace them)
All of the heater hardware except for some hoses. That means--

2 S-shaped ducts from the fan shroud to the exchangers
2 J-shaped tubes from the large holes in the engine tin to the S-ducts
2 Extension pipes from the exchangers to the flapper valves
2 Flapper valves
2 Hoses from the flapper valves to the heater channels in the chassis

You can actually use the 75-76 flapper valves and the hoses; but the flappers can be a real pain to remove from the late exchangers (or the early extension pipes), and the hoses often need to be replaced anyway.

If you don't get the heater hardware, the exhaust will still function--but the heat won't.

seems like a lot of parts, so where's the best place to get all this stuff at once? i could buy the parts piecemeal, but would rather get it all in one place.

~a
double-a
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Jan 10 2005, 08:51 AM)
the engine "tin" you will need are the pieces under the cylinders, on the drivers side the shifter will be below it. the earlier style (pre 75)attaches differently to the heat exchangers than the later. the j-tube connects to the s-shaped piece that runs from the fan shroud to the inlet of the h/e.

ahhh, thank you. that explains a lot i think.

~a
rhodyguy
so when you have the aux fan in the engine compartment running, it helps to push air through while the fan on the engine is spinning at lower rpm. the air comes out the other side of the h/e, to branch tube, to belows, to flex tube, to inlet on the fire wall.

kevin
rhodyguy
what par of my reply was unclear?

kevin
914werke
Great Pic's Kev. Makes perfect sense to me! IPB Image
rhodyguy
and to further confuse the issue, the shift rod runs under the tin piece for a sideshift trans. the shift rod runs on top of the tin in a tailshift trans. IPB Image . so to do the conversion in your car, you need the tin off of a 73-74.

kevin
double-a
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Jan 10 2005, 09:16 AM)
and to further confuse the issue, the shift rod runs under the tin piece for a sideshift trans. the shift rod runs on top of the tin in a tailshift trans. IPB Image . so to do the conversion in your car, you need the tin off of a 73-74.

kevin

but just the tin under the engine, correct?

~a
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.