Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Tires Are You Running?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
tumamilhem
My 1975 2.2 has almost new BF Goodrich P-Sport 195-55-R15 tires. They're my third set (second on this 914 and also had P-Sports on my GLI VR6). Great tires, but they don't make them anymore.

On my GLI VR6 I have Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires which are AMAAAAAAAAAAzing. I friggin' LOVE these tires. But sadly, they don't make them for a 15" wheel.

My LE has Ohtsu Zexius 205-60-R15. They're newish but these tires are pretty terrible. They hold no traction in wet condition. So I'm looking for new tires. Also trying to decide whether to keep 205-60 or go 205-65. I like the 55 on my other 914, but probably dangerously too low. Suggestions?

I am mostly concerned for performance. I'd rather buy good tires that I have to replace more often than get tires that aren't as good performers that will last me a few years. Hydroplaning and wet traction are priority. I could care less about comfort and road noise (we drive 914s, after all).

What tires do you guys really like - or would like on your cars?
Big Len
Just today, I ordered 4 Bridgestone RE960 Pole Position tires, sized 195/65r15 for my stock bodied car. These are discontinued but still available. Everything I read seemed to be pretty positive without breaking the budget ($104 each mounted and balanced) Was gonna go with 60s but I like the look of a slightly larger sidewall and I didn't want to change the gearing/speedo.
GeorgeRud
195/65 15 is the closest to the original size if that's what you're looking for. The sidewalls do look tall in comparison to most modern cars, but they are period correct. I'd check with tire Rack or their competition to see what's available in that size as it seems to change all to often as tires are discontinues.

Coker tire can help you out! but you don't want to know the prices!
tumamilhem
Yeah, I always spend a lot of time on Tire Rack doing research. But I wanted to hear from other members what they have actually used and are very happy with. These are my current two searches there - One is for size 205-60-15 and the other is 205-65-15. Anybody running 205-65? Too big?

Too bad they don't make those Michelin Pilot Super Sports in 15" :/

205-60-15 http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchRe...amp;diameter=15

205-65-15 http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchRe...amp;diameter=15
DRPHIL914
Michelin's are nice tires, but always a bit more and dont usually last as long as they are rated for- in my experience.
I can't help much as i dont have 15" rims, and have not had 15" fuchs either 4 or 5 lug on my car, - but you might look at Kohmo tires, i had a set on another car and had excellent traction all-weather, lasted about 50K miles.
So i just got some 14" fuchs from a 914/6 and put them on my '75,, my local porsche mechanic and i went over a few options, price was good, at about $100/tire mounted balanced and installed, included shipping, and they ordered them from tirerack! they are 195/65- 14, - here is where i learned something. I had EMPI 15" before,195-55/15's, and they were snug but fit , but now with the fuchs the offset is better and i have a good 3/4" + of room- i could have put on 205's with no problem whatsoever- but these look period correct, yes they are just a bit smaller than the stock 185 70 14's that came on the 914/6 but my speedo is right on the money. there are several off brands that my other tire shop carries that are still a good speed rating, rankin or Nexxen , something like that, on those EMPI's - but now that i know i can fit the 205's i'm looking for some 15" fuchs for D.E./AX , and keep these for road.
- now on my 2000 boxster i just replaced my rear tires and stayed with Pirelli P-Zero's , i really like them!, i would have bought pirelli's for the 914 if they made that size-
tumamilhem
I'm not so much worried about the speed rating because I Drive a stock 2.0.. Hydroplaning and wet traction are my biggest concern. I want a grippy tire and drive with confidence. Typically a tire that needs those needs has a higher speed rating anyway because they're more performance oriented. These are actually the first Michelin tires I bought and I bought them for their performance. BFGoodrich g-force sport were very good but they don't make those anymore and they were very inexpensive too. I will keep them on 15 inch whebecause its for my LE. I'm just looking to see what's new out there available in a 15" wheel that is very good performance wise.

Do you remember which model you had before? Will research them.
ripper911
I'm using maypops!
Spoke
Riken Raptors

Front on 6x16:
205/50/16

Rear on 7x16:
225/50/16

Had to pull out the rear fenders to fit.
tumamilhem
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Mar 21 2014, 01:14 PM) *

I'm using maypops!

Never heard of those confused24.gif
Like them?
tumamilhem
QUOTE(Spoke @ Mar 21 2014, 01:59 PM) *

Riken Raptors

Front on 6x16:
205/50/16

Rear on 7x16:
225/50/16

Had to pull out the rear fenders to fit.

