Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Cooler Suggestions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tumamilhem
I want to put an extra external oil cooler on my car. I know most of you don't think one is needed, but I live in FL and in summer especially, the conditions are a lot hotter than you're probably used to. Also, it wouldn't hurt for the health (and performance) of the engine.

What kind (brand/size/etc.) of oil cooler do you guys suggest? Also, where do you suggest exactly it go (without physically modifying the car)? I have a big one under my '75 that works really well because it gets constant air. But one time I went over an incline that was waaaay too steep and hit it, rendering oil everywhere. This one was moved back farther closer to the wheel to prevent that and I've had no problems since (and running low tires at 195-55-R15). But open to other suggestions.

Here's a pic of the one under my '75 mounted to the chassis just in front of the rear passenger wheel:

Click to view attachment
McMark
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=108328

Lotsa info.
SirAndy
Instead of dropping the actual cooler so low to get air flow, how about you put the cooler higher up (above the floorpan and engine mount bar height) and just add a fiberglass scoop to get fresh air through the cooler.

That way, if you ever bottom out, you only destroy the scoop and not the cooler and/or engine.
shades.gif
tumamilhem
What kind/size oil cooler do you recommend, Andy? Where can I find this fiberglass scoop? Never seen one.
SirAndy
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 20 2014, 04:21 PM) *
What kind/size oil cooler do you recommend, Andy? Where can I find this fiberglass scoop? Never seen one.

A trip to TAP plastics and a few hours of your time and you have yourself a scoop. Keep the mold, just in case you need to make a replacement.

As for the size of the cooler, i'd say find a spot under the trunk where one could fit and then get a cooler to match, not the other way round.
shades.gif
brant
way too low
scary
Mblizzard
For me, this comes down to surface area and air flow. The les of one you have can be made up for by having more of the other. With the 914, placement options usually limits the aid flow with out a lot of modification. So an oil cooler with a lot of surface area seems to be the easiest approach.

Because i was going to mount my oil cooler up high in an area with limited air flow, I went with a 96 Plate Oil Cooler and a 9" Cooling Fan. Seems to work well.
tumamilhem
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Mar 20 2014, 08:57 PM) *

For me, this comes down to surface area and air flow. The les of one you have can be made up for by having more of the other. With the 914, placement options usually limits the aid flow with out a lot of modification. So an oil cooler with a lot of surface area seems to be the easiest approach.

Because i was going to mount my oil cooler up high in an area with limited air flow, I went with a 96 Plate Oil Cooler and a 9" Cooling Fan. Seems to work well.

Where are you putting yours? How are you mounting it and the fan? Yeah I want to do as little modification as possible on my LE. Any other car it wouldn't matter. I don't want to drill holes in the trunk or anything.
Mblizzard
I mounted above the axel on the trunk. I drilled the holes but there are ways to mount with the drilling but much harder to do.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.