Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question on 914-6 GT rims sizes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
I'm curious as to what the factory shipped size wise for wheels on 914-6 GT's. I am talking factory flared GT's.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,

Bill P.
rick 918-S
I seem to recall they were 15 x7's but I could be mistaken.
Vysoc
TC has a copy of the factory spec sheet, I think it was 8" x 15" in the Rear and 7" x 15" in the font Fuchs Alloys obviously.

His friend Steve has the Eric Strenger M471 in Tampa which would have the proper sizes which on that one I think they were 7" x 15" on all four corners?

confused24.gif My 2 cents.

Vysoc flag.gif
Johny Blackstain
I seem to remember reading recently that they were 15"x7" all around for most & some (not all) had 15"x8" in the back, but don't hold me to that.
Eric_Shea
15x7 front
15x8 rear

M471 cars should have 15x6 all around with spacers (Strenger car)
nine14cats
Thanks Guys!

I have 15x7 and 15x8 Fuchs. What is the original tire sizes?

Bill P.
brant
I've seen 6's
SirAndy
Below is the actual factory list of combinations. There are quite a few different combinations that were used.

Yeah, i know it's in German ... rolleyes.gif

Einpresstiefe = Offset (in mm)
Felgen = Wheels
Reifen = Tires

smile.gif

SirAndy
So bottom line, they used:

Front / Rear

7"x15 / 7"x15
7"x15 / 8"x15
7"x15 / 9"x15
8"x15 / 8"x15
8"x15 / 9"x15
9"x15 / 11"x15

and had a 35mm spacer in the front on the combinations that used 7" front wheels ...

shades.gif
Dave_Darling
Andy, where is that info from? Am I wrong to think that there were no 285/40/15 tires (which are called for in the document there) back when the 914 was new?

The GTs were race cars. They probably had a variety of different wheels at different times, dictated mainly by the rule set of whatever race they were running. And the rules could and did change--and one car might run different series with different rules as well.

Any particular reason you need to know what was originally used on the (relatively few) Factory-built 914-6GT cars? Are you restoring one?

--DD
nine14cats
Thanks Andy! That helps a bunch!

Dave, How's it going? Long time no see!

I'm thinking of running Leeloo at Parade. I'd like to run her in Improved 2 class. She is really close in configuration but there are a few things such as having to put back in the front headlights and such. Also there are some rules regarding size of rims.

I'm trying to understand the backdating/updating rules as the tub is a 1971 and now has metal GT flares and a full interior with bolt in cage. It also has a 7" wide front rims and 8" wide rears, and there are rules pertaining to how much rim you can have and stay in Improved. Oh...and the motor is a nicely built Carrera 3.2 with Steve Wong chip. It's a great motor.

I recently sold my Spec Boxster and am getting ready to start on a full blown race car project, so this would be more for street / AX duty.

Thanks,

Bill P.
brant
I don't see how a 3.2 motor in place of a 2.0 motor is improved....
it sounds like a GT class car to me!

back in the day when I did club racing

- stock was stock
- improved was stock with minor wheel upgrades or brake upgrades... but 100% stock displacement
- and anything with larger displacement was GT

brant
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 20 2014, 02:41 PM) *
Andy, where is that info from? Am I wrong to think that there were no 285/40/15 tires (which are called for in the document there) back when the 914 was new?

DGVWPB

And yes, there were tires in that size when the 914 was new.

In fact, 285/40/15 on 9" wheels and 345/35/15 on 11" wheels was a popular wheel & tire combo on quite a few cars at the time.
smile.gif
johnhora
agree with Brant....GT class 1-6
the class is determined by a weight/HP performance index
the rest of the rules are mainly like your Spec Boxster
check out the rules here at PCA Club Racing rules location
would be a fun race car...not sure how many are running in these GT classes anymore

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http%3A%...le%2520Book.pdf
nine14cats
QUOTE(johnhora @ Mar 20 2014, 03:47 PM) *

agree with Brant....GT class 1-6
the class is determined by a weight/HP performance index
the rest of the rules are mainly like your Spec Boxster
check out the rules here at PCA Club Racing rules location
would be a fun race car...not sure how many are running in these GT classes anymore

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http%3A%...le%2520Book.pdf

I'm currently racing in PCA Club Racing and Nasa with other cars but I'm talking about Parade Autocross for street cars and specifically a 914-6.

I don't make the rules, I'm just trying to interpret them. There are no GT classes in PCA Parade rules.

Here is the link to Zone 7's AX rules, which are identical to Parade's except for where noted. They now have Showroom Stock, Production, Improved and Modified. Since the car is basically a street car without the headlights, I'm trying to figure out where it fits.

Parade / Zone 7 AX Rules

Thanks,

Bill P.
Dave_Darling
Wait, is this the "Chinese menu" points system that they had been using a few years back, or is this yet another complete revision of the class structure??

--DD
nine14cats
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 21 2014, 08:07 AM) *

Wait, is this the "Chinese menu" points system that they had been using a few years back, or is this yet another complete revision of the class structure??

--DD

Hi Dave,

Loma Prieta Region is running Parade rules for their AX season. Golden Gate Region is running the points system.

I'm thinking of running at Parade, so I'm trying to get the car into the Improved 2 class according to Parade AX rules. I need to do a few things, but the car is close.

Bill P.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.