How do you like them?
Spoke
No complaints with the Raptors. They seem to grip well. Haven't had them long enough to know about the longevity.
ripper911
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 21 2014, 02:21 PM) *

I'm using maypops!

Like them?

They " may pop " at any moment.

IPB Image
wndsnd
Jesus Ripper !

I will send you wheels and tires if you pay the shipping.

John
Spoke
Looks like big time toe-in or you're driving NASCAR left-turn-only ovals. smile.gif
ripper911
Vroom-Vroom driving.gif

I've never been accused of changing parts before the end of their use full life.

I'll buy some more soon.
thelogo
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 21 2014, 08:23 AM) *

I'm not so much worried about the speed rating because I Drive a stock 2.0.. Hydroplaning and wet traction are my biggest concern. I want a grippy tire and drive with confidence. Typically a tire that needs those needs has a higher speed rating anyway because they're more performance oriented. These are actually the first Michelin tires I bought and I bought them for their performance. BFGoodrich g-force sport were very good but they don't make those anymore and they were very inexpensive too. I will keep them on 15 inch whebecause its for my LE. I'm just looking to see what's new out there available in a 15" wheel that is very good performance wise.

What you describe , but I doubt you will ever go.with is a setup like mine

TOURING TIRES BRA !!!!

I bought this car with this tire setup and it is awesome , doubt ill ever be able
To duplicate when these go bald but

On 4 bolt fuchs all 195/55/15

Fronts touring nitto. Hard to find tire

And rear continetal touring

This is a all around setup ,best all around I think

Not for.all out " cone.dodging "

And in all honesty I drive more gt touring style

Then lateral g skidpad

tumamilhem
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Mar 21 2014, 03:15 PM) *

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 21 2014, 02:21 PM) *

I'm using maypops!

Like them?

They " may pop " at any moment.

IPB Image

Damn, dude! blink.gif
tumamilhem
QUOTE(thelogo @ Mar 21 2014, 11:44 PM) *

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 21 2014, 08:23 AM) *

What you describe , but I doubt you will ever go.with is a setup like mine

TOURING TIRES BRA !!!!

I bought this car with this tire setup and it is awesome , doubt ill ever be able
To duplicate when these go bald but

On 4 bolt fuchs all 195/55/15

Fronts touring nitto. Hard to find tire

And rear continetal touring

This is a all around setup ,best all around I think

Not for.all out " cone.dodging "

And in all honesty I drive more gt touring style

Then lateral g skidpad

What model are the Nittos and the Continentals? I'll research them. idea.gif

tumamilhem
I see some 914 owners seem to like the Goodyear Eagle GT (or maybe it's one of the better of the lot because we're limited due to our wheel size).

I also see some 914 owners with the Dunlop SP Sport Signature. Never driven on those. Again, may be one of the better in the limited 15" lot.

I had the Firestone Precision Sport last time on my GLI. They also come in a 15" wheel. They were just okay.

There's a few different Bridgestone Potenzas that are supposed to be goo, that vary in performance per model.

thelogo
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 21 2014, 09:08 PM) *

I see some 914 owners seem to like the Goodyear Eagle GT (or maybe it's one of the better of the lot because we're limited due to our wheel size).

I also see some 914 owners with the Dunlop SP Sport Signature. Never driven on those. Again, may be one of the better in the limited 15" lot.

I had the Firestone Precision Sport last time on my GLI. They also come in a 15" wheel. They were just okay.

There's a few different Bridgestone Potenzas that are supposed to be goo, that vary in performance per model.

Actually 195-60-15

Nitto nt 460 premium touring

Conti s all season touring contact

These tires combo is as they say in britin " cream"

" Answer my questions or you'll be standing tall before the man "

Anyone know what this means ?
thelogo
QUOTE(thelogo @ Mar 21 2014, 09:26 PM) *

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 21 2014, 09:08 PM) *

O
Actually 195-60-15

Nitro nt 460 premium touring

Conti s all season touring contact

These tires combo is as they say in britin " cream"

" Answer my questions or you'll be standing tall before the man "

Anyone know what this means ?

And

Don't let the chrome blind you ,but I think any tire will work great I consider
Tire pressue or air pressue to be a critical factor , I'm usaually the only guy
At the car show with a psi gauge and a slime cig plug air compressor
Fiddleing with my tires ... It's a critical factor

" one thing I hate is a unlocked foot locker , you know that "
tumamilhem
I keep a portable tire inflater in my car as well.
thelogo
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 21 2014, 09:45 PM) *

I keep a portable tire inflater in my car as well.

You also need a seperate digital tire gauge not just a portable compressor

I.always say that tires are important as they are the only thing holding/ keeping you on the road

"So Why did you join my beloved core ? To kill sir . so your a killer ? Let me see your war face ?

somd914
Thumbs up on Goodyear Eagle GT (195/60-15). Decent grip, decent feel in the wheel, decent ride, look a little wider than the Pirelli's that I had before.

But from what I've heard they were recently discontinued so supplies are dwindling.
Type 47
I have Michelin XZX 165SR15's on mine. The mfg. date code on them is like Oct. 1991.

They are pretty much still full tread! they have not seen much asphalt in the last 22 years. I guess I'm going to have to replaced them when the resto is finished, so a lot of good info in this thread!

IPB Image
tumamilhem
WOW! Is there any dry rot? If they stay inflated and roll once in a while, the belts will still be good. Maybe you can still use them.
Type 47
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 22 2014, 08:23 AM) *

WOW! Is there any dry rot? If they stay inflated and roll once in a while, the belts will still be good. Maybe you can still use them.

No dry rot at all. In fact the little rubber tits that stick out of new tires are still on them.
tumamilhem
Roll them. If they hadn't been inflated in a while and stood still, the belt inside will bend. This can be only temporary, as you drive they round out again. But if they were greatly deflated while sitting and didn't roll occasionally, the bend in the belt could be damaged. Otherwise, you can still use them. smile.gif
somd914
Trip down memory lane with the XXZs...

Rubber that old won't have any grip and is likely to be rotting even if you can't see it. Most say 6-7 years and replace.
Larmo63
Goodyear Eagle GTs are now called "Sport AS"....

I'm buying 195/65 r15 tires...
steuspeed
QUOTE(Big Len @ Mar 20 2014, 03:44 PM) *

Just today, I ordered 4 Bridgestone RE960 Pole Position tires, sized 195/65r15 for my stock bodied car. These are discontinued but still available. Everything I read seemed to be pretty positive without breaking the budget ($104 each mounted and balanced) Was gonna go with 60s but I like the look of a slightly larger sidewall and I didn't want to change the gearing/speedo.

I had those same tires for 500 miles before I sold them on craigslist. The looks even dissapointed. The turn in was so soft and wishy washy. All my fun razor sharp turning went away over the Pirelli P6000s. I'm running Dunlop Direzza Star Specs in 195-55-15 (no longer availible). Lower gearing means more shifting and higher revs on the hwy. More scraping with lower ride. Grip is great. Turn in much improved, but not as good as the P6000 again. The Eagle GT in the 205-60-15 might be a better choice I think. The P6000 is expensive, but stiff ride. Great cornering though. driving.gif
steuspeed
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Mar 22 2014, 09:20 PM) *

Goodyear Eagle GTs are now called "Sport AS"....

The Sport AS is a different tire. Read the Product Description tabs on tirerack.
914_teener
I just put the new 970 Bridgestone Potenzas on our 350z.

I really like them. They are rated for all weather driving and are way quieter than the crappy 960's that were on there before.

They are not as sticky as the Pole Positions that came with the car and will run in the rain pretty well down there. Plus they have a 40K wear guaranty....not that you will ever need that on a teener.

Tires can get rather subjective. I like on my teener, stiff sidewalls and a sticky tire.
I don't worry about wet pavement here cause I don't drive mine in the rain.

Hope this helps.
Type 47
QUOTE(somd914 @ Mar 22 2014, 08:00 PM) *

Trip down memory lane with the XXZs...

Rubber that old won't have any grip and is likely to be rotting even if you can't see it. Most say 6-7 years and replace.

agree.gif I will save them for a car show and then replace them when the resto is finished, hopefully by fall.
abes914
I got mine running on Dunlop sp sports 5000. 195 65 15 on narrow body. I think they are great. I drove it on a so cal winter storm 20 miles confidently. Acelaration and braking is good considering we are driving a 914 smile.gif
tumamilhem
Unfortunately, there's not much to choose from in a 15" wheel anymore, with oversized wheels trending the last few years.

The BF Goodrich g-Force tires I have on my red car (195-55-15) only have a few hundred miles on them. They are my 3rd set (2x for the 914, once for my GLI VR6). I thought about swapping them for the ones on my LE before my red car goes since they're discontinued and I like them so much (for what was available in 15" tires). And I like the low look of them and performance. But that xar rides LOW and I'd like to keep the LE looking somewhat stock. I may stay with the size on there 205-60-15. I think really though, it's going to come down to the best of what's available. I may try the Eagle GT this time.

So selling tires on Craigslist worked? Better luck to do that or take them to a used tire shop? I can't imagine buying used tires. Dangerous.

Michelin, make your Pilot Super Sports in a 15"! Why'd you have to stop at 16"? :/.
nsr-jamie
Not sure for the North American market but here in Japan I bought some Bridgestone Potenza RE11A ones, I got mine in 195/50-15 but they are also available in a 55 series like your old tire, they offer lots of grip and I absolutely love them and 15 inch tires are so cheap compared to modern 18 inch or larger tires...I think the 50 series is a bit too low for me and when the day comes for new tires I will probably go with the 55 tires if they are still available.

IPB Image
mittelmotor
^This. RE-11s are fantastic. They wear quickly but a ton of grip. I had a set on a Corvette C6 I used to own, and they were very quiet too despite the widths (265 front, 305 rear).
Andyrew
^I had RE050s before they turned to RE11's.. FANTASTIC tires... Best set of tires I ever had.. I even put 40k miles on them and they are 1/2 gone! Used on my Audi A4..
OU8AVW
Just bought a set of Bridgestone 960 Pole Positions today from Tire Rack.... SHould be here tomorrow. I went with 195/60 R15 for 2.0 Fuchs.
Larmo63
I did some investigating, what about Yokohama S. Drive - 205/55 r15s?

Are 205/55 tires okay fitment-wise on 2.0 Fuchs wheels? No rubbing? spacers needed?

tumamilhem
Nice. Thanks mittelmotor and Andyrew. I'll look into the Bridgestone Potenza RE11A and RE050 to compare and check out their performance stats and reviews. smile.gif
Big Len
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Mar 24 2014, 03:45 PM) *

I did some investigating, what about Yokohama S. Drive - 205/55 r15s?

Are 205/55 tires okay fitment-wise on 2.0 Fuchs wheels? No rubbing? spacers needed?

The consensus in a previous thread said 205/60r15 tires will rub in rear without rolling the fenders in most cases.

If you look at the picture post of the guy from Japan (silver car w the RE11's), it looks like the tire's sidewall doesn't fill the wheel well. There's quite a bit of room in front and behind the tire because of the smaller sidewall. Some people fill that with a larger wheel. Something to consider if you're trying for a certain look.
Andyrew
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 25 2014, 09:20 AM) *

Nice. Thanks mittelmotor and Andyrew. I'll look into the Bridgestone Potenza RE11A and RE050 to compare and check out their performance stats and reviews. smile.gif

Dont check out the RE050's The one's I bought were back when they called the RE11A's RE050 R's. So if you want that super sticky goodness that your car deserves, grab the new RE11A's.
dale73914
I've got a set of Riviera's on my teener, and it's currently on 165 r 15's that are probably past their use by date.

heaps of room in the front, but only about 2cm worth at the rear ( and less on one side than the other ) .
The rear guard lips seems to be trimmed ( the metal has a scalloped section at the top, but im not sure if this is stok or not ).

Any advice on what i should be look at size wise ??

Maybe a trip to the tyre shop for a test fit exercise .....
speed metal army
I had RE11's on my 951, and yeah the are pretty sticky. Good stuff!
tumamilhem
QUOTE(speed metal army @ Mar 26 2014, 12:38 AM) *

Can't use them on 914 15" wheels. The Potenza RE-11A only makes two tires in a 15" wheel. Both are too low:
195-50-15
205-50-15

The Potenza RE-11 doesn't even come in a 15" wheel.

confused24.gif
Big Len
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 26 2014, 10:43 AM) *

QUOTE(speed metal army @ Mar 26 2014, 12:38 AM) *

Can't use them on 914 15" wheels. The Potenza RE-11A only makes two tires in a 15" wheel. Both are too low:
195-50-15
205-50-15

The Potenza RE-11 doesn't even come in a 15" wheel.

confused24.gif

That's the problem. Many of these summer performance tires have gone the way of the dinosaur. So it's a compromise or changing your wheels.
tumamilhem
Can't do that either. Have to keep my LE OG. Can Am-ing it. driving.gif
nsr-jamie
The new RE11-A tires do come in a 55 series tire,...but this is in Japan...not sure if they are available in your market....here is a link to the Japanese site in Japanese...perhaps you can use that part number (PSR12571) to see if you can special order a set from your dealer.

Here is the link...

http://www.bridgestone.co.jp/sc/potenza/re11a/15inch.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